Canon BJC-6000 six beeps

I haven't used my BJC-6000 in weeks. Today when I turned it on I got
six beeps. That's supposed to mean the cartridges aren't installed.
They worked fine the last time I printed. I took them out and put them
back. They are in their proper slots.

Could there be corrosion in a sensor? What should I check?
23 answers Last reply
More about canon 6000 beeps

    I suspect the head has failed, try removing it and clean the electrical
    contacts on the printhead and the ones they mate with in the printer with
    Isopropyl alcohol (don't touch the head nozzles at the bottom of the
    cartridge), if that does not work then a new printhead or printer (depending on
    relative cost) is the only answer.
    Tony

    Choreboy <choreboyREMOVE@localnet.com> wrote:
    >I haven't used my BJC-6000 in weeks. Today when I turned it on I got
    >six beeps. That's supposed to mean the cartridges aren't installed.
    >They worked fine the last time I printed. I took them out and put them
    >back. They are in their proper slots.
    >
    >Could there be corrosion in a sensor? What should I check?

    I cleaned the contacts.

    I have a new photocolor cartridge, which replaces the black. I put it
    in without tanks and got five beeps. (If you remove a cartridge and put
    it back, you get five beeps instead of six.)

    If it's a cartridge, it must be the color one, which I don't need
    anyway. I'd have to buy a color cartridge without known if that would
    fix it.

    "Choreboy" <choreboyREMOVE@localnet.com> wrote in message
    >I cleaned the contacts.
    >
    > I have a new photocolor cartridge, which replaces the black. I put it
    > in without tanks and got five beeps. (If you remove a cartridge and put
    > it back, you get five beeps instead of six.)
    >
    > If it's a cartridge, it must be the color one, which I don't need
    > anyway. I'd have to buy a color cartridge without known if that would
    > fix it.

    If you are simply trying to diagnose the problem to see it the print head
    is alive or dead buy the cheapest compatable cartridge to just check it out.
    If you are actually interested in color printing you will have to be more
    discerning about purchasing quality compatable cartridges. In that case
    check out postings on this NG by Taliesyn, Ron Cohen and me about inks and
    cartridges.

    Burt wrote:

    >"Choreboy" <choreboyREMOVE@localnet.com> wrote in message
    >

    >>I cleaned the contacts.
    >>
    >>I have a new photocolor cartridge, which replaces the black. I put it
    >>in without tanks and got five beeps. (If you remove a cartridge and put
    >>it back, you get five beeps instead of six.)
    >>
    >>If it's a cartridge, it must be the color one, which I don't need
    >>anyway. I'd have to buy a color cartridge without known if that would
    >>fix it.
    >>

    >If you are simply trying to diagnose the problem to see it the print head
    >is alive or dead buy the cheapest compatable cartridge to just check it out.
    >If you are actually interested in color printing you will have to be more
    >discerning about purchasing quality compatable cartridges.

    And that is difficult to do since what you get is not adequately
    described on the vendors websites and you never know when they change
    their suppliers.

    > Burt wrote:
    >
    >>"Choreboy" <choreboyREMOVE@localnet.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I cleaned the contacts.
    >>>
    >>>I have a new photocolor cartridge, which replaces the black. I put it
    >>>in without tanks and got five beeps. (If you remove a cartridge and put
    >>>it back, you get five beeps instead of six.)
    >>>
    >>>If it's a cartridge, it must be the color one, which I don't need
    >>>anyway. I'd have to buy a color cartridge without known if that would
    >>>fix it.
    >>>

    >>If you are simply trying to diagnose the problem to see it the print head
    >>is alive or dead buy the cheapest compatable cartridge to just check it
    >>out. If you are actually interested in color printing you will have to be
    >>more discerning about purchasing quality compatable cartridges.
    >
    > And that is difficult to do since what you get is not adequately described
    > on the vendors websites and you never know when they change their
    > suppliers.

    Since Choreboy is simply trying to see if his print head has died, any cart
    that works will do. If he wants a recommendation for carts and inks that
    people on the NG have used successfully he can look back to posts by
    Taliesyn, Ron Cohen, and me. Measekite - If I listed the vendors and inks
    your would accuse me of promoting vendors and their (brands/labels - your
    choice) products. When I don't you also criticize. I'm just trying to help
    the guy to figure out if his print head works as he is reluctant to buy OEM
    carts that he would then have no use for it the print head is dead. Why
    don't you try to understand what he has asked help with rather than use the
    opportunity to continue your arguement.

