Delegate Administration Tasks

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have created a few OUs that will hold different distribution groups. I
have created a security group named "Group Creators" Here they can create
and delete groups, change membership, and rename if necessary. My AD
permissions for this work fine, but I see that if a user creates the group
they are the owner of that group and can modify the group's ACL. Is there a
way that if a user creates a group that they are not the "owner" of it so
that the security permissions cannot be modified. When I log in as Admin and
take the ownership away they can still modify all items that I had specified,
but cannot modify the security ACLs on the group. I can't seem to find how
set Administrators as default owner no matter who creates the group.

This is a known behavior that MS will, hopefully, fix in the future. In the
meantime, there are third-party provisioning/delegation tools that you can
buy. Alternatively, you can script your own provisioning tool that
impersonates a specific account and tell your admins to use that tool. The
objects they create in that tool will have the impersonated account as
owner.

--

Sincerely,
Dèjì Akómöláfé, MCSE+M MCSA+M MCP+I