Computer name already exists???

Hey everybody. I have this problem at work that I cannot figure out
at all. I have this computer running Windows 2000. Every time I try
to give the computer a name and log in under the local administrator
account, I get a Windows System Error that says "A duplicate name
exists on the network". I have restaged the computer 2 times already
and this message keeps popping up no matter what computer name or
workgroup name I give it. I tried deleting and reinstalling TCP/IP as
well. Nothing seems to work. I am able to ping the DNS server. So
it isn’t DNS. It acts as if no matter how much I am telling it that
the computer name has changed, it must still be seeing the first name
that I put in. Urgh! Has anybody run into this problem before? If
so, how do I fix it? I have never run across this problem before and
neither has anybody else in the company. I’d appreciate any
suggestions you can give me. Thanks!

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Active-Directory-Computer-exists-ftopict420429.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1404703

On 12 Sep 2005 20:36:06 -0400, Joe_Mama <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote:

>Hey everybody. I have this problem at work that I cannot figure out
>at all. I have this computer running Windows 2000. Every time I try
>to give the computer a name and log in under the local administrator
>account, I get a Windows System Error that says "A duplicate name
>exists on the network". I have restaged the computer 2 times already
>and this message keeps popping up no matter what computer name or
>workgroup name I give it. I tried deleting and reinstalling TCP/IP as
>well. Nothing seems to work. I am able to ping the DNS server. So
>it isn’t DNS. It acts as if no matter how much I am telling it that
>the computer name has changed, it must still be seeing the first name
>that I put in. Urgh! Has anybody run into this problem before? If
>so, how do I fix it? I have never run across this problem before and
>neither has anybody else in the company. I’d appreciate any
>suggestions you can give me. Thanks!

This could happen if the 'first name' is invalid.

See tips
3352 » Duplicate name error when you connect to a Windows 2000 server using an alias?

and

0062 » Give your machine a Netbios alias in Windows NT.
in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsifaq.com

Jerold Schulman
Windows Server MVP
JSI, Inc.