remove server from DS (DHCP)

Hi,

I have a couple of DCs that were forcibly removed from the domain with
ntdsutil a long time ago. They do not show up anywhere except in the
list of potential DHCP servers in the DHCP MMC or when using NETSH for
DHCP. They are not in any of the other AD mmcs like ADUC, ADDT, ADSS.

How can I completely remove them?

Thanks,

Peter

There isn't any official documentation but Paul Williams has documented the
steps to remove a serve. I believe all you have to do is the ADSIEdit piece
but I would go through the whole article to be sure.

http://www.msresource.net/content/view/43/47/

"Peter Kaufman" <peterkhub-usenet@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a couple of DCs that were forcibly removed from the domain with
> ntdsutil a long time ago. They do not show up anywhere except in the
> list of potential DHCP servers in the DHCP MMC or when using NETSH for
> DHCP. They are not in any of the other AD mmcs like ADUC, ADDT, ADSS.
>
> How can I completely remove them?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Peter

I will have a look but I already did the adsiedit thing. That removed
ithem from the all the AD mmcs but it is still there in DHCP.

Thanks,

Peter

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 08:08:41 -0500, "Paul Bergson"
<pbergson@allete_nospam.com> wrote:

>There isn't any official documentation but Paul Williams has documented the
>steps to remove a serve. I believe all you have to do is the ADSIEdit piece
>but I would go through the whole article to be sure.
>
>http://www.msresource.net/content/view/43/47/

Spoke too fast. I did use adsiedit before but not the way the article
says with "CN=DhcpRoot". I will post how it goes.

Thanks,

Peter

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 08:08:41 -0500, "Paul Bergson"
<pbergson@allete_nospam.com> wrote:

>There isn't any official documentation but Paul Williams has documented the
>steps to remove a serve. I believe all you have to do is the ADSIEdit piece
>but I would go through the whole article to be sure.
>
>http://www.msresource.net/content/view/43/47/

This is a very good article. I was down at Tech Ed last summer and spoke
for quite sometime on this very subject and had multiple people working on
this. No one found anything from Microsoft detailing this, but there was
another MVP that did detail these same steps as Paul has keyed up.

> Spoke too fast. I did use adsiedit before but not the way the article
> says with "CN=DhcpRoot". I will post how it goes.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Peter
>
> On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 08:08:41 -0500, "Paul Bergson"
> <pbergson@allete_nospam.com> wrote:
>
>>There isn't any official documentation but Paul Williams has documented
>>the
>>steps to remove a serve. I believe all you have to do is the ADSIEdit
>>piece
>>but I would go through the whole article to be sure.
>>
>>http://www.msresource.net/content/view/43/47/

Apologies for the multiple posts - that is what happens when you rush
and are tired at the same time {sigh}. Anyway, this seems to have
worked, but I do have one question specific to the instructions in the
link.

It says to edit the DhcpRoot entry which contains a list of servers.
The first line in that section of the ADSIEdit window has the DHCPRoot
followed by the individual servers - one per line. After removing the
servers in the root, they still remain listed underneath. They do not
show up anymore in the DHCP MMC but I wonder if I should remove the
individual entries or not.

Thanks very much,

Peter

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 08:08:41 -0500, "Paul Bergson"
<pbergson@allete_nospam.com> wrote:

>There isn't any official documentation but Paul Williams has documented the
>steps to remove a serve. I believe all you have to do is the ADSIEdit piece
>but I would go through the whole article to be sure.
>
>http://www.msresource.net/content/view/43/47/

I would remove any entries that are no longer in use

> Apologies for the multiple posts - that is what happens when you rush
> and are tired at the same time {sigh}. Anyway, this seems to have
> worked, but I do have one question specific to the instructions in the
> link.
>
> It says to edit the DhcpRoot entry which contains a list of servers.
> The first line in that section of the ADSIEdit window has the DHCPRoot
> followed by the individual servers - one per line. After removing the
> servers in the root, they still remain listed underneath. They do not
> show up anymore in the DHCP MMC but I wonder if I should remove the
> individual entries or not.
>
> Thanks very much,
>
> Peter
>
> On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 08:08:41 -0500, "Paul Bergson"
> <pbergson@allete_nospam.com> wrote:
>
>>There isn't any official documentation but Paul Williams has documented
>>the
>>steps to remove a serve. I believe all you have to do is the ADSIEdit
>>piece
>>but I would go through the whole article to be sure.
>>
>>http://www.msresource.net/content/view/43/47/

Thanks, Paul

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 11:06:24 -0500, "Paul Bergson"