Hello:

After a series of errors due to to many people having domain admin accounts
I have finally decided to run the Delegation of Control wizard and restrict
users access. I created a group and want to only allow them to do the
following.

1. Join Computers to the domain
2. Move computers between OU's
3. Reset user passwords
4. Create Exchange Mailboxes
5. Add and remove groups to users.

I tried to use the Delegation of Control wizard but it didn't seems to give
me these options. Does anyone have experience running this who could help
me out. Thanks.

Harrison Midkiff

Hello harrison,

you can definatly find these options but for that you have to do a customize
delegation. that will give you all the options. Also be careful about the
adminSDHolder

you can also go through article: KB 817433

need help mail me.

"Harrison Midkiff" wrote:

> Hello:
>
> After a series of errors due to to many people having domain admin accounts
> I have finally decided to run the Delegation of Control wizard and restrict
> users access. I created a group and want to only allow them to do the
> following.
>
> 1. Join Computers to the domain
> 2. Move computers between OU's
> 3. Reset user passwords
> 4. Create Exchange Mailboxes
> 5. Add and remove groups to users.
>
> I tried to use the Delegation of Control wizard but it didn't seems to give
> me these options. Does anyone have experience running this who could help
> me out. Thanks.
>
> Harrison Midkiff

Hello harrison,

Thanks you posting!

I agree with kapil. You may follow his helpful suggestion. More information
below is for your reference:

888204 How to use the Delegation of Control Wizard to grant permissions to a
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=888204

315676 HOW TO: Delegate Administrative Authority in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315676

883381 Delegating administrator roles to an administrative group can grant
the
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=883381

304935 How to set Exchange Server 2000 and 2003 mailbox rights at the time
of
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=304935

Hope the information helps. If there is anything that is unclear, please
feel free to let me know.

Thanks & Regards,

Jason Tan

Microsoft Online Partner Support

--------------------
| From: "=?Utf-8?B?a2FwaWw=?=" <kapil@discussions.microsoft.com>
| Subject: RE: Delegating Control...
| Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 22:57:02 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory
|
| Hello harrison,
|
| you can definatly find these options but for that you have to do a
customize
| delegation. that will give you all the options. Also be careful about the
| adminSDHolder
|
| you can also go through article: KB 817433
|
| need help mail me.
|
| "Harrison Midkiff" wrote:
|
| > Hello:
| >
| > After a series of errors due to to many people having domain admin
accounts
| > I have finally decided to run the Delegation of Control wizard and
restrict
| > users access. I created a group and want to only allow them to do the
| > following.
| >
| > 1. Join Computers to the domain
| > 2. Move computers between OU's
| > 3. Reset user passwords
| > 4. Create Exchange Mailboxes
| > 5. Add and remove groups to users.
| >
| > I tried to use the Delegation of Control wizard but it didn't seems to
give
| > me these options. Does anyone have experience running this who could
help
| > me out. Thanks.
| >
| > Harrison Midkiff

Jason:

Thanks for replying to my post.

I know how to do the Delegation of Control, but the descriptions of all the
permissions are not very good. Do you know any place that has good
descriptions of these?

Harrison Midkiff
"Jason Tan (MSFT)" <v-jasont@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello harrison,
>
> Thanks you posting!
>
> I agree with kapil. You may follow his helpful suggestion. More
> information
> below is for your reference:
>
> 888204 How to use the Delegation of Control Wizard to grant permissions to
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=888204
>
> 315676 HOW TO: Delegate Administrative Authority in Windows 2000
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315676
>
> 883381 Delegating administrator roles to an administrative group can grant
> the
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=883381
>
> 304935 How to set Exchange Server 2000 and 2003 mailbox rights at the time
> of
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=304935
>
> Hope the information helps. If there is anything that is unclear, please
> feel free to let me know.
>
> Thanks & Regards,
>
> Jason Tan
>
> Microsoft Online Partner Support

> rights.
>

> --------------------
> | From: "=?Utf-8?B?a2FwaWw=?=" <kapil@discussions.microsoft.com>
> | Subject: RE: Delegating Control...
> | Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 22:57:02 -0700
> | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory
> |
> | Hello harrison,
> |
> | you can definatly find these options but for that you have to do a
> customize
> | delegation. that will give you all the options. Also be careful about
> the
> | adminSDHolder
> |
> | you can also go through article: KB 817433
> |
> | need help mail me.
> |
> | "Harrison Midkiff" wrote:
> |
> | > Hello:
> | >
> | > After a series of errors due to to many people having domain admin
> accounts
> | > I have finally decided to run the Delegation of Control wizard and
> restrict
> | > users access. I created a group and want to only allow them to do the
> | > following.
> | >
> | > 1. Join Computers to the domain
> | > 2. Move computers between OU's
> | > 3. Reset user passwords
> | > 4. Create Exchange Mailboxes
> | > 5. Add and remove groups to users.
> | >
> | > I tried to use the Delegation of Control wizard but it didn't seems to
> give
> | > me these options. Does anyone have experience running this who could
> help
> | > me out. Thanks.
> | >
> | > Harrison Midkiff

Hi Harrision,

Thanks for your reply!