    Burt wrote:

    Measekite - If I listed the vendors and inks
    your would accuse me of promoting vendors and their (brands/labels - your
    choice) products. When I don't you also criticize. I'm just trying to
    help
    the guy to figure out if his print head works as he is reluctant to buy OEM
    carts that he would then have no use for it the print head is dead.
    Why don't you try to understand what he has asked help with rather than
    use the
    opportunity to continue your arguement.

    Burt please don't let this creeps attitude and total lack of knowledge
    keep you from freely posting and sharing that which you know to be true,
    accurate and honest. This ng needs and respects the knowledge and
    experience individuals such as yourself and others have gathered over
    the years.
    Anyone who frequents this ng more than once know that troll boy only
    likes to see his name on his monitor.
    Pay no attention to his rants and diatribes.
    Frank

    The beep errors ( or at least the ones you have had are detailed below)

    Error Condition=BJ Cartridge Mismatch - Indicator=Orange - Beeps=5 - Possible
    Solution=Re-install cartridge or replace it. See below for correct positions

    Error Condition=NO BJ Cartridge - Indicator=Orange - Beeps=6 - Possible
    Solution=Re-install cartridge or replace it

    Left Holder Right Holder
    BC-30 BC-31
    BC-32 BC-31

    Note that neither error is an "out of ink" error.
    The likely problem is a failed printhead BUT see Burt's advice in this thread,
    buying cheap ink cartridges will cost small change and you will then know
    whether the printhead has failed or not.
    Measekite has tried to hijack this thread to make some points. He has
    completely overlooked that we are trying to diagnose a problem here, not to
    sell you on anything. If the cheap cartridges do work then you can buy the
    cartridges of your choice and go back to printing, if not you know where you
    stand.
    Keep the faith
    Good luck
    Tony

    Choreboy <choreboyREMOVE@localnet.com> wrote:
    >I cleaned the contacts.
    >
    >I have a new photocolor cartridge, which replaces the black. I put it
    >in without tanks and got five beeps. (If you remove a cartridge and put
    >it back, you get five beeps instead of six.)
    >
    >If it's a cartridge, it must be the color one, which I don't need
    >anyway. I'd have to buy a color cartridge without known if that would
    >fix it.
    >
    >Tony wrote:
    >>
    >> I suspect the head has failed, try removing it and clean the electrical
    >> contacts on the printhead and the ones they mate with in the printer with
    >> Isopropyl alcohol (don't touch the head nozzles at the bottom of the
    >> cartridge), if that does not work then a new printhead or printer (depending
    >>on
    >> relative cost) is the only answer.
    >> Tony
    >>
    >> Choreboy <choreboyREMOVE@localnet.com> wrote:
    >> >I haven't used my BJC-6000 in weeks. Today when I turned it on I got
    >> >six beeps. That's supposed to mean the cartridges aren't installed.
    >> >They worked fine the last time I printed. I took them out and put them
    >> >back. They are in their proper slots.
    >> >
    >> >Could there be corrosion in a sensor? What should I check?

    Here is a link to Canon BJC-6000 error codes:
    http://canonhelp.freehttp.com/BJC6000.htm

    Here is a link to the service manual
    http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/reference/manuals/Canon%20BJC%206000%20SM
    :P

    terry t wrote:

    > Here is a link to Canon BJC-6000 error codes:
    > http://canonhelp.freehttp.com/BJC6000.htm
    >
    > Here is a link to the service manual
    > http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/reference/manuals/Canon%20BJC%206000%20SM
    > :P
    Thank you.

    Burt wrote:

    > "Choreboy" <choreboyREMOVE@localnet.com> wrote in message
    > >I cleaned the contacts.
    > >
    > > I have a new photocolor cartridge, which replaces the black. I put it
    > > in without tanks and got five beeps. (If you remove a cartridge and put
    > > it back, you get five beeps instead of six.)
    > >
    > > If it's a cartridge, it must be the color one, which I don't need
    > > anyway. I'd have to buy a color cartridge without known if that would
    > > fix it.
    >
    > If you are simply trying to diagnose the problem to see it the print head
    > is alive or dead buy the cheapest compatable cartridge to just check it out.
    > If you are actually interested in color printing you will have to be more
    > discerning about purchasing quality compatable cartridges. In that case
    > check out postings on this NG by Taliesyn, Ron Cohen and me about inks and
    > cartridges.

