Sign in with
Your question

Slow As The Day Is Long

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
May 8, 2011 2:25:16 AM

I got a question for you all...(Hopefully I'll get a responce) in a nut shell my system is an I7-950 6gigs of ram, Evga X58 SLI FTW3 motherboard, two GTX-460's running in SLI mode, and a PSU thats 1250......I just reinstalled...(Didn't format first because I was told you dont need to do that win win 7 os) WIN 7, updated ALL the drivers, bare bones running in the back ground, and yet when I'm downloading a program my system slows down to a crawl. And even when when I'm not downloading, the system is VERY slow. Dose anyone out there have any ideas what I can do to solve this issue??

Thank You.

More about : slow day long

a b $ Windows 7
May 8, 2011 2:41:36 AM

you did not give all of the hardware configuration, what about the hard drives?

you wanna run the operating system and your core applications on a separate
small fast hard drive (like a velociraptor 70 GB)

You wanna put all your personal files on a second large hard drive (Like 1 TB or more?)
and you don't wanna mix your files onto the OS drive...

You wanna do a reload of the OS when all of the new hardware is installed, so that
the OS configures the hardware as installed...

And by reload, I mean that you can put the 7 disk in the (new OS) drive and select: fresh installation--then load all your drivers onto the OS drive, then your programs. Your files stay on the second drive....

And now go into the bios setup, and select a boot order where the OS drive boots before the file drive...
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 8, 2011 4:39:14 AM

Yep! most definitely sounds like a hd issue.
i'd scan my hdd with sfc/scannow in safemode and run vendors diagnostic software.
m
l
Related resources
May 8, 2011 3:16:37 PM

Ok I have my OS on a RAID0 configuration (2x128) "Western Digital VelociRaptor" so I understand thats about as fast as you can get before you step up to a SSD. And ALL my data is on another 1t HD. Also I did do a reinstall after ALL the hardware was installed. In my bios I have my OS on the "Raptor" which boots up first, and the only info that I have on the "RAID0" is Games plus the OS. I'll also performe the "Diagnostic" on the HD to clean that up.....Dose this sound good to you two???
m
l
May 8, 2011 3:38:49 PM

Alrighty then...Performed both "Diagnostic" tests, and ALL is just fine...No "Errors" at all......Any other suggestions???
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 9, 2011 11:55:37 AM

I would do it without the raid configuration, I think it would run faster.
m
l
May 9, 2011 2:49:34 PM

Ok sounds like a GOOD idea...But how do I performe that task???
m
l
!