Based on my search, I cannot find the document which describes all the
permissions since it could be much more due the different requirement. You
may consider which permission should be granted to objects to custom a
delegate of control.

1. Join Computers to the domain
2. Move computers between OU's
3. Reset user passwords
4. Create Exchange Mailboxes
5. Add and remove groups to users.

I would like to provide you with some information for your reference:

1. Join Computers to the domain.

By default, domain user has permission to join 10 clients into domain.

2. Move computers between OU's

You may want to delegate user/group create, list, view permission to the
two OUs.

3. Reset user passwords

This is a common task which you may delegate to users/groups. Please refer
to "Reset user passwords and force password change at next logon" option in
common task.

4. Create Exchange Mailboxes

You may attempt to use common task "create, delete, and manage user
accounts."

5. Add and remove groups to users.

You may want to delegate users/groups full control permission to the groups
object.

More information for your reference:
Step-by-Step Guide to Using the Delegation of Control Wizard
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/technologies/
directory/activedirectory/stepbystep/ctrlwiz.mspx

Use this wizard to delegate administrative control
http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/ArticleID/22555/22555.html?Ad=1

Delegation of Control Wizard
http://www.serverwatch.com/tutorials/article.php/10825_1472441_2

Hope the information helps. If there is anything that is unclear, please
feel free to let me know.

Thanks & Regards,

Jason Tan

Microsoft Online Partner Support

--------------------
| From: "Harrison Midkiff" <HMidkiff@aviinc.com>
| Subject: Re: Delegating Control...
| Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 18:48:29 -0400
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory
|
| Jason:
|
| Thanks for replying to my post.
|
| I know how to do the Delegation of Control, but the descriptions of all
the
| permissions are not very good. Do you know any place that has good
| descriptions of these?
|
| Harrison Midkiff
| "Jason Tan (MSFT)" <v-jasont@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > Hello harrison,
| >
| > Thanks you posting!
| >
| > I agree with kapil. You may follow his helpful suggestion. More
| > information
| > below is for your reference:
| >
| > 888204 How to use the Delegation of Control Wizard to grant permissions
| > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=888204
| >
| > 315676 HOW TO: Delegate Administrative Authority in Windows 2000
| > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315676
| >
| > 883381 Delegating administrator roles to an administrative group can
grant
| > the
| > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=883381
| >
| > 304935 How to set Exchange Server 2000 and 2003 mailbox rights at the
time
| > of
| > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=304935
| >
| > Hope the information helps. If there is anything that is unclear, please
| > feel free to let me know.
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Jason Tan
| >
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support
| >
| > =====================================================
| >
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| >
| > =====================================================
| > rights.
| >

| > --------------------
| > | From: "=?Utf-8?B?a2FwaWw=?=" <kapil@discussions.microsoft.com>
| > | Subject: RE: Delegating Control...
| > | Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 22:57:02 -0700
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory
| > |
| > | Hello harrison,
| > |
| > | you can definatly find these options but for that you have to do a
| > customize
| > | delegation. that will give you all the options. Also be careful about
| > the
| > | adminSDHolder
| > |
| > | you can also go through article: KB 817433
| > |
| > | need help mail me.
| > |
| > | "Harrison Midkiff" wrote:
| > |

| > accounts
| > restrict

| > give
| > help

| > |

Have a read through Sanjay Tandan's Best Practices for Delegating Active
Directory Administration document published on Microsoft's site. The Best
Practices for Delegating Active Directory Administration: Appendices has a
lot of details that you may find helpful for this.

"Jason Tan (MSFT)" wrote:

> [...]
> grant
> | > the
> | > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=883381
> | >
> | > 304935 How to set Exchange Server 2000 and 2003 mailbox rights at the
> time
> | > of
> | > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=304935
> | >
> | > Hope the information helps. If there is anything that is unclear, please
> | > feel free to let me know.
> | >
> | > Thanks & Regards,
> | >
> | > Jason Tan
> | >
> | > Microsoft Online Partner Support
> | > Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
> | >
> | > =====================================================
> | >
> | > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
> | > that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
> | >
> | > =====================================================
> | > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no

Hello,

Thanks for your helpful suggestion! :)

Have nice day!

<JPolicelli@discussions.microsoft.com>
> [...]
| > object.
| >
| > More information for your reference:
| > Step-by-Step Guide to Using the Delegation of Control Wizard

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/technologies/
| > directory/activedirectory/stepbystep/ctrlwiz.mspx
| >
| > Use this wizard to delegate administrative control
| > http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/ArticleID/22555/22555.html?Ad=1
| >
| > Delegation of Control Wizard
| > http://www.serverwatch.com/tutorials/article.php/10825_1472441_2
| >
| > Hope the information helps. If there is anything that is unclear,
please
| > feel free to let me know.
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Jason Tan
| >
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support
| >
| > =====================================================
| >
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader

| > |
| > | Thanks for replying to my post.
| > |
| > | I know how to do the Delegation of Control, but the descriptions of
all
| > the
| > | permissions are not very good. Do you know any place that has good
| > | descriptions of these?
| > |
| > | Harrison Midkiff
| > | "Jason Tan (MSFT)" <v-jasont@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message