Control Panel Settings under Global Policy

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
September 15, 2005 5:11:04 PM

In my AD, I created an organization and configured the Global Settings. I
have configure the Control Panel to show only 1 applet which is the Power
Scheme. However, when my user tries to change and save his setting, a
message appears: Access Denied. I know what this means, I would like my user
to be able to change the setting. I would greatly appreciate it if you could
help me with this. Thanks!
--
DAC
Anonymous

In news:266BDFD9-6F54-41E1-90E9-8F5AE2F7B988@microsoft.com,
Deb <Deb@discussions.microsoft.com> made this post, which I then commented
about below:
> In my AD, I created an organization and configured the Global
> Settings. I have configure the Control Panel to show only 1 applet
> which is the Power Scheme. However, when my user tries to change and
> save his setting, a message appears: Access Denied. I know what this
> means, I would like my user to be able to change the setting. I
> would greatly appreciate it if you could help me with this. Thanks!

What settings did you globally set? Was it just for that one specific
Control panel applet? Did you also give the user the rights to alter those
settings on a machine? That is a separate setting. Usually many will (not
highly recommended) add the domain user account to the local Power User
group on a machine to make such changes.

--
Regards,
Ace

If this post is viewed at a non-Microsoft community website, and you were to
respond to it through that community's website, I may not see your reply.
Therefore, please direct all replies ONLY to the Microsoft public newsgroup
this thread originated in so all can benefit.

confers no rights.

=================================
September 16, 2005 2:26:02 PM

Ace,

I wasn't sure if I had to add permissions or rights on the local laptop side
for this to work. I thought that there is a way to set a permissions or
rights within the Global Policy when the Domain user logs in. I was trying
to set the settings on the Global Policy side so I didn't have to do it on
the client side, if possible. I don't know all of the setting in GP but I
wonder if the "elevated privileges" or some other setting would allow the
Domain User make changes to the Power Scheme settings. If not, I suppose I
could try your suggestion, but I don't like to give user too much access.

Would adding the Domain User to the powercfg.cpl work?

Thanks,

--
DAC

"Ace Fekay [MVP]" wrote:

> In news:266BDFD9-6F54-41E1-90E9-8F5AE2F7B988@microsoft.com,
> Deb <Deb@discussions.microsoft.com> made this post, which I then commented
> about below:
> > In my AD, I created an organization and configured the Global
> > Settings. I have configure the Control Panel to show only 1 applet
> > which is the Power Scheme. However, when my user tries to change and
> > save his setting, a message appears: Access Denied. I know what this
> > means, I would like my user to be able to change the setting. I
> > would greatly appreciate it if you could help me with this. Thanks!
>
> What settings did you globally set? Was it just for that one specific
> Control panel applet? Did you also give the user the rights to alter those
> settings on a machine? That is a separate setting. Usually many will (not
> highly recommended) add the domain user account to the local Power User
> group on a machine to make such changes.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Ace
>
> If this post is viewed at a non-Microsoft community website, and you were to
> respond to it through that community's website, I may not see your reply.
> Therefore, please direct all replies ONLY to the Microsoft public newsgroup
> this thread originated in so all can benefit.
>
> This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees and
> confers no rights.

> Microsoft Windows MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services
> Infinite Diversities in Infinite Combinations.
> =================================

Anonymous
September 16, 2005 6:23:46 PM

In news:9719E548-41B9-420E-8696-6856DBC4F019@microsoft.com,
Deb <Deb@discussions.microsoft.com> made this post, which I then commented
about below:
> Ace,
>
> I wasn't sure if I had to add permissions or rights on the local
> laptop side for this to work. I thought that there is a way to set a
> permissions or rights within the Global Policy when the Domain user
> logs in. I was trying to set the settings on the Global Policy side
> so I didn't have to do it on the client side, if possible. I don't
> know all of the setting in GP but I wonder if the "elevated
> privileges" or some other setting would allow the Domain User make
> changes to the Power Scheme settings. If not, I suppose I could try
> your suggestion, but I don't like to give user too much access.
>
> Would adding the Domain User to the powercfg.cpl work?
>
> Thanks,

Hi Deb,

I don't think adding Domain Users to powercfg.cpl will work. What the user
needs is the specific right to alter system settings. Sometimes trying to
figure out what specific right for a specific function can be difficult,
especially if you are trying to pinpoint something like power settings. I
know you can allow users to shutdown the machine, change clocks, etc, but
not sure about power schemes.

Go thru the settings and see if they help. Keep in mind, Win2000 has less
settings than Win2003 and XP. The chart will diffrentiate that.

Complete GPO Settings List in Excel:
http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/pro/techinfo/product...

Group Policy Reference - downloadable DOC file.:
http://www.admin911.com/downloads/gpo-appxa.exe

Group Policy Registry Table:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/libr...

Windows XP Pro Res Kit - Group Policy Object Settings [downloadable XL
sheet]:

!