Best light source for inkjet print evaluation?

I've calibrated my monitor, got custom printer profiles, worked it up
in Photoshop and printed it. Now what kind of light should I be using
to evaluate it with? I've a couple of color management books which
suggest the Ottlite but other articles suggest Solux. What do you all
use for indoor print evaluations?

-James Nachtwey-
http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/
7 answers Last reply
More about best light source inkjet print evaluation

    "John A. Stovall" <johnastovall@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > I've calibrated my monitor, got custom printer profiles, worked it up
    > in Photoshop and printed it. Now what kind of light should I be using
    > to evaluate it with? I've a couple of color management books which
    > suggest the Ottlite but other articles suggest Solux. What do you all
    > use for indoor print evaluations?

    > "I have been a witness, and these pictures are
    > my testimony. The events I have recorded should
    > not be forgotten and must not be repeated."
    >
    > -James Nachtwey-
    > http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

    Set up lighting equivalent to where the print will be displayed?

    On Sun, 22 May 2005 13:34:10 GMT, "SamSez" <samtheman@verizon.net>
    wrote:

    >"John A. Stovall" <johnastovall@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >> I've calibrated my monitor, got custom printer profiles, worked it up
    >> in Photoshop and printed it. Now what kind of light should I be using
    >> to evaluate it with? I've a couple of color management books which
    >> suggest the Ottlite but other articles suggest Solux. What do you all
    >> use for indoor print evaluations?
    >>
    >> *********************************************************
    >>
    >> "I have been a witness, and these pictures are
    >> my testimony. The events I have recorded should
    >> not be forgotten and must not be repeated."
    >>
    >> -James Nachtwey-
    >> http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/
    >
    >Set up lighting equivalent to where the print will be displayed?

    Not a good answer as you never know here a print will end up. My aim
    is to have the best possible color management of the print until it
    leaves my hands.

    -James Nachtwey-
    http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

    Personally, I use the Ott-Lite for indoor display.
    Outdoors? Sheesh, a no brainer. Natural sunlight.

    Oh, I see, you didn't ask about outdoors.

    Then the answer is ... Ott-Lite.

    wrotenews:8quv81hdclao0a4eh85cvg7riph9s7p1jr@4ax.com:

    > I've calibrated my monitor, got custom printer profiles, worked it up
    > in Photoshop and printed it. Now what kind of light should I be using
    > to evaluate it with? I've a couple of color management books which
    > suggest the Ottlite but other articles suggest Solux. What do you all
    > use for indoor print evaluations?

    Open a window.

    --
    ---Mapanari---

    On Mon, 23 May 2005 02:45:21 -0000, Mapanari <whosthat@anonmail.com>
    wrote:

    >John A. Stovall <johnastovall@earthlink.net>
    >wrotenews:8quv81hdclao0a4eh85cvg7riph9s7p1jr@4ax.com:
    >
    >> I've calibrated my monitor, got custom printer profiles, worked it up
    >> in Photoshop and printed it. Now what kind of light should I be using
    >> to evaluate it with? I've a couple of color management books which
    >> suggest the Ottlite but other articles suggest Solux. What do you all
    >> use for indoor print evaluations?
    >>

    >Open a window.

    That doesn't maintain a constancy to a base standard through the
    process from RAW to final print. At least by doing that one has
    followed a standard. The light through that window will not be the
    same on different days and different times.

    "The condition of civil affairs in Texas is anomalous,
    singular, and unsatisfactory."

    Maj. Gen. Philip H. Sherdan
    Bvt. Maj. Gen. John A. Rawlins
    November 14, 1866

    Well, first of all, it would depend upon where your prints are most
    likely to end up being viewed. That is the lighting you want to
    evaluate your prints under.

    If you want critical daylight evaluation consider using a 5500 to 6000
    degree K bulb (like a fluorescent, with a CRI (color Rendering Index) in
    the mid to high 90's. Also keep in mind that where that light reflects
    from will alter the light color, so if you have bright colors on your
    desk, walls, drapes, etc, hat can alter the lighting hitting your prints.

    Art

    John A. Stovall wrote:

    > I've calibrated my monitor, got custom printer profiles, worked it up
    > in Photoshop and printed it. Now what kind of light should I be using
    > to evaluate it with? I've a couple of color management books which
    > suggest the Ottlite but other articles suggest Solux. What do you all
    > use for indoor print evaluations?

    > "I have been a witness, and these pictures are
    > my testimony. The events I have recorded should
    > not be forgotten and must not be repeated."
    >
    > -James Nachtwey-
    > http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

    I guess where they keep you, the windows are all painted over.

    Most of us live and work in places with transparent windows.

    Art

    Mapanari wrote:

    > John A. Stovall <johnastovall@earthlink.net>
    > wrotenews:8quv81hdclao0a4eh85cvg7riph9s7p1jr@4ax.com:
    >

    >>I've calibrated my monitor, got custom printer profiles, worked it up
    >>in Photoshop and printed it. Now what kind of light should I be using
    >>to evaluate it with? I've a couple of color management books which
    >>suggest the Ottlite but other articles suggest Solux. What do you all
    >>use for indoor print evaluations?
    >>

    > Open a window.

Printers Light Peripherals