Which Video Card

Rabbit181

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
I am building a laptop and i can't find the benchmarks for either of the two options being given to me for video cards... which is the better video card?
256MB ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON® X1400 HyperMemory™
or
256MB NVIDIA® GeForce™Go 7300 TurboCache ?
Thank you for your help.

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
Your buying a low end card, why does it matter wich one is the best, when its only a few percentages? Nither of them can run any games so why do u care to ask?

Rabbit181

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
One that was not helpful at all. Two you are completely mistaken both video cards are supported by many new games. For example x1400 is supported by heroes V

Your buying a low end card, why does it matter wich one is the best, when its only a few percentages? Nither of them can run any games so why do u care to ask?

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
But both of those cards suck. If ur serious abt asking this question then why arent u serious enough to buy a better card? I mean they have them for only a little more. If ur buying a low end card then im just used to ppl not caring because they both suck anyways.. ur just asking wich one is a tiny bit better, so who cares?

Gary_Busey

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
But both of those cards suck. If ur serious abt asking this question then why arent u serious enough to buy a better card? I mean they have them for only a little more. If ur buying a low end card then im just used to ppl not caring because they both suck anyways.. ur just asking wich one is a tiny bit better, so who cares?
If you not going to help him out then don't post in the thread.

He's choosing parts for a laptop. His options are limited to begin with. Since he said he only has two options, he's probably ordering it from a company like Dell. Given the two options, the X1400 is faster.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
The X1400 is the better of those two choices. However, if you are actually putting it together (rather than ordering it from Dell), I'd spend a little more $ to get a better card, like the 7600Go or the mobile X1600.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006

Why so harsh? Who says the OP isn't playing older games that have been known to run perfectly fine on even integrated graphics. Everyone I know (besides Track) wants to get every little bit of performance they can get for their dollar, so who cares if it is only a 1% gain in speed. Better than a 0% gain if you ask me. Isn't that why overclockers spend hours tweaking FSB/Voltages/memory timings/dividers trying to achieve the maximum performance for a piece of hardware? Try to be considerate, any question deserves an answer. If you find it not worth answering, don't waste your time or ours by typing up a pointless post.

kylewvu086

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006
If your not going to be helpful why post, Track????????

I agree not everyone can blow $500 just for a top of the line video card. I'm a Nvidia guy but i'd have to recommend the ATI X1400, it is a bit quicker. Are you building this laptop yourself, or are you ordering it from somewhere like Dell??? what your price limit on the laptop? Thanks

Gavman42

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
you may wanna check out the notebook forums under mobile. I believe this question has been asked a couple times their and one of the replies had a comparison chart.

(edit, cuz I can't spell)

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
Indeed, the GeForce 7300 really isn't that good at all; it's edged out by even the Radeon X1300; the X1400 is even better.

Though, of course, it is worth noting that "supported" and "powerful" are two different things; both cards will technically run any game, as they both are DirectX 9.0c (SM 3.0) parts. They are, though, as you probably have been able to guess without Track's help, fairly weak.

However, I do think that the X1400 would be the winner here, so I'd go with that. Since it appears you only plan on running older games anyway, it should offer the best bet of being smooth even at whatever rather high native resolution your LCD panel will offer.

Rabbit181

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
thank you very much for the people that replied. I am getting the general impression that the x1400 is better but it isn't really that good...
my problem is i was asked by a friend to help her pick out a laptop under 1200 that could play video games. i wanted to go to a place like ibuypower but she has never heard of the company so she is scared to do so... i am in a weird situation, anyone have any suggestions?

Gary_Busey

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
There's lots of prebuilt gaming notebooks out there, but they're pretty expensive. Here's a few I found that fit your budget and should be ok for most games.

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/ntbkx648500.asp?v=d

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&oc=E1705S2&s=dhs - Go down to the graphics card selection and pick a 7900GS

http://www.alienware.com/Configurator_Pages/area-51_m5550.aspx?SysCode=PC-LT-AREA51M5550-R3&SubCode=SKU-DEFAULT - Go down to the graphics card selection and pick a 7600

There's probably more out there, I just don't feel like finding any more.[/img]

4Aces

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
either one of those would be a waste of cash, not much better if any than intel onboard graphics. You'd need mid range card like a 7600 and minimum of 512mb system ram as well to play games well at all.