moving w2k from one hard disk to another

I currently have an installation of w2k adv server on a slow 4 gb scsi drive and I want to move it to a faster hot swap drive on my server (don't ask how it got on the slow drive-I've had some difficulties). Is there a standard way to do this besides reinstall? The hardware would be the same - would setting up a mirror then breaking it work? One problem is the boot disk and system disks are different disks and the disk labeled system in disk mgr is my failed w2k installation (it happens to be disk 0 in the scsi chain). The current w2k disk is labeled boot in disk mgr. I think a mirror strategy would work, but I think I need to have the boot and system disks be the same disk - what points w2k to look at the old install boot.ini file? thanks, Pat
1 answer Last reply
More about moving hard disk another

    On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 11:46:04 -0800, "Pat H" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote:

    >I currently have an installation of w2k adv server on a slow 4 gb scsi drive and I want to move it to a faster hot swap drive on my server (don't ask how it got on the slow drive-I've had some difficulties). Is there a standard way to do this besides reinstall? The hardware would be the same - would setting up a mirror then breaking it work? One problem is the boot disk and system disks are different disks and the disk labeled system in disk mgr is my failed w2k installation (it happens to be disk 0 in the scsi chain). The current w2k disk is labeled boot in disk mgr. I think a mirror strategy would work, but I think I need to have the boot and system disks be the same disk - what points w2k to look at the old install boot.ini file? thanks, Pat

    See tip 2799 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsiinc.com

    Jerold Schulman
    Windows: General MVP
    JSI, Inc.