AD Sites and Services - config a remote DC

Hi, we ahve just installed a remote DC on a 2mb lease line. THe DB is only
70mb. How can I set this up so users only log on to our LAN DC's and not
this one, and make sure our ADUC don't log onto it.

Also what replicate speed should this be set at?
4 answers Last reply
More about sites services config remote

    Hello,

    as per the logging on to the local DC. well let me tell you that when ever a
    client login he is authenticated by any DC and that is just authentication
    purpose and it has to be in this way. so, that is something which is set
    correctly and should be left as it is.

    while configuring ad sites and servers you have to use site links which are
    either ip or smtp. ip will replicate all the 3 partitions but smtp only
    replicates schema and configuration.

    there are 2 values i.e cost and time. if the data is changing everyday and
    it is huge amount of data which is required both the side then you can set
    the replication time for 15 mins as that is the default value.

    the replication cost is inversaly proportional to the cost. if speed is high
    then set the cost to low and vica versa.

    if need more help mail me at: kapil_aswani@yahoo.com

    kapil aswani
    MCSE\MCSA 2000\2003

    "SW" wrote:

    > Hi, we ahve just installed a remote DC on a 2mb lease line. THe DB is only
    > 70mb. How can I set this up so users only log on to our LAN DC's and not
    > this one, and make sure our ADUC don't log onto it.
    >
    > Also what replicate speed should this be set at?

    The inter-site replication interval is defaulted to 180, why is that so long?
    Should this be 15 minutes?

    "kapil" wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > as per the logging on to the local DC. well let me tell you that when ever a
    > client login he is authenticated by any DC and that is just authentication
    > purpose and it has to be in this way. so, that is something which is set
    > correctly and should be left as it is.
    >
    > while configuring ad sites and servers you have to use site links which are
    > either ip or smtp. ip will replicate all the 3 partitions but smtp only
    > replicates schema and configuration.
    >
    > there are 2 values i.e cost and time. if the data is changing everyday and
    > it is huge amount of data which is required both the side then you can set
    > the replication time for 15 mins as that is the default value.
    >
    > the replication cost is inversaly proportional to the cost. if speed is high
    > then set the cost to low and vica versa.
    >
    > if need more help mail me at: kapil_aswani@yahoo.com
    >
    > kapil aswani
    > MCSE\MCSA 2000\2003
    >
    > "SW" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi, we ahve just installed a remote DC on a 2mb lease line. THe DB is only
    > > 70mb. How can I set this up so users only log on to our LAN DC's and not
    > > this one, and make sure our ADUC don't log onto it.
    > >
    > > Also what replicate speed should this be set at?

    No. You can set it to that though if you have enough bandwidth. Also you
    don't run smtp with domain controllers with in the same domain.

    See:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/planning/activedirectory/ismsmtp.asp
    for more info on this.

    "" wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > as per the logging on to the local DC. well let me tell you
    > that when ever a
    > client login he is authenticated by any DC and that is just
    > authentication
    > purpose and it has to be in this way. so, that is something
    > which is set
    > correctly and should be left as it is.
    >
    > while configuring ad sites and servers you have to use site
    > links which are
    > either ip or smtp. ip will replicate all the 3 partitions but
    > smtp only
    > replicates schema and configuration.
    >
    > there are 2 values i.e cost and time. if the data is changing
    > everyday and
    > it is huge amount of data which is required both the side then
    > you can set
    > the replication time for 15 mins as that is the default value.
    >

    > the replication cost is inversaly proportional to the cost. if
    > speed is high
    > then set the cost to low and vica versa.
    >
    > if need more help mail me at: kapil_aswani@yahoo.com
    >
    > kapil aswani
    > MCSEMCSA 20002003
    >
    > "SW" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi, we ahve just installed a remote DC on a 2mb lease line.
    > THe DB is only
    > > 70mb. How can I set this up so users only log on to our LAN
    > DC's and not
    > > this one, and make sure our ADUC don't log onto it.
    > >
    > > Also what replicate speed should this be set at?

    don’t forget to define sites and subnets in AD and assign subnets to
    sites they belong to, to optimize authentication.

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Active-Directory-AD-Sites-Services-config-remote-DC-ftopict422000.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1411230

Configuration Microsoft Active Directory Windows