Soggy_Popcorn

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Now that Conroe has lowered prices for virtually all lower processors, now would be a good time for me to get one. (I'm currently using a 3 GHz P4 on socket 478. Blech!) I was looking at 2 possibilities. I could buy an extremely cheap Pentium D 805 and OC the crap out of it (I was thinkin like 3.5 GHz) or a Athlon 64 3700+. Uses include gaming (the Oblivion sort), so performance is definitely important since their prices are virtually identical.

P.S. Please no fanboy crap here; I just want an honest comparison! Thx in advance.

General

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2004
How much money are you prepared to spend on the machine? (excluding components that you already have: mice, keyboard, monitor...)

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Now that Conroe has lowered prices for virtually all lower processors, now would be a good time for me to get one. (I'm currently using a 3 GHz P4 on socket 478. Blech!) I was looking at 2 possibilities. I could buy an extremely cheap Pentium D 805 and OC the crap out of it (I was thinkin like 3.5 GHz) or a Athlon 64 3700+. Uses include gaming (the Oblivion sort), so performance is definitely important since their prices are virtually identical.

P.S. Please no fanboy crap here; I just want an honest comparison! Thx in advance.
The 805D would be the better of the 2, as it's dual-core. No sense getting single-core now. You would be better off getting the x2 3800+ for the AMD side of the equation, as they can be had for ~$150 now.

Soggy_Popcorn

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Sorry, I had forgotten about this post for a while. In response to the price question, I was hoping to stick to only getting a CPU, mobo, and GPU, since my 1gb ddr1 ram serves me just fine now. Also, I'd like to keep my CPU well under that $150 mark, since I'd like to be able to get a decent GPU (currently using a Geforce 6200! :( )