dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
With the price cuts I´m leaning towards buying an athlon 3800 just because it´s double core and it´s cheap. But I can´t decide on which motherboard to buy for it. I´m buying from newegg but none of the motherboards that support AM2 seems great. They either have too few reviews or have only 4 eggs but the few bad reviews are really bad.

Can someone tell me from experience which one is a good AM2 board and why? Maybe list some pros and cons so I can make a better choice.

Thanks in advance!

robnfl

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2006
Yup, with these prices I'm gonna go with one of these AM2 processors. Are there any recommendations for a motherboard and RAM?

Rob

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
It´s gonna be hard to get a good recomendation for mobo and RAM everybody seems to be waiting for conroe.
Maybe conroe is better but I think AM2 has a better upgrade path.
That´s why I´m going with AM2.

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
It´s gonna be hard to get a good recomendation for mobo and RAM everybody seems to be waiting for conroe.

Yup, seems like it...

Maybe conroe is better but I think AM2 has a better upgrade path.

Well, Conroe and its mobos are kinda scarce.

That´s why I´m going with AM2.

The problem with AM2 is that it is also new. I suggest that you look at Asus motherboards with nVidia 550/570/590 chipsets.
Pick the mobo based on the best features match to your needs.
Then go to Corsair, Kingston, etc (memory OEM) websites to find the best memory match to the mobo you selected.

Generally you pay a slight premium for Asus boards. In return you get more attention paid to Bios/chipset updates, high quality components, good voltage regulation, and usually custom BIOS overclocking features. These advantages are not all exclusive to Asus by any means, but can be hit&miss with other vendors.

My comments will help you best if you plan to run higher-end games or overclock. If neither apply then tell me what you want to do...

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
I don´t plan to overclock but I don´t mind having a good overclocking mobo. The Epox I had was an overclocking mobo and I liked it because it was very stable.
But I haven´t find any AM2 board that seems as good as that one or the DFI mobos

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
I saw that one but it doesn´t look as good as the ones for socket 939 I think they´re called lanparty or something.
I wish that that mobo at least had some reviews to know if there are known problems for them.

sunangel

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
Geez, I wish you had said you could care less about overclocking. Had you said that, I could have recommended at least two mobos that freakin' rock on AM2.

If you decide to grow up and get over the overclocking thingy, let me know. I will be glad to give you info on at least two fabulous boards.

Cheers!

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
I´ve overclocked mildly but only on air.
If you can recommend any mobo overclocking or not please do.
That way I can compare and if the price difference is not that big I can get the one with the features I want.