How can I change the name of the cities and NPCs ?

I mean, my girlfriend finds impossibile to remember all that
far-from-reality names in Morrowind (we're from Italy), so I'm looking away
for some stuff to change the name of cities and persons in Morrowind to
something more familiar. Can you help us ? Thanks.

Mars17 wrote:

> I mean, my girlfriend finds impossibile to remember all that
> far-from-reality names in Morrowind (we're from Italy), so I'm looking away
> for some stuff to change the name of cities and persons in Morrowind to
> something more familiar. Can you help us ? Thanks.

I too would like to know how to do this. I'd like to change the name of
Balmora to "Nerevarine City" and name Red Mountain after my character.
:)

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 10:33:16 -0400, ToolPackinMama
<laura@lauragoodwin.org> wrote:

> Mars17 wrote:
>>
>> I mean, my girlfriend finds impossibile to remember all that
>> far-from-reality names in Morrowind (we're from Italy), so I'm looking
>> away for some stuff to change the name of cities and persons in
>> Morrowind
>> to something more familiar. Can you help us ? Thanks.
>
> I too would like to know how to do this. I'd like to change the name of
> Balmora to "Nerevarine City" and name Red Mountain after my character.
> :)

I don't know of any easy and elegant way to do this, but there's always
the hard way. Open the TESCS and rename all cell names you wish to change.
You can do this by single left-clicking on the cell name within the cell
view window.
In your case rename all Balmora exterior and interior cells from
"Balmora, ..." to "Nerevarine City, ..." The door markers will adapt
themselves. The only thing that is going to be tricky, is fixing all
dialogue topics, journal entries, books and scripts.
If you don't mind Sellus Gravius sending you to "Balmora" instead of
"Nerevarine City" and you don't care buying a "guide to Balmora" Scroll,
you'll be fine with renaming the cell names. There will still be a lot of
descriptions talking of Balmora, but that won't harm the game. Be sure to
take a look at the scripts by using the "Gameplay" menu within the TESCS.
I don't know of any script that might reference a Balmora cell, but check
it nonetheless.
Do the same with the Red Mountain cells. This should be even easier since
there are hardly any quests or transport markers in that region.
Beware of mods! Open every mod in TESAME and check if it is changing
something in any cell you renamed! If it does, adapt the mod to your own
name changing mod.

To Mars17:
I hate to say this, but: Forget it. You'd have to do it completely on your
own. Changing the cell names of one region is one thing, but changing all
cell names *and* all NPC names is a major task.
You would have to look at every script, at every journal entry, at every
dialogue option, at every mod you install. Otherwise you'd be stuck very
soon.
Although I don't know of any script affecting a region, I do know of
scripts
changing NPCs. You would have to edit them all.
Dialogue and journal entries aren't vital for the game to work, but
imagine
yourself looking for a place called "Ald'ruhn" when you have renamed it to
"Milano".
You *can* change all that, but I estimate it would take you weeks to
complete.

Bjoern

Bjoern Liffers wrote:

> I don't know of any easy and elegant way to do this, but there's always
> the hard way.

I always prefer the easy and elegant way. :)