Active directory corrupted on one domain controller

Hello I have a DC that has not update it database in 4 months.

I tried reseting the password for the principal and changing the one
parmater using adsiedit.msc but no look

now i have error 404, which suggest to restore from backup. But there
is not backup of this remote controller's registry. Can I remove active
directory using dc promo and then add it again? what is the best way to
install activediretory in this server? Medata clean with ntdsutil ?
4 answers Last reply
More about active directory corrupted domain controller

    Unfortunately, the issue described by you is not clear. I would appreciate
    if you could answer the questions mentioned below:

    1. How many DCs do you have in your network?
    2. When you say that the DC has not updated the Database, are you referring
    to AD Replication?
    3. Based on the error number (404), it seems to be an IIS error message
    when the html page is not found. Please confirm if you are referring to IIS
    issue and not AD issue.

    Regards
    Srikanth N

    "" wrote:
    > Hello I have a DC that has not update it database in 4 months.
    >
    > I tried reseting the password for the principal and changing
    > the one
    > parmater using adsiedit.msc but no look
    >
    > now i have error 404, which suggest to restore from backup.
    > But there
    > is not backup of this remote controller's registry. Can I
    > remove active
    > directory using dc promo and then add it again? what is the
    > best way to
    > install activediretory in this server? Medata clean with
    > ntdsutil ?

    In this case DEMOTE it to a member server using DCPROMO. If that does
    not work use DCPROMO /FORCEREMOVAL (). After that cleanup the metadata
    (). Let the clenaup replicate to other DCs. After that DCPROMO the
    machine to a DC and configure AD as needed.

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Active-Directory-corrupted-domain-controller-ftopict423291.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1416912

    You have lost this dc. Even if you got it to work the tombstone period has
    lapsed and changes since it was last online would not be fully propagated.

    Demote it (Forcibly if you have to) and then repromote.

    <jcharth@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hello I have a DC that has not update it database in 4 months.
    >
    > I tried reseting the password for the principal and changing the one
    > parmater using adsiedit.msc but no look
    >
    > now i have error 404, which suggest to restore from backup. But there
    > is not backup of this remote controller's registry. Can I remove active
    > directory using dc promo and then add it again? what is the best way to
    > install activediretory in this server? Medata clean with ntdsutil ?

    Thanks it looks like removing with /force and cleaning up with sites
    and servervices and adsi worked.

Domain Controller Active Directory Windows