Why Won't XP Restore?

I hope someone can help, I am at my wit's end!

A few days ago I started constantly getting This Page Cannot Be
Displayed on many webpages and they still would not load after
refreshing or trying again to go to the page. Although I had installed
SP2 weeks ago, I hadn't noticed any problems with it, so I don't know
that it's the problem. I was given the disk at Best Buy when I bought
the computer. Other than using Norton Systemworks Pro 2003, Spybot,
Adaware and Spyware Blaster I haven't done anything else.

After checking and rechecking all settings and nothing making any
difference in getting the page not being displayed message, I decided
out of desperation to try a system restore. Go Back didn't have restore
points far enough back.

It didn't matter what date I picked from the dates showing in bold in
the XP restore feature, the system kept telling me with each one it
could not do a restore and to pick another date. BTW- I exited all
programs including all of the above before attempting the restore. Why
won't the system restore????

I have no idea what caused the page not displaying problem and am
completely unable to fix it. I basically have an expensive email
machine sitting on my desk- which I already had with LBB. If anyone has
any ideas, I'd sure be grateful. But mostly I want to know why my XP
absolutely will not do a restore????

Please and thank you......

Midge

Email replies cannot be received. Mailbox full to repel spam.
3 answers Last reply
More about restore

    First of all, you should not be having this type of problem so early and you
    should take advantage of your system's warranty and have either the
    manufacturer or the store where you purchased this help you with the issue.
    I'd suspect either an issue with a firewall or something that might have
    been removed by Ad Aware or something done in Norton Systemworks.

    As to System Restore, first, it doesn't always get along with Go Back.
    Usually it does but some people have had issues running both. Second, more
    often then not, when System Restore cannot restore, it usually means the its
    file store is corrupted. The only way to resolve this is by turning off
    System Restore and turning it back on. Note, this will wipe all restore
    points up to this time but since they aren't working they are of no use to
    you.

    You can find the means of turning off System Restore under the System
    Restore tab in System in Control Panel. Turn it off, reboot and turn it
    back on. As to the other issues, I strongly recommend asking the store or
    the manufacturer as the system is under warranty and you should not be
    having this type of issue.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "Midge" <SELA22@webtv.net> wrote in message
    >I hope someone can help, I am at my wit's end!
    >
    > A few days ago I started constantly getting This Page Cannot Be
    > Displayed on many webpages and they still would not load after
    > refreshing or trying again to go to the page. Although I had installed
    > SP2 weeks ago, I hadn't noticed any problems with it, so I don't know
    > that it's the problem. I was given the disk at Best Buy when I bought
    > the computer. Other than using Norton Systemworks Pro 2003, Spybot,
    > Adaware and Spyware Blaster I haven't done anything else.
    >
    > After checking and rechecking all settings and nothing making any
    > difference in getting the page not being displayed message, I decided
    > out of desperation to try a system restore. Go Back didn't have restore
    > points far enough back.
    >
    > It didn't matter what date I picked from the dates showing in bold in
    > the XP restore feature, the system kept telling me with each one it
    > could not do a restore and to pick another date. BTW- I exited all
    > programs including all of the above before attempting the restore. Why
    > won't the system restore????
    >
    > I have no idea what caused the page not displaying problem and am
    > completely unable to fix it. I basically have an expensive email
    > machine sitting on my desk- which I already had with LBB. If anyone has
    > any ideas, I'd sure be grateful. But mostly I want to know why my XP
    > absolutely will not do a restore????
    >
    > Please and thank you......
    >
    > Midge
    >
    > Email replies cannot be received. Mailbox full to repel spam.

    Thank you so much for answering so quickly. Will definitely take your
    advice regarding the restore feature.

    I, too, had a sinking feeling something may have been removed that
    shouldn't have been by either Adaware, Spybot or the even by One Button
    Check Up in Systemworks. That's why I was so intent on doing the
    restore. Gosh, I dread