    At the cheapest place I've found, a pair of cartridges would cost me
    $76. It would be a lot cheaper if I knew which cartridge was defective.
    If the problem is not a cartridge, it's money down the drain.

    on the internet - go to alotofthings web site, click on contact us, and go
    to their ebay store. buy their Arrow carts. Much cheaper and you can then
    do your testing. Although there have been reports from users of their
    products that are positive, I am only suggesting that you buy them to test
    the print head at your lowest cost. Then, if the print head is ok and you
    like the inks you can use them. If the print head is dead your expense is
    minimal. Less than $3 per cart. I have purchased their products on ebay.
    They were pleasant and informative when I spoke with them on the phone and
    their delivery was quick.

    Burt wrote:

    >on the internet - go to alotofthings web site, click on contact us, and go
    >to their ebay store. buy their Arrow carts.

    alotofcrap is unprofessional. If you are going to buy an aftermarket
    product find a more professional source.

    > Much cheaper and you can then
    >do your testing. Although there have been reports from users of their
    >products that are positive, I am only suggesting that you buy them to test
    >the print head at your lowest cost. Then, if the print head is ok and you
    >like the inks you can use them. If the print head is dead your expense is
    >minimal. Less than $3 per cart. I have purchased their products on ebay.
    >They were pleasant and informative when I spoke with them on the phone and
    >their delivery was quick.

    UNPROFESSIONAL.

    > Burt wrote:
    >
    >>on the internet - go to alotofthings web site, click on contact us, and go
    >>to their ebay store. buy their Arrow carts.
    >
    > alotofcrap is unprofessional. If you are going to buy an aftermarket
    > product find a more professional source.

    Where have I heard this song before? Choreboy - read posts by Ron Cohen and
    Taliesyn for their positive experiences with this vendor. Read posts by
    Measekite to see what kind of drivel he spouts. The fact is, however,
    Measekite, that if you read my post you will see that I wasn't recommending
    the ink. I was merely directing him to the source of some test carts at a
    very low price --- just what he asked for. Leave the poor guy alone and let
    him try to solve his printer problem.

    >> Much cheaper and you can then do your testing. Although there have been
    >> reports from users of their products that are positive, I am only
    >> suggesting that you buy them to test the print head at your lowest cost.
    >> Then, if the print head is ok and you like the inks you can use them.
    >> If the print head is dead your expense is minimal. Less than $3 per
    >> cart. I have purchased their products on ebay. They were pleasant and
    >> informative when I spoke with them on the phone and their delivery was
    >> quick.
    >>

    > UNPROFESSIONAL.

    That's what I would put as the epithet on Measekite's gravestone.

    Burt wrote:

    >>Burt wrote:
    >>

    >>>on the internet - go to alotofthings web site, click on contact us, and go
    >>>to their ebay store. buy their Arrow carts.
    >>>

    >>alotofcrap is unprofessional. If you are going to buy an aftermarket
    >>product find a more professional source.
    >>

    >Where have I heard this song before? Choreboy - read posts by Ron Cohen and
    >Taliesyn for their positive experiences with this vendor. Read posts by
    >Measekite to see what kind of drivel he spouts. The fact is, however,
    >Measekite, that if you read my post you will see that I wasn't recommending
    >the ink. I was merely directing him to the

    worst

    >source of some test carts at a
    >very low price --- just what he asked for. Leave the poor guy alone and let
    >him try to solve his printer problem.

    Why don't you, as its president and the above mentioned people plus a
    few others make up the AfterMarket Club. You guys all sing the same song.

