Sign in with
Your question

Which Steering wheel is better?

Last response: in Components
July 25, 2006 3:44:00 AM

I'm working on rebuilding an older computer to be a multimedia machine for some light gaming and general web surfing. I want to play some racing games. Mainly Need for Speed Most wanted and NFS underground. I have found a couple of steering wheels both have prices in my budget of $90. I just can't decide which one I would be better. One is a logitech MOMO and the other is a saitek r440. I can't decide which one to buy. I was wondering if I could get some opinions on which one is preferred.

logitech momo steering wheel

saitek R440 steering wheel

I'm using my Athlon2600xp
Asus A7n8x-deluxe
1 gig of pc 2700
nvidia fx 5700 ( soon to be a 6800xt)

Thanks for the help

More about : steering wheel

July 25, 2006 4:33:50 AM

Quote:
I'm working on rebuilding an older computer to be a multimedia machine for some light gaming and general web surfing. I want to play some racing games. Mainly Need for Speed Most wanted and NFS underground. I have found a couple of steering wheels both have prices in my budget of $90. I just can't decide which one I would be better. One is a logitech MOMO and the other is a saitek r440. I can't decide which one to buy. I was wondering if I could get some opinions on which one is preferred.

logitech momo steering wheel

saitek R440 steering wheel

I cant say which is better, as I only own the momo.

As for the momo, its ok, but there is room for improvement. The construction is sturdy enough, though it could be improved. The mounting system works reasonably well. The pedals have "grip teeth" for carpets and a flip down pad for smooth floor surface.

The wheel developed a little side to side slop and it does have a tiny dead spot. The shifter is only forward/backward (i.e up/down) not any kind of "H" pattern, but it does seem that you can move it to the other side of the unit if you choose

The software is ok, but in my opinion a little "clunky"

I would not pay over $90 for it.
You can find it at amazon for 75

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006HYLN/sr=8-2/qid=...

Peace

I'm using my Athlon2600xp
Asus A7n8x-deluxe
1 gig of pc 2700
nvidia fx 5700 ( soon to be a 6800xt)

Thanks for the help
July 26, 2006 5:22:21 AM

Thanks for the feed back on the Logitech wheel. I'm wondering if anyone in the forumz has one of the Saitek r440. So I can make an educated decision.
Related resources
July 27, 2006 9:01:24 PM

i have a Logitech MOMO steering wheel and i love it to death. It also works great with Need For Speed Most Wanted and i know that because i just got that game and it rocks! so if u can aford a Logitech MOMO racing wheel then i recomend u get that!

hope that helps if u havnt bought it yet :D 
July 28, 2006 6:58:49 AM

Awesome I had almost decided to just get the refurb saitek but I think I will go with the Logitech my girlfriend said that if I waxed her car she would get me either one. So I'm going to get the Logitech. So now I can afford a couple of more games. What other games on he market are pretty good as far as racing goes? I would like a nascar title.
July 28, 2006 7:33:30 AM

Personally I've been desperately looking for a wheel of the "multiturn" class, but they're generally force feedback wheels, and really expensive...
July 28, 2006 5:34:56 PM

well i have Need For Speed Most Wanted and thats a great game so far, so u might conseder that. Also i have the demo for a game called GTR2 and thats really fun and im planing on buying it when it comes out on August 1st of this year. GTR2 is pretty much like a nascar game only it has lamborgini's and Ferrari's dressed up in decales and adds! :lol: 
So if u dont want to get Need For Speed Most Wanted i recommend GTR2 if ur looking for realism. If u want u can download the demo like i did and see if u like it at www.gamespot.com but with this website u have to signup for a free account to download games. but i have gameshadow and thats where i get all me updates and patches for free. if u want this u can go to www.gameshadow.com! or if u want u can wait till Need For Speed Carbon comes out.

Hope this helps and good luck with waxing cars! :) 
!