AD Sites and Services - config a remote DC

Hi, we ahve just installed a remote DC on a 2mb lease line. THe DB is only
70mb. How can I set this up so users only log on to our LAN DC's and not
this one, and make sure our ADUC don't log onto it.

Also what replicate speed should this be set at?

Hello,

as per the logging on to the local DC. well let me tell you that when ever a
client login he is authenticated by any DC and that is just authentication
purpose and it has to be in this way. so, that is something which is set
correctly and should be left as it is.

while configuring ad sites and servers you have to use site links which are
either ip or smtp. ip will replicate all the 3 partitions but smtp only
replicates schema and configuration.

there are 2 values i.e cost and time. if the data is changing everyday and
it is huge amount of data which is required both the side then you can set
the replication time for 15 mins as that is the default value.

the replication cost is inversaly proportional to the cost. if speed is high
then set the cost to low and vica versa.

if need more help mail me at: kapil_aswani@yahoo.com

kapil aswani
MCSE\MCSA 2000\2003

"SW" wrote:

> Hi, we ahve just installed a remote DC on a 2mb lease line. THe DB is only
> 70mb. How can I set this up so users only log on to our LAN DC's and not
> this one, and make sure our ADUC don't log onto it.
>
> Also what replicate speed should this be set at?

The inter-site replication interval is defaulted to 180, why is that so long?
Should this be 15 minutes?

"kapil" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> as per the logging on to the local DC. well let me tell you that when ever a
> client login he is authenticated by any DC and that is just authentication
> purpose and it has to be in this way. so, that is something which is set
> correctly and should be left as it is.
>
> while configuring ad sites and servers you have to use site links which are
> either ip or smtp. ip will replicate all the 3 partitions but smtp only
> replicates schema and configuration.
>
> there are 2 values i.e cost and time. if the data is changing everyday and
> it is huge amount of data which is required both the side then you can set
> the replication time for 15 mins as that is the default value.
>
> the replication cost is inversaly proportional to the cost. if speed is high
> then set the cost to low and vica versa.
>
> if need more help mail me at: kapil_aswani@yahoo.com
>
> kapil aswani
> MCSE\MCSA 2000\2003
>
> "SW" wrote:
>
> > Hi, we ahve just installed a remote DC on a 2mb lease line. THe DB is only
> > 70mb. How can I set this up so users only log on to our LAN DC's and not
> > this one, and make sure our ADUC don't log onto it.
> >
> > Also what replicate speed should this be set at?

No. You can set it to that though if you have enough bandwidth. Also you
don't run smtp with domain controllers with in the same domain.

See:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/planning/activedirectory/ismsmtp.asp
for more info on this.

"" wrote:
> Hello,
>
> as per the logging on to the local DC. well let me tell you
> that when ever a
> client login he is authenticated by any DC and that is just
> authentication
> purpose and it has to be in this way. so, that is something
> which is set
> correctly and should be left as it is.
>
> while configuring ad sites and servers you have to use site
> links which are
> either ip or smtp. ip will replicate all the 3 partitions but
> smtp only
> replicates schema and configuration.
>
> there are 2 values i.e cost and time. if the data is changing
> everyday and
> it is huge amount of data which is required both the side then
> you can set
> the replication time for 15 mins as that is the default value.
>

> the replication cost is inversaly proportional to the cost. if
> speed is high
> then set the cost to low and vica versa.
>
> if need more help mail me at: kapil_aswani@yahoo.com
>
> kapil aswani
> MCSEMCSA 20002003
>
> "SW" wrote:
>
> > Hi, we ahve just installed a remote DC on a 2mb lease line.
> THe DB is only
> > 70mb. How can I set this up so users only log on to our LAN
> DC's and not
> > this one, and make sure our ADUC don't log onto it.
> >
> > Also what replicate speed should this be set at?

don’t forget to define sites and subnets in AD and assign subnets to
sites they belong to, to optimize authentication.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Active-Directory-AD-Sites-Services-config-remote-DC-ftopict422000.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1411230