Group Policy being enforced

AJ

Hello,

A couple of months ago I enabled a password policy. Since then I've had to
remove it (too many compliants about having to change passwords and the
system requesting password changes in the middle of day when accessing
outlook). But when I attempt to create a new account it still requires me to
use the password policy settings for the new account. When someone requests
to change their password they have to use a password that meets the length
and complexity that was set in the now disabled policy. I have since
rebooted the server.

Is there a simple answer to this?

I have the following enviroment:

Windows 2000 domain 2 domain controllers running SP4
Exchange 2003 SP1
Workstations run XP SP2

Thanks.

What exactly do you mean by disabling the policy? Have you disabled Default
Domain Policy GPO, or?

--
Dmitry Korolyov [d__k@removethispart.mail.ru]
MVP: Windows Server - Directory Services

"AJ" <AJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> A couple of months ago I enabled a password policy. Since then I've had
> remove it (too many compliants about having to change passwords and the
> system requesting password changes in the middle of day when accessing
> outlook). But when I attempt to create a new account it still requires me
> use the password policy settings for the new account. When someone
> requests
> to change their password they have to use a password that meets the length
> and complexity that was set in the now disabled policy. I have since
> rebooted the server.
>
> Is there a simple answer to this?
>
> I have the following enviroment:
>
> Windows 2000 domain 2 domain controllers running SP4
> Exchange 2003 SP1
> Workstations run XP SP2
>
> Thanks.

AJ

No. I did not disable the Default Domain GPO. I changed the values for the
password policy back to not defined.

"Dmitry Korolyov [MVP]" wrote:

> What exactly do you mean by disabling the policy? Have you disabled Default
> Domain Policy GPO, or?
>
> --
> Dmitry Korolyov [d__k@removethispart.mail.ru]
> MVP: Windows Server - Directory Services
>

> "AJ" <AJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > A couple of months ago I enabled a password policy. Since then I've had
> > remove it (too many compliants about having to change passwords and the
> > system requesting password changes in the middle of day when accessing
> > outlook). But when I attempt to create a new account it still requires me
> > use the password policy settings for the new account. When someone
> > requests
> > to change their password they have to use a password that meets the length
> > and complexity that was set in the now disabled policy. I have since
> > rebooted the server.
> >
> > Is there a simple answer to this?
> >
> > I have the following enviroment:
> >
> > Windows 2000 domain 2 domain controllers running SP4
> > Exchange 2003 SP1
> > Workstations run XP SP2
> >
> > Thanks.

I believe these settings will stay as set prior to the values before the
disable. You need to place a value in them, disabling some settings doesn't
necessarily change them back to their previous settings. Set them to a
value more acceptable to your environment.