Last response: in Systems
July 25, 2006 12:53:58 PM

Current PSU: Antec NeoPower 480w

Upgrading to:

Intel E6400 {possibly E6300}
Asus P5WD2 E Premium
2gb Corsair DDR2 XMS 6400C5
Case is my current one: unbranded, 2 top, 2 side and front/rear fans

GFX - tricky one, really want to wait and see what happens with DX10 but if no news in the next month - 7900/7600

Do you think my PSU will cope?

More about : psu advice comments

July 25, 2006 1:17:39 PM

It should. as long as you don't have any bling in your system. However, doing any overclocking will strain the dual 12 rails. I'd watch them closely to see how they handle having to power an advanced GPU. The G80 is supposed to come out in Sept. ATI's 600 is also supposed to come out before Xmas. However, if you plan on using either of those GPUs, both ATI and Nvidia approached PSU makers about the increased energy demands of their chips. If you already have the PSU then it is not going to hurt to wait and see.
July 25, 2006 1:24:41 PM

Hi Discord,
My thoughts on PSUs are this....get the beefiest (ie most powerful one) you can get. Don't be cheap on this componant. Remember these points
1. you will UNDOUBTEDLY upgrade case componants in future
2. The more power to your componants will give more stable current to hardware
3. You will ALSO add more hardware as you go along.
4. Current hardware out now NEEDS a HEAP of power to keep em happy
5. Get a "certified" PSU as in for SLI setups. These are designed for MAX power draw from GPU's, CPU's and multiple HDD's.
6. Be prepared to budget for at least $ 200.00 CDN or $ 175.00 USD in order to get a brand name PSU. Don't even waste your time on anything less :wink:
Hope this gives ya some food fer thought bro, and cheers on your build

RIG specs
Antec P180 PerformanceSeries Mid-Tower Case
SeaSonic S12 600 watt power supply
Asus A8N32 SLI mobo AMD N-Force 4 SLIX16 (bios 1103 V02.58)
RealTek 97 onboard digital 5.1 Surround
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Toledo Core, 2 X 1mb L2 cache (AMD drivers w/MS hotfix)
2 gigs of Corsair TwinX3500LL Pro @ 437Mhz 2-3-2-6-1T
2- BFG Tech 7900 GT OC 256mb in SLI (nvidia driver 91.31)
Western Digital RAPTOR 74.3 gig 10-K rpm HDD for XP & Apps
Maxtor SATA II 250 G HDD for gaming, movies, MP3's
Maxtor SATA II 250 G HDD for document backup (unplugged)
Sony CD rom 52X
Plextor 708-A DVD/CD rom
Logitech Z-5500 digital 5.1 THX Surround 500watts
Related resources
July 25, 2006 1:36:06 PM

paybax gave some good points and if you are needing or going to need a big a$$ psu that can handle anything you throw at it take a look at the psu I bought. 680w, active pfc, sli certified, all kinds of goodies for under $140 shipped.

aspire 680w psu
July 25, 2006 1:44:32 PM

You should try it first to see if it can handle your future set-up. But one serious think you need to consider is that sometimes or rarely when a PSU is blown out due to overloading could damage other components. So there's a risk of using low-power psu. It can handle it but just to be on the safe side you should get a much capable PSU. I would suggest you get the BFG 650watts psu, it's a lifetime warranty so you know it's very reliable. With the amount of power your future rig would have enough food for it's appetite so to speak.
July 25, 2006 1:46:54 PM

YO Sammy,
Nice PSU bro
July 25, 2006 1:51:03 PM

why thank you didnt think it was all that bad myself when I got it. Oh one more thing I oc my cpu and sometimes my video card, and this thing is stable on both 12v rails and the 3.3v and 5v rails too. Never fluxuates more than .01 on any rail, even with volts jacked up to the cpu
July 25, 2006 1:56:42 PM

12v rails and their amperage are extremely important as well. The draw from todays highend GPUs places emphasis on this. Unlike other components, there does not seem to be any concern with lowering power consumption in the name of efficiency where ATI and Nvidia are concerned. Having multiple rails will help balance the load across them.

With a system as you have indicated (and voicing the upgrading concerns for the future as some have expressed here), don't make the mistake of getting a PSU that only averages 15 or 16 amps across it's rails. The FSP FX700 is an excellent PSU by my and others who have used it but it only has a 15 amp average across it's 12v rails and had issues powering my overclocked 7900 gtx. Trying to prevent that example from happening to you, make certain that your PSU has, at least, a 17 amp average across it' rails. If you are the sort to upgrade then why bother just getting something that will run your rig "barely". Give yourself some headroom in case you want to add another HDD or a watercoolign system or some mods (like LEDs, fans, etc). It never hurts to have extra wattage just in case - it gives you some breathing room.

While a PSU calculator is not entirely accurate it does give you some idea of what you can expect at a minimum. My systems power demands exceeded 625 watts and I opted for a Silverstone 750 (it also has a solid high amperage across it's quad 12v rails). It handles everything nicely and gives me some breathing room for future upgrades.
July 25, 2006 2:02:46 PM

Quote:
12v rails and their amperage are extremely important as well. The draw from todays highend GPUs places emphasis on this. Unlike other components, there does not seem to be any concern with lowering power consumption in the name of efficiency where ATI and Nvidia are concerned. Having multiple rails will help balance the load across them. .

