REQ - How can you tell which PC in the domain a user is lo..

mark

G'day all
I posed this question on the VB script group and got a "you can't" answer.
Surely I'm not the only one in the world that has needed this information.
I cobbled together a VB script that will tell me which user is logged into
a particular PC but what do you do to find which PC a user is logged into?
Maybe someone knows of a utility out there that could do this?
Mark
Aus

Hello Mark,

actually there is no script or command available which can tell us which
user is logged in. well lets take a senario that we have 10 DC's and 1000
clients and whenever a client gets authenticate it is a random procedure.

there is a command which can be run on client which can tell you from which
domain controller client has been authenticated and that command is
"%logonserver%".

as per the server we cannot find a way to get all the clients who are logged
in. maybe microsoft comes with some utility that can help you out but that to
will be in furture OS.

Kapil

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 12:49:22 +1000, "Mark" <bigbaddude@nospam.com> wrote:

>G'day all
>I posed this question on the VB script group and got a "you can't" answer.
>Surely I'm not the only one in the world that has needed this information.
>I cobbled together a VB script that will tell me which user is logged into
>a particular PC but what do you do to find which PC a user is logged into?
>Maybe someone knows of a utility out there that could do this?
>Mark
>Aus

To find the PC a user is logged onto, locally, see tip 9743 » Where is <Username>?
in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsifaq.com

Jerold Schulman
Windows Server MVP
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com
http://www.jsifaq.com

Mark,

Check out this free utility call BGInfo at www.sysinternals.com. I use this
tool in combination with a login script for all domain users and it works
great. The tool can grab all kinds of variables like username, pc name,
login time, authenticating server. The login script fires off the tool,
which is configured to write/update the data to an excel file on the network.
From the excel file, I can see every user and tell when they logged on, from
which pc, free space left on their drives, ip address, processor speed, ram,
and lots of other useful variables.

I think this tool will do what you need. Good luck.

NP

"Jerold Schulman" wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 12:49:22 +1000, "Mark" <bigbaddude@nospam.com> wrote:
>
> >G'day all
> >I posed this question on the VB script group and got a "you can't" answer.
> >Surely I'm not the only one in the world that has needed this information.
> >I cobbled together a VB script that will tell me which user is logged into
> >a particular PC but what do you do to find which PC a user is logged into?
> >Maybe someone knows of a utility out there that could do this?
> >Mark
> >Aus
> >

> To find the PC a user is logged onto, locally, see tip 9743 » Where is <Username>?
> in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsifaq.com
>
> Jerold Schulman
> Windows Server MVP
> JSI, Inc.