Domain unavailable when link down to the site with PDC

Hello,

I have a domain D whit 2 sites A and B. There are 2 DCs on each site.
On A there is the PDC (W2K SP4)
On B one W2KSP2 and one W2K SP4

Today the link between A and B has been cut and the users on B have never
been able to open a session on D, although there 2 DCs on their site and well
replicated.

Where could be the problem? The configuration of the DCs on B seem to be
correct.

Thanks for help.

Max

How your DNS resolution is set up in site B? Which DNS server is configured
on all your workstations?

Also, verify that all domain controllers in site B are correctly registered
in DNS (srv records), since clients use DNS to locate DCs.

--
Dmitry Korolyov [d__k@removethispart.mail.ru]
MVP: Windows Server - Directory Services

"Max D" <Max D@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have a domain D whit 2 sites A and B. There are 2 DCs on each site.
> On A there is the PDC (W2K SP4)
> On B one W2KSP2 and one W2K SP4
>
> Today the link between A and B has been cut and the users on B have never
> been able to open a session on D, although there 2 DCs on their site and
> well
> replicated.
>
> Where could be the problem? The configuration of the DCs on B seem to be
> correct.
>
> Thanks for help.
>
> Max

One DC on B is DNS server and is configured on all the workstations on B.

The 2 DCs are in the DNS but i'm not sure to understand what is a srv record?

Thanks

"Dmitry Korolyov [MVP]" wrote:

> How your DNS resolution is set up in site B? Which DNS server is configured
> on all your workstations?
>
> Also, verify that all domain controllers in site B are correctly registered
> in DNS (srv records), since clients use DNS to locate DCs.
>
> --
> Dmitry Korolyov [d__k@removethispart.mail.ru]
> MVP: Windows Server - Directory Services
>

> "Max D" <Max D@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a domain D whit 2 sites A and B. There are 2 DCs on each site.
> > On A there is the PDC (W2K SP4)
> > On B one W2KSP2 and one W2K SP4
> >
> > Today the link between A and B has been cut and the users on B have never
> > been able to open a session on D, although there 2 DCs on their site and
> > well
> > replicated.
> >
> > Where could be the problem? The configuration of the DCs on B seem to be
> > correct.
> >
> > Thanks for help.
> >
> > Max

OK, you have a DNS server, but is it able to resolve queries related to your
AD domain? For example, does it has a copy of appropriate domain zone for
that domain, or does it set up for appropriate forwarding?

About SRV records - you better read some documentation about them.
Basically, each DC registers a number of specific records in DNS - called
SRV records because they allow clients to find service location. By
"service" here it is meant services required for ldap search, kerberos
authentication, global catalog and such; "location" means the hostname of
appropriate server and tcp and/or udp ports where this service can be
reached.

Any computer that is a member of domain will use DNS to locate domain
controllers; if appropriate records in dns are missing or incorrect, it will
be impossible to locate DC at all, or, incorrect DC will be used. This might
include DC from a remote site, but since in your case remote site is not
available, no DC is found.

--

"Dmitry Korolyov [MVP]" <d__k@removethispart.mail.ru> wrote in message
> How your DNS resolution is set up in site B? Which DNS server is
> configured on all your workstations?
>
> Also, verify that all domain controllers in site B are correctly
> registered in DNS (srv records), since clients use DNS to locate DCs.
>
> --
> Dmitry Korolyov [d__k@removethispart.mail.ru]
> MVP: Windows Server - Directory Services
>

> "Max D" <Max D@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a domain D whit 2 sites A and B. There are 2 DCs on each site.
>> On A there is the PDC (W2K SP4)
>> On B one W2KSP2 and one W2K SP4
>>
>> Today the link between A and B has been cut and the users on B have never
>> been able to open a session on D, although there 2 DCs on their site and
>> well
>> replicated.
>>
>> Where could be the problem? The configuration of the DCs on B seem to be
>> correct.
>>
>> Thanks for help.
>>
>> Max

enkidu

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2002

Max D wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a domain D whit 2 sites A and B. There are 2
> DCs on each site.
> On A there is the PDC (W2K SP4)
> On B one W2KSP2 and one W2K SP4
>
> Today the link between A and B has been cut and the
> users on B have never been able to open a session
> on D, although there 2 DCs on their site and well
> replicated.
>
> Where could be the problem? The configuration of
> the DCs on B seem to be correct.

At least one of the DCs in Site B should be a Global Catalog
server. Is this so?

Cheers,

Cliff

OK all domain controllers are registered in DNS (srv records), but no DC on B
was GC...
I hope it was the problem, but it's difficult to test since I need to cut
the link between my 2 sites.

Thank you!