Yes this is a good piont that I always seem to forget to mention to ppl looking into a good psu, I guess after a while I just think stuff like this is common knowledge when many dont know anything about it.

And just if you are wondering discord that psu I linked above, this is the amp rateings on all rails,
+3.3V@38A, +5V@40A, +12V1@22A, +12V2@24A, -5V@0.3A, -12V@0.8A, +5VSB@2A
July 25, 2006 2:03:50 PM

Quote:
why thank you didnt think it was all that bad myself when I got it. Oh one more thing I oc my cpu and sometimes my video card, and this thing is stable on both 12v rails and the 3.3v and 5v rails too. Never fluxuates more than .01 on any rail, even with volts jacked up to the cpu

I'm planning to buy that same powersuppy really soon (When I get my paycheck this friday). I've been eyeballing it for a while too. Anyways I was wondering how\what program do you use to monitor the 12v, 3.3v and 5v rails in windows? Just curious.. Thanks. 8)
July 25, 2006 2:12:39 PM

well your bios might have something in it that tells you the volts, cpu z has some stuff on it too, but what I use and the only thing I would trust is a multi-meater.

you can get them at any automotive parts store, or wal mart where I got mine. If you have never used one before (which I assume you havent most ppl never have) you should get one that is "auto ranging" this way you just select ac or dc current then put the probes into power and ground. no fuss over jacking up your meater bc you didnt have the right volt range selected.

google for something on how to use one they are easy to use and cheap (mine was $25 and its an auto ranging digital read out) that reminds me get one wiht an lcd display much eaiser to see small volt differences.
July 25, 2006 2:16:37 PM

While everyone here has made valid points I think you're too eager as well.

That 480w psu will power a single gpu system easily, even if he does OC the processor (which he shouldn't do too much of since he sounds like he's new to it).

Don't spend money on it if you don't need to, yes if you are going to buy one future proof it by gettting a 600w psu but don't go get one just because you can. If this works now, use it now, if it doesn't work later, get one then.

I personally don't like Aspire, I've used and liked Antec, Enermax and Silverstone and heard good things about OCZ and PC P&C.
July 25, 2006 2:24:25 PM

Quote:
Current PSU: Antec NeoPower 480w

Upgrading to:

Intel E6400 {possibly E6300}
Asus P5WD2 E Premium
2gb Corsair DDR2 XMS 6400C5
Case is my current one: unbranded, 2 top, 2 side and front/rear fans

GFX - tricky one, really want to wait and see what happens with DX10 but if no news in the next month - 7900/7600

Do you think my PSU will cope?

At least on paper, you are good to go. I'm not a fan of Antec power supplies, having lost a CPU, mobo and GPU when my Antec PS went south. Aside from that, you can stall this decision until you step up to DX-10 or be proactive now and be ready when you swap the GPU. My own logic would be to upgrade the power supply now since a DX-10 card could be the single most expensive component and that cost might motivate you to try to get by with your Antec 480 or buy something of low quality. If I were you, I'd jump on the 650 watt mushkin before the rebate ends. Even if DX-10 cards have the predicted massive current draw, a PS like the mushkin will be able to handle it because of their "rail fusion" capability.
July 25, 2006 2:38:31 PM

Quote:
While everyone here has made valid points I think you're too eager as well.

That 480w psu will power a single gpu system easily, even if he does OC the processor (which he shouldn't do too much of since he sounds like he's new to it).

Don't spend money on it if you don't need to, yes if you are going to buy one future proof it by gettting a 600w psu but don't go get one just because you can. If this works now, use it now, if it doesn't work later, get one then.

I personally don't like Aspire, I've used and liked Antec, Enermax and Silverstone and heard good things about OCZ and PC P&C.

yes that is true but unless you are a 8 year old you should know how to handle your money, I knew how to handle my money by the time I was first grade and I learnd how to count the stuff. Heck I had my first bank accout when I was in 4th grade I think and I had to keep 100 bucks in there (my money I got from doing chores around the house for an allowance 5 bucks a week), how many 4th graders do you think could have 100 bucks and not spend it? That and I managed to save enough to buy my first car, my parents didnt help me with that either. I guess all I am getting at is we all assume that people know what they need or want to buy and if they can afford it themselfs we just throw some products at them that would be fitting for what they need (or think they need or just want)
July 25, 2006 3:04:21 PM

i reckon you'll be fine i have the same power supply in one of my rigs and im very happy with it if your still in any doubt just google for psu calculator and fill in your details then add 15% for good luck but as i say you'll be fine
July 25, 2006 5:47:24 PM

Many thanks everyone.

I sort of agree with Waylanders viewpoint. If the gernaral concensus is that the psu "should" be fine {and i'll try a PSU calculator} then I'll suck it and see.

I'm not a hardware enthusiast in the sense that I don't bother to squeeze as many fps out of a rig as possible. I tend to buy out of the box with informed and researched choices. If I then find that I need more power I upgrade - in the long rong it probably actually costs me less and certainly takes far less time!

Thanks again for the info- and I'll certainly keep in mind the PSU ampage comments.

Now just gotta relook at my decision to switch from AMD to Intel. Brainache!!
July 25, 2006 5:49:53 PM

Quote:
Now just gotta relook at my decision to switch from AMD to Intel. Brainache!!

Luke!!! I am your faatthhaaa!!!
!