    >>>Much cheaper and you can then do your testing. Although there have been
    >>>reports from users of their products that are positive, I am only
    >>>suggesting that you buy them to test the print head at your lowest cost.
    >>>Then, if the print head is ok and you like the inks you can use them.
    >>>If the print head is dead your expense is minimal. Less than $3 per
    >>>cart. I have purchased their products on ebay. They were pleasant and
    >>>informative when I spoke with them on the phone and their delivery was
    >>>quick.
    >>>

    >>UNPROFESSIONAL.
    >>

    >That's what I would put as the epithet on Measekite's gravestone.
    >

    >>>"Choreboy" <choreboyREMOVE@localnet.com> wrote in message

    I would like you to indicate just what this company has done which was
    unprofessional. And, state it clearly, because it will be your only
    chance to do so.

    In about 24 hours, I will be composing a letter to several companies,
    along with copies of a number of your posts, with recommendations that
    they begin libel proceeding against you. I and others have warned you
    numerous times that there are consequences to libel, and since I
    personally have no connection with any of these companies, my
    involvement will be completely as an observer of your behavior on this
    newsgroup.

    I am providing you with one last opportunity to clear yourself. I
    suggest it be convincing.

    Art

    measekite wrote:

    > Burt wrote:
    >
    >> on the internet - go to alotofthings web site, click on contact us,
    >> and go to their ebay store. buy their Arrow carts.
    >

    > alotofcrap is unprofessional. If you are going to buy an aftermarket
    > product find a more professional source.
    >
    >> Much cheaper and you can then do your testing. Although there have
    >> been reports from users of their products that are positive, I am only
    >> suggesting that you buy them to test the print head at your lowest
    >> cost. Then, if the print head is ok and you like the inks you can
    >> use them. If the print head is dead your expense is minimal. Less
    >> than $3 per cart. I have purchased their products on ebay. They were
    >> pleasant and informative when I spoke with them on the phone and their
    >> delivery was quick.
    >>

    > UNPROFESSIONAL.
    >
    >> "Choreboy" <choreboyREMOVE@localnet.com> wrote in message

    >>> At the cheapest place I've found, a pair of cartridges would cost me
    >>> $76. It would be a lot cheaper if I knew which cartridge was defective.
    >>> If the problem is not a cartridge, it's money down the drain.

    I'm sure you've noticed the numerous responses in which I've challenged
    Measekite on his "facts" or experiences. Never - not once - has he responded
    with a valid answer. When challenged to supply specifics, he/she/it doesn't
    do so. Why not? The answer is obvious, he doesn't have any in is fantasy
    world as an inkjet expert. Remember how he claimed to have been on the
    bleeding edge of HP inkjet technology and then claimed that it was eleven
    years ago. I asked him to do the math and state what year that was. As
    usual, no response. You know, and I know, what kind of printers HP was
    making eleven years ago, but Measekite obviously has no clue. He claims to
    have been a technical analyst for a company using over 1000 HP inkjets and
    an IBM 3090. I seriously doubt he knows much about a 3090, much less that he
    worked for a company using 1000 inkjets. He claims a vast knowledge and
    impressive CV, yet has the spelling and grammar ability of a not
    particularly bright fourteen year old. As always, his infantile responses
    are either profane and abusive or laden with inaccuracies. I know it's a
    game with him to elicit responses from those of us who aren't impressed with
    his pseudo guru status. He thinks we respond to him because of the little
    game he plays, but that isn't the case. Those responses are an attempt to
    salvage what was once a highly informative and interesting newsgroup from
    the blatant falsehoods and garbage he spews. As Burt noted, Measekites
    practices. Those are probably the only things about which he is truly
    qualified by experience to comment on.

    Ron

    "Arthur Entlich" <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >I would like you to indicate just what this company has done which was
    >unprofessional. And, state it clearly, because it will be your only chance
    >to do so.
    >
    > In about 24 hours, I will be composing a letter to several companies,
    > along with copies of a number of your posts, with recommendations that
    > they begin libel proceeding against you. I and others have warned you
    > numerous times that there are consequences to libel, and since I
    > personally have no connection with any of these companies, my involvement
    > will be completely as an observer of your behavior on this newsgroup.
    >
    > I am providing you with one last opportunity to clear yourself. I suggest
    > it be convincing.
    >
    > Art
    >
    >snipped>

    I didn't find their ebay store through contact us, but I did find their
    arrow carts. Canon calls them tanks. The device you put the tanks in
    is what Canon calls a cartridge. Cartridges cost a lot more than tanks.

