Sign in with
Your question

X-Fi and non-Creative SPDIF adapter

Last response: in Components
July 25, 2006 4:55:13 AM

I have searched not only these forums but any others I could find and I cant seem to find an answer on my own so here it goes...

I have an X-Fi XtremeMusic card and I have a Coaxial/Optical SPDIF adapter. The connector on the adapter is setup as follows...

a 3 (column) by 2 (row) pin count, with one port covered so it comes to a 5-pin connection. The pins go in the following order, starting at top left and going left to right, row 1: PIN, PIN, BLANK, row 2: PIN, PIN, PIN.

actually, none of these are pins, just holes for pins to go in, its just easier to refer to them as pins for the sake of describing the connector head of the adapter.

I have looked at the X-Fi card's internal connections and it looks like there is a spot this adapter can be plugged into but before I do and try to run sound through it, from my PS2 actually, to the sound card, anyone have any pointers? Anyone try using a SPDIF adapter OTHER then Creative's External or Creative's Front I/O Panel and got it to work? I would rather not do something to hurt my $110 sound card, given I love it so much :D 

The reason I am doing this is because my monitor has 5 inputs, D-Sub, DVI, S-Video, Component and Composite and I figure if I can have a few things plugged into it, it would be nice to have it all right here at my finger tips. I had, lying around, a 2-in-1, Xbox and PS2, adapter that is Component (thats the HD cables, Blue/Green/Red) so I decided, hey, why not try to hook the video up to my monitor (which works great) and the sound through my sound card and 5.1 speakers using the optical coming from the PS2. The PS2 is turned onto send sound through the Optical port, btw, it works on my Entertainment system. It would be nice to be able to switch from PC to PS2 and back whenever i felt like it w/o having to get up, turn on my TV and A/V receiver, yes, I know that is incredibly lazy, something I pride myself in lol

More about : creative spdif adapter

July 25, 2006 3:21:04 PM

Quote:
I have searched not only these forums but any others I could find and I cant seem to find an answer on my own so here it goes...

I have an X-Fi XtremeMusic card and I have a Coaxial/Optical SPDIF adapter. The connector on the adapter is setup as follows...

a 3 (column) by 2 (row) pin count, with one port covered so it comes to a 5-pin connection. The pins go in the following order, starting at top left and going left to right, row 1: PIN, PIN, BLANK, row 2: PIN, PIN, PIN.

actually, none of these are pins, just holes for pins to go in, its just easier to refer to them as pins for the sake of describing the connector head of the adapter.

I have looked at the X-Fi card's internal connections and it looks like there is a spot this adapter can be plugged into but before I do and try to run sound through it, from my PS2 actually, to the sound card, anyone have any pointers? Anyone try using a SPDIF adapter OTHER then Creative's External or Creative's Front I/O Panel and got it to work? I would rather not do something to hurt my $110 sound card, given I love it so much :D 

The reason I am doing this is because my monitor has 5 inputs, D-Sub, DVI, S-Video, Component and Composite and I figure if I can have a few things plugged into it, it would be nice to have it all right here at my finger tips. I had, lying around, a 2-in-1, Xbox and PS2, adapter that is Component (thats the HD cables, Blue/Green/Red) so I decided, hey, why not try to hook the video up to my monitor (which works great) and the sound through my sound card and 5.1 speakers using the optical coming from the PS2. The PS2 is turned onto send sound through the Optical port, btw, it works on my Entertainment system. It would be nice to be able to switch from PC to PS2 and back whenever i felt like it w/o having to get up, turn on my TV and A/V receiver, yes, I know that is incredibly lazy, something I pride myself in lol

Have you considered Creative's $15 Digital I/O module designed for its cards? ( http://www.soundblaster.com/products/product.asp?catego... ). It doesn't answer the question you've asked, directly, but can likely resolve the issue and is practically free.
July 25, 2006 3:26:50 PM

I have but I figured I would see if I can find a way to implement what I have already. If it turns out I cant, I will be buying that adapter and/or the front panel i/o.
!