network (accidentally or intentionally) if I can at all avoid it!

Thanks,

-brian
brian at visionpro.com

Hi

As this was the first server on your network, it is likely that it holds (or
rather... it did hold) the Operations Master Roles/FSMO Roles (Schema Master,
Domain Naming master, PDC Emulator, RID Master, and Infrastructure Master),
unless you know that you've changed these to different servers in the past.
With the current server failed, and a new server due to be brought online,
you need to 'seize' the roles on another server.
Personally, I would avoid seizing the roles at the Exchange server. Others
might advise differently, but I would advise against it.

Are you familiar with NTDSUTIL (command line tool)?
NTDSUTIL is used to seize the roles (and perform other various AD related
tasks) and is usually fairly painless when used correctly.

When the roles are seized, the object representing the failed server will
need to be removed from Active Directory. At this stage, you might find that
the server doesn't completely remove, and a therefore 'metedata cleanup' is
required using NTDSUTIL.

When all of the above is done, the new server can be brought online, then
run dcpromo to make it a domain controller. After that point you need to
decide whether to transfer the roles over to the new server. 'Transfer' is
another option within NTDSUTIL.

A couple of useful links:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;255504
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;216498
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;328775

I hope the above helps. Feel free to ask any further questions.

Cheers
Dan Sime

"msnews.microsoft.com" wrote:

> Good morning:
>
> I've got a network of four servers, one exchange, two global catalogs and
> one that's just a member server. The machine that was the first server in
> the site has failed and I need to replace it. The hardware died and I have
> a brand new Dell server that's going in there.
>
> What do I need to do. Is it as simple as putting in my 2000 CD and just
> 'rejoining' the domain or is there anything else I need to do?
>
> At this point I'll take all the advice I can get, I'm a Unix junkie, not a
> Windows admin and I'd relly really prefer not to take down our production
> network (accidentally or intentionally) if I can at all avoid it!
>
> Thanks,
>
> -brian
> brian at visionpro.com

TRENDING THREADS