For a healthy PC

donco

Distinguished
May 27, 2006
Heys guys, im going to build my first computer in a few day(waiting for my x2 5000+ :twisted: ) and i would like to know what are the things you do to keep your pc clean(programs...) and how often, this is my first pc and i would like to keep it for a long time.

thx

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
Heys guys, im going to build my first computer in a few day(waiting for my x2 5000+ :twisted: ) and i would like to know what are the things you do to keep your pc clean(programs...) and how often, this is my first pc and i would like to keep it for a long time.

Damp towel, not wet enough to drip.

Just kidding. On my office PC that does email and surfing, I run a firewall, a couple of different spyware detection programs and antivirus software. On all my PCs, I set up a large OS plus apps partition and make a separate partition for the pagefile. I check the HDs often to see if they need defragging. I don't just schedule defrags and run them without looking at it first. My kids only surf on their own laptops. I go through them monthly to look for junk and always find it. We have two game boxes and they are NOT used for surfing. I do not have anti-virus software on them because we don't do stuff that can infect them. I do a bunch more stuff than this but gotta go soon and I'm sure you'll get more advice. Think before you click, that's probably #1.

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
Linux and get a console for games :)

Major things to keep your system clean:

Use a firewall/NAT. Hardware prefered.

Install some antivirus and anti-malware stuff. Popular ones are AVG or avast! for antivirus. Anti-malware, different people will tell you different things. Since I don't use Windows much other than gaming, others would be better to ask.

Make sure you don't download and run random stuff!

Keep up-to-date on Windows patches. If you've pirated Windows, be prepared to jump through hoops to avoid "validation" problems.

donco

Distinguished
May 27, 2006
I know this may sound stupid but where do you get your firewall?does it come with windows?or with the CD supplied when you buy your mobo(cuz ive heard about an nvidia firewall or something)?or with your router?

How does it work? and since i have a local network do i have to make any moddifications?does the firewall supposed to be on each computer? How do i make sure mine is working properly?

CaptianCapitalist

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
I think a firewall comes with windows service pack 2? I don;t know because I use the Nvida firewall...also, I hear windows defender from microsoft isn't bad.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Search the internet (sites like Tucows etc...) for an old version of Sygate Personal Firewall, it's really secure, and allows application-specific control of network access, which means that spyware will effectively put it's hand up telling you where it is and what it's trying to do as soon as it installs itself (if you have any at all)

AVG, Ad-Aware and Sygate, plus a defrag once every couple of months will keep it working nicely.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
I know this may sound stupid but where do you get your firewall?does it come with windows?or with the CD supplied when you buy your mobo(cuz ive heard about an nvidia firewall or something)?or with your router?

How does it work? and since i have a local network do i have to make any moddifications?does the firewall supposed to be on each computer? How do i make sure mine is working properly?

There are two types of firewalls, software and hardware. Software firewalls are like windows, nvidia and sygate. Hardware firewalls are built in to routers which actually shut down unused ports and only open the ones you specifically set for each program. Hardware firewalls are much better than software as they are next to impossible to change externally.

donco

Distinguished
May 27, 2006

There are two types of firewalls, software and hardware. Software firewalls are like windows, nvidia and sygate. Hardware firewalls are built in to routers which actually shut down unused ports and only open the ones you specifically set for each program. Hardware firewalls are much better than software as they are next to impossible to change externally.

So this means that if i already have a router i dont need to install one? if not do we have to install a firewall on each computers( i have a local network) or only on the one that has the modem? ths for the quick replies guys

someguyy

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
If you have a router then the Nvidia and the Windows firewall should be sufficient.

Anti virus: AVG free edition

Anti Malware. Adaware SE and Spybot Seach and Destroy.

Get those and you will be fine.

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
HAHA! Windows Firewall SUCKS! I visited a serial key site to test the firewall. I ended up with trojans, etc. with the Windows Firewall. I used Zone Alarm, and I never even had a McAfee Trojan Warning.

EDIT: And I should mention, I have a 2Wire Router with its own firewall; that didn't seem to help...

donco

Distinguished
May 27, 2006
ok thx a lot, but can someone tell me if you need to install a firewall on each computers connected to the network?

Installing a firewall on each machine on top of the H/W firewall is a good idea; it doesn't need to be as tight, but it helps in case one of the machines is compromised - it may prevent the infection to spread.

The XP SP2 firewall is nice to use if you have a hardware NAT/firewall well configured. If you want sterner stuff, Tiny Personal Firewall is good or, if you can find a copy of it, Kero Personal Firewall 2.1.5 is definitely a keeper (later versions are much worse).

yourmothersanastronaut

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
Avast! for antivirus.

Currently WinXP firewall until I find something to replace it (ZoneAlarm doesn't like my new computer for some reason).

Trend Micro for antispyware.

CCleaner for registry and file cleansing.

Avoid Norton and McAfee. Norton corrupted all my MS Office files when I had a major paper due in 20 minutes, so I had to quickly install OpenOffice to open them, finish the paper, and dash off to the library to print it. Never installing a Norton product again. And McAfee ruined my girlfriend's computer. But it was how we met :wink: :lol:.

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
Yea norton and mcafee are just space hogs. Their worthless programs. I use NOD32 as my major anti-virus program and to back them up, i use Ewido security suite 4.0(gets rid of spyware and malware) and i also use a-squared(gets rid of even more malicious viruses) I highly recommend these tools to keep your computer safe.