Sign in with
Your question

[SOLVED] Nvidia nForce 680i SLI MB Ethernet Port Not Detected

Last response: in Windows 7
November 11, 2009 6:06:27 PM

Hello,

I just formatted/installed Windows 7 Home Premium 64. I have, as the topic suggests:

Nvidia nForce 680i SLI motherboard

I downloaded the drivers from Nvidia's web site for the Win_7_64 drivers for this motherboard, but it will not allow me to install the Ethernet drivers when installing the WHQL download.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any idea of how to get my PC back on the intarwebz?

Thanks in advance,

Edit: After looking through the .exe with all of the motherboard drivers, I've found that they do include an Ethernet driver, but during the installation, I only have the option of installing the 'Nvidia Storage Driver', none of the other components are even available to be installed.
a b $ Windows 7
November 15, 2009 7:40:02 PM

Is the ethernet controller disabled in BIOS or in Windows? If it's disabled, you'll obviously never be asked to install a driver for it.
November 17, 2009 3:28:21 PM

It's not disabled. There isn't an option in the BIOS to enable/disable it. I flashed my bios and now Windows 7 recognizes the controller.
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
November 17, 2009 7:47:08 PM

There is definately an option to disable the onboard NIC in the BIOS... my 780i board isn't all that different from yours and the option is definately there. Flashing the BIOS usually results in settings being reverted back to default... in which case if the NIC was disabled in BIOS, flashing re-enabled it.
February 22, 2010 6:39:22 PM

I have the same MoBo with two Ethernet ports. I have just installed Win7 Pro 64 O/S. Original disk that came with the MoBo does not allow Ethernet drivers to be installed (option is disabled), though ethernet ports are enabled in BIOS. I've downloaded & installed latest drivers from nVidia site and still network ports are not functional. I hate to add a NIC card when MoBo has 2 built-in ports. I have read on another forum that older drivers for Vista 64 bit may fix this issue. Does anyone have similar problem? If so, have you disabled nVidia driver updates?
:sweat: 
a b \ Driver
a c 168 Î Nvidia
a b $ Windows 7
February 22, 2010 6:53:40 PM

Although I do not run W7 on my 680i board the ethernet ports do sometimes just bomb out and the only way to get them back is to disconnect the mains, remove lead completely, count to ten then plug back in and boot up.
February 22, 2010 7:25:56 PM

If I understood correctly, disconnect/remove the power cord, drain power and then reboot the computer, while using latest driver nVidia drivers (v 15.51). Correct? I will try this and report; Thanks in advance.
[PS: I never had this problem with Win XP 32 bit o/s for past couple of years.]
a b \ Driver
a c 168 Î Nvidia
a b $ Windows 7
February 22, 2010 7:31:30 PM

It's what works for me, you could also try unplugging the network cable first and then plugging it back in once the PC has booted up.
September 14, 2012 9:25:48 PM

I had the same problem with NIC cards and new full version Win 7 Install. And after hours of attempting to reinstall 153.5 WHQL I found your suggestion. I pulled both net cables out of NIC cards, shutdown windows, pull the PS cable then placed in backin started Windows and then replugged in the net cables and it worked. Thanks. :wahoo: 
!