    Burt wrote:

    > on the internet - go to alotofthings web site, click on contact us, and go
    > to their ebay store. buy their Arrow carts. Much cheaper and you can then
    > do your testing. Although there have been reports from users of their
    > products that are positive, I am only suggesting that you buy them to test
    > the print head at your lowest cost. Then, if the print head is ok and you
    > like the inks you can use them. If the print head is dead your expense is
    > minimal. Less than $3 per cart. I have purchased their products on ebay.
    > They were pleasant and informative when I spoke with them on the phone and
    > their delivery was quick.
    >
    > "Choreboy" <choreboyREMOVE@localnet.com> wrote in message
    > >

    > > Burt wrote:
    > >>
    > >> "Choreboy" <choreboyREMOVE@localnet.com> wrote in message

    > >> If you are simply trying to diagnose the problem to see it the print
    > >> head
    > >> is alive or dead buy the cheapest compatable cartridge to just check it
    > >> out.
    > >> If you are actually interested in color printing you will have to be more
    > >> discerning about purchasing quality compatable cartridges. In that case
    > >> check out postings on this NG by Taliesyn, Ron Cohen and me about inks
    > >> and
    > >> cartridges.
    > >> >
    > > At the cheapest place I've found, a pair of cartridges would cost me
    > > $76. It would be a lot cheaper if I knew which cartridge was defective.
    > > If the problem is not a cartridge, it's money down the drain.

    I haven't seen a reference on their website to their eBay store either,
    however it's easy enough to find in eBay. This is the link
    http://search.stores.ebay.com/search/search.dll?GetResult&sid=8015426&query=canon+bci-6+i860&fp=0&srchdesc=y
    The terms tanks and cartridges are used interchangeably. Both mean the same
    thing. Per the Canon iP4000 parts manual, the tanks and printhead fit into
    the Carriage unit, not Cartridge. Why does Canon use the term tank instead
    of cartridge. It's all marketing based upon selling the ThinkTank System.
    Ron

    >I didn't find their ebay store through contact us, but I did find their
    > arrow carts. Canon calls them tanks. The device you put the tanks in
    > is what Canon calls a cartridge. Cartridges cost a lot more than tanks.
    >

    > Burt wrote:
    >>
    >> on the internet - go to alotofthings web site, click on contact us, and
    >> go
    >> to their ebay store. buy their Arrow carts. Much cheaper and you can
    >> then
    >> do your testing. Although there have been reports from users of their
    >> products that are positive, I am only suggesting that you buy them to
    >> test
    >> the print head at your lowest cost. Then, if the print head is ok and
    >> you
    >> like the inks you can use them. If the print head is dead your expense
    >> is
    >> minimal. Less than $3 per cart. I have purchased their products on
    >> ebay.
    >> They were pleasant and informative when I spoke with them on the phone
    >> and
    >> their delivery was quick.
    >>
    >> "Choreboy" <choreboyREMOVE@localnet.com> wrote in message

    >> > At the cheapest place I've found, a pair of cartridges would cost me
    >> > $76. It would be a lot cheaper if I knew which cartridge was
    >> > defective.
    >> > If the problem is not a cartridge, it's money down the drain.

    "Choreboy" <choreboyREMOVE@localnet.com> wrote in message
    >I didn't find their ebay store through contact us, but I did find their
    > arrow carts. Canon calls them tanks. The device you put the tanks in
    > is what Canon calls a cartridge. Cartridges cost a lot more than tanks.

    Sorry - I used the terminology that most people use who either refill or
    purchase third party cartridges. I didn't realize that they had taken the
    link to the ebay store off their site. Their products are a bit more
    expensive on their own web site. I wonder if they are planning to close the
    ebay site and just sell off their web site. Fortunately, Ron Cohen posted
    the ebay site for you.

    > Burt wrote:
    >>
    >> on the internet - go to alotofthings web site, click on contact us, and
    >> go
    >> to their ebay store. buy their Arrow carts. Much cheaper and you can
    >> then
    >> do your testing. Although there have been reports from users of their
    >> products that are positive, I am only suggesting that you buy them to
    >> test
    >> the print head at your lowest cost. Then, if the print head is ok and
    >> you
    >> like the inks you can use them. If the print head is dead your expense
    >> is
    >> minimal. Less than $3 per cart. I have purchased their products on
    >> ebay.
    >> They were pleasant and informative when I spoke with them on the phone
    >> and
    >> their delivery was quick.
    >>
    >> "Choreboy" <choreboyREMOVE@localnet.com> wrote in message

    >> > At the cheapest place I've found, a pair of cartridges would cost me
    >> > $76. It would be a lot cheaper if I knew which cartridge was
    >> > defective.
    >> > If the problem is not a cartridge, it's money down the drain.

