Any comments about HIS X800XL IceQ II 256MB PCIe

robmurphy

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
The above card is onsale at ebuyer UK for £89.99. This to me seems cheap.

card details:
http://www.hisdigital.com/html/product_ov.php?id=165&view=yes

I'm looking to upgrade the video card in my PC. Its an ATI radeon X300SE, so very slow compared to the above. How does the hisdigital card compare to other X800XL, and the X1600 ect. There seems to be a compatability problem between my motherboard and Nvidia cards so I'm only looking at ATI cards

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Rob.

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
Well, HIS is a very good company. Their X800XL is just as good as any other one, except that it's Memory clock is 10Mhz slower, wich means less then nothing. The price is also pretty good.

If u plan on upgrading from an X300SE, ull see a HUGE differnce. The X800XL is a great price for performance model, but even though u can still get a better card. You can find a Geforce 7900GT for 150 Pounds wich can be overclocked to the most powerfull card on earth, so u should research this like i have.

robmurphy

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
I have researched. But as I said there is an issue of compatability between the MSI motherboard in my machine and Nvidia PCIE display cards, thats the reason I'm sticking with ATI. There is no point buying a 7900 card, and new PSU just to find it does not work.

I'm looking to spend 50 - 90 pounds. The card must have a DVI connector, as that is missing on the present card.

I'm not that bothered about games, more video playback. The display on my PC gets a little shaky if the cover is left of. I think the graphics card runs quit hot, hence the liking for one with a good cooling solution. The PC is also used as a media center, so quiet operation is a definite bonus. The HIS card looks to run cool and quiet, and has all 16 pipelines. Many others at this price have 12 or 8 pipelines, yes they may be able to be unlocked but you are not going to be able to return the card if you cannot unlock it.

Any other suggestions for ATI PCIE based cards?

Rob.

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
I have researched. But as I said there is an issue of compatability between the MSI motherboard in my machine and Nvidia PCIE display cards, thats the reason I'm sticking with ATI. There is no point buying a 7900 card, and new PSU just to find it does not work.

PSUs are very cheap, thats not a problem.
If u have a PCI-E x 16 then u can fit ANY PCI-E x 16 card on it, no matter who makes it.

The card must have a DVI connector, as that is missing on the present card.

Most of the new ones do, but dont buy a card just for that because there are adaptors.

I'm not that bothered about games, more video playback.

Woh, hold up. If ur not into games, then u only need a low end card, i.e. the 7300 series or the X1300 series.. heck u only need ur X300 :!:

The display on my PC gets a little shaky if the cover is left off.

Then u may just have a monitor issue that has nothing to do with ur graphics card. I have no idea what u mean by "a little shaky" or "cover" but it cannot have anything to do with the card.. if its not broken.

The HIS card looks to run cool and quiet, and has all 16 pipelines. Many others at this price have 12 or 8 pipelines, yes they may be able to be unlocked but you are not going to be able to return the card if you cannot unlock it.

No, they all have 16 pipelines.

Any other suggestions for ATI PCIE based cards?

Well, if its not for gaming then u dont need a new card.
But..
Low end - X1300/7300
High end - X1600-X1800 (X1900 GT)/7600-7800

TRENDING THREADS