Sign in with
Your question

ATI->AMD new problem! Why not AMD+Matrox?

Last response: in CPUs
July 25, 2006 4:04:16 PM

So if I want a dell laptop, or a laptop with a Intell mobo, I can not have an ATI mobile? I have to put up with the Intel IGP or forced to get a Gforce Go?

WTH? So now If I want ATI in my laptop, I cant have great laptops from HP, Sony, Dell.... Gateway even. They all support Intel mobos. HP has a few with ATI, but more with IGP by Intel.

AMD should have purchased Matrox if they wanted a Graphics company for their own IGP's. And that would have given us a 3rd option if AMD developed the company into more of a gaming platform.
July 25, 2006 4:39:38 PM

The only thing you will see is innovation.
July 25, 2006 4:40:11 PM

Quote:
So if I want a dell laptop, or a laptop with a Intell mobo, I can not have an ATI mobile? I have to put up with the Intel IGP or forced to get a Gforce Go?

WTH? So now If I want ATI in my laptop, I cant have great laptops from HP, Sony, Dell.... Gateway even. They all support Intel mobos. HP has a few with ATI, but more with IGP by Intel.

AMD should have purchased Matrox if they wanted a Graphics company for their own IGP's. And that would have given us a 3rd option if AMD developed the company into more of a gaming platform.

im not even going to bother reading on... what kind of pc enthusiast would buy an OEM PC(dell especially)? Dude, laptops arent 4 gamers. and if they are then they use mobility radeons on amd boards. I dont see why an intel IGP is a problem for the buisesness traveler. Maybe, if you were smart enough to stop and think you would figure out that AMD isnt buying Ati for integrated graphics, those are just an added benefit. They have their reasons, and time will tell what will come from it. All of you ppl who say its bad and what-not are just intel fanboys who cant cope with losing in the long run, you just can live wuth the fact that maybe ur gonna have to buy an AMD to play game swell.... boohoo.
Related resources
July 25, 2006 5:01:08 PM

Did I miss something and Matrox started making chipsets?

They didn't want an IGP dude. They wanted their own chipset manufacturer. Now they don't have to solely rely on third parties for chipsets. That in turn opens them up to the server and OEM market a lot more. OEMs like everything to come together. They don't like piecing things together because that can lead to uncompatibility. By AMD having an entire solution in-house, they can more easily market themselves to other OEMs.

Prozac is also correct. HP, Dell, etc will all be pissed if they have to stick solely with one thing over another without even an option to switch if they wanted to.
July 25, 2006 5:17:49 PM

I don't see why you can't get ATI in laptops anymore. Its just that you won't be able to get those integrated versions (x200?). But you should still be able to have stuff like x600 etc.
July 25, 2006 6:56:56 PM

First off, laptops are fine for games, maybe not Oblivion, but I still play Sof2, and other games of that era. And because there isnt a build-your-own-laptop option like there is for desktops, choices like Dell and HP are relivent to these forums. I did get some info wrong i guess.
Does this mean that AMD will have a motherboard like Intel does? Or will they just have a complete chipset on a companys board, like DFI. And hasnt INTEL said no ATI products in their systems? Which would validate my issue.

Now, I would still like to see Amd buy out matrox and start beef'n them up a bit.

And why didnt AMD just buy Intel if they wanted motherboards????
I can see it now. AMD buys Intel after aquiring ATI. NVIDIA starts making CPU's and soundcards; changes name to NCreative. Creative sues and loses, gives company to AMD to spite Nvidia for their name change.
Dell, Gateway, HP, Sony, and Compaq all give up after the newfounded supercompany starts making computers and does not sell any CPUs to other manufacturers.

Joking on the last part.
July 25, 2006 7:05:02 PM

Quote:

Dude, laptops arent 4 gamers.

Are you serious?? What about the...
VoodooPC ENVY U909 SLI Laptop, going over the top with two NVIDIA GeForce 7800GTX graphics cards in an SLI configuration and an AMD Turion 64 processor. The thing is huge, though, with a 19-inch 1680x1050 screen.

I think that could be used for games.
July 25, 2006 7:26:03 PM

The problem is the Poorion.
At the moment, there arent any really kick-behind gaming notebooks, they either lack multi-GPU or processor power.
July 25, 2006 7:38:50 PM

Bigrat:

The reason you cant get ati in laptops anymore is because after amd anouced it was purchasing ati....intel made a press release on how they were going to be removing ati chipsets from there mobos.
July 25, 2006 7:38:56 PM

Quote:

Dude, laptops arent 4 gamers.

Are you serious?? What about the...
VoodooPC ENVY U909 SLI Laptop, going over the top with two NVIDIA GeForce 7800GTX graphics cards in an SLI configuration and an AMD Turion 64 processor. The thing is huge, though, with a 19-inch 1680x1050 screen.

I think that could be used for games.

I love playing games for a half hour only to see that my battery is running low.
July 25, 2006 7:39:48 PM

lol, hes right....the battery life is just under 30minutes.
July 25, 2006 7:42:53 PM

Quote:
AMD wanted to grow, and Matrox has nothing to offer.
July 25, 2006 7:46:59 PM

I play FFXI and played WoW on my 2 and a half year old Sager 5680. 3.0GHz P4, 1GB DDR400, 60GB 7200rpm hard drive, 128MB ATI 9600 Turbo. Sure its a little dated now but at the time it was the best you could get. And it plays FFXI fine at 1280x1024, 1024x1024 overlay, and all effects at max.

There's plenty of gaming laptops out there. They may not be quite as good as a gaming desktop, but the gap is shrinking fast. A Sager 5760 with a 2.0Ghz Core Duo, 2GB of RAM, and a 512MB 7900GTX Go will run up there with the big boys.
July 25, 2006 8:15:34 PM

Yes I read about Intel not letting ATI make chipsets for them. But like I said, you won't be able to get ATI integrated graphics (ie graphics processors integrated into the chipset) but you should still be able to get discrete graphics which are on a separate daughter board or soldered to the motherboard. Either way, these are separate from the chipset.
July 25, 2006 11:04:24 PM

Hay just because you guys cant install, configure, and completly beat a game in under 30minutes, you shouldnt bash the batery life expectancy time.

Records for beating:
Hl2 8minutes
COD 5:42
Oblivion: 12:33

So ya... I could play and beat both oblivion and COD before my battery dies.
!