    My BJC-6000 manual calls the empty printhead units cartridges and the
    inkholders tanks. The manual says six beeps means I'm missing a
    cartridge.

    Ron Cohen wrote:

    > I haven't seen a reference on their website to their eBay store either,
    > however it's easy enough to find in eBay. This is the link
    > http://search.stores.ebay.com/search/search.dll?GetResult&sid=8015426&query=canon+bci-6+i860&fp=0&srchdesc=y
    > The terms tanks and cartridges are used interchangeably. Both mean the same
    > thing. Per the Canon iP4000 parts manual, the tanks and printhead fit into
    > the Carriage unit, not Cartridge. Why does Canon use the term tank instead
    > of cartridge. It's all marketing based upon selling the ThinkTank System.
    > Ron
    >
    > "Choreboy" <choreboyREMOVE@localnet.com> wrote in message
    > >I didn't find their ebay store through contact us, but I did find their
    > > arrow carts. Canon calls them tanks. The device you put the tanks in
    > > is what Canon calls a cartridge. Cartridges cost a lot more than tanks.
    > >

    > > Burt wrote:
    > >>
    > >> on the internet - go to alotofthings web site, click on contact us, and
    > >> go
    > >> to their ebay store. buy their Arrow carts. Much cheaper and you can
    > >> then
    > >> do your testing. Although there have been reports from users of their
    > >> products that are positive, I am only suggesting that you buy them to
    > >> test
    > >> the print head at your lowest cost. Then, if the print head is ok and
    > >> you
    > >> like the inks you can use them. If the print head is dead your expense
    > >> is
    > >> minimal. Less than $3 per cart. I have purchased their products on
    > >> ebay.
    > >> They were pleasant and informative when I spoke with them on the phone
    > >> and
    > >> their delivery was quick.
    > >>
    > >> "Choreboy" <choreboyREMOVE@localnet.com> wrote in message

    On the old BJC models 3000, 6000 etc the terminology you described is used.
    I just checked a BC-33e cartridge that is used in a BJC-3000. It consists of
    both a printhead and the individual ink tanks. This is consistent with the
    BJC-6000 except that the 6000 uses two cartridges. The BJC-6000 repair
    manual shows the printhead and tanks together to make up a cartridge and
    those two fit into a carriage. On the later models, the term cartridge isn't
    used in the repair manual. In the iP4000 manual the tanks and printhead are
    part of the carriage. One possible explanation for the difference in
    terminology is that on the earlier models the printhead was a supply item
    that could be purchased from retail sources. The BC-33e I referred to came
    from BestBuy and consists of the printhead and all four ink tanks. From what
    I see the BJC-6000 uses two cartridges, one for black and the other for
    color. In common usage by most users and online vendors, the ink tanks are
    generally referred to as ink cartridges. Now for the really important stuff.
    You mentioned that it would cost you $76 to replace both cartridges. For
    that same amount (or less) you could get a new iP3000 or a little more would
    get you an iP4000. To me that would make more sense than purchasing
    backlevel supply items for an old printer. BTW if you want to delve further
    into the BJC-6000 here is a link to free downloadable repair manuals.
    http://fileshare.eshop.bg/index.php?what=search You'll also need an RAR
    compression program to unpack the files. A google search will point you to
    various download sites.

    Ron

    > My BJC-6000 manual calls the empty printhead units cartridges and the
    > inkholders tanks. The manual says six beeps means I'm missing a
    > cartridge.
    >
    > Ron Cohen wrote:
    >>
    >> I haven't seen a reference on their website to their eBay store either,
    >> however it's easy enough to find in eBay. This is the link
    >> http://search.stores.ebay.com/search/search.dll?GetResult&sid=8015426&query=canon+bci-6+i860&fp=0&srchdesc=y
    >> The terms tanks and cartridges are used interchangeably. Both mean the
    >> same
    >> thing. Per the Canon iP4000 parts manual, the tanks and printhead fit
    >> into
    >> the Carriage unit, not Cartridge. Why does Canon use the term tank
    >> instead
    >> of cartridge. It's all marketing based upon selling the ThinkTank System.
    >> Ron
    >>
    >> "Choreboy" <choreboyREMOVE@localnet.com> wrote in message
    >> >I didn't find their ebay store through contact us, but I did find their
    >> > arrow carts. Canon calls them tanks. The device you put the tanks in
    >> > is what Canon calls a cartridge. Cartridges cost a lot more than
    >> > tanks.

    Thanks. In 1997 I put my Stylewriter (BJ-200) aside and got an Epson
    Color Stylus. It was nice to be able to print color, but there were a
    lot of expensive catches, and the printheads were so expensive that when
    I got a clog the printer wasn't worth fixing.

    I think I spent $300 on my BJC-6000 in 2000. The tanks were easy to
    refill and relatively cheap to replace. Now it won't tell me which
    cartridge is allegedly faulty and won't run so I can see for myself.
    I've lost faith in Canon.

    I'm tempted to get a laser printer. That would save on consumables and
    have a better shelf life. For now, I've pulled out the Stylewriter.
    The cartridge was old in 1997, but it still prints! I got a new one for $20.

    Ron Cohen wrote:

    > On the old BJC models 3000, 6000 etc the terminology you described is used.
    > I just checked a BC-33e cartridge that is used in a BJC-3000. It consists of
    > both a printhead and the individual ink tanks. This is consistent with the
    > BJC-6000 except that the 6000 uses two cartridges. The BJC-6000 repair
    > manual shows the printhead and tanks together to make up a cartridge and
    > those two fit into a carriage. On the later models, the term cartridge isn't
    > used in the repair manual. In the iP4000 manual the tanks and printhead are
    > part of the carriage. One possible explanation for the difference in
    > terminology is that on the earlier models the printhead was a supply item
    > that could be purchased from retail sources. The BC-33e I referred to came
    > from BestBuy and consists of the printhead and all four ink tanks. From what
    > I see the BJC-6000 uses two cartridges, one for black and the other for
    > color. In common usage by most users and online vendors, the ink tanks are
    > generally referred to as ink cartridges. Now for the really important stuff.
    > You mentioned that it would cost you $76 to replace both cartridges. For
    > that same amount (or less) you could get a new iP3000 or a little more would
    > get you an iP4000. To me that would make more sense than purchasing
    > backlevel supply items for an old printer. BTW if you want to delve further
    > into the BJC-6000 here is a link to free downloadable repair manuals.
    > http://fileshare.eshop.bg/index.php?what=search You'll also need an RAR
    > compression program to unpack the files. A google search will point you to
    > various download sites.
    >
    > Ron
    >
    > "Choreboy" <choreboyREMOVE@localnet.com> wrote in message
    > > My BJC-6000 manual calls the empty printhead units cartridges and the
    > > inkholders tanks. The manual says six beeps means I'm missing a
    > > cartridge.
    > >
    > > Ron Cohen wrote:
    > >>
    > >> I haven't seen a reference on their website to their eBay store either,
    > >> however it's easy enough to find in eBay. This is the link
    > >> http://search.stores.ebay.com/search/search.dll?GetResult&sid=8015426&query=canon+bci-6+i860&fp=0&srchdesc=y
    > >> The terms tanks and cartridges are used interchangeably. Both mean the
    > >> same
    > >> thing. Per the Canon iP4000 parts manual, the tanks and printhead fit
    > >> into
    > >> the Carriage unit, not Cartridge. Why does Canon use the term tank
    > >> instead
    > >> of cartridge. It's all marketing based upon selling the ThinkTank System.
    > >> Ron
    > >>
    > >> "Choreboy" <choreboyREMOVE@localnet.com> wrote in message

    Hi,
    according to the handbook six beeps means the BJ Cartridge is
    NOT installed.
    Solution : Install two BJ Cartridges, black in the left hand
    slot and colour in the right hand slot.
    I guess that if you have the Cartridges already installed
    then they may well be at the end of their life and require replacing
    with new ones, ence the warning beeps.

    Regards.

    Jim
    Down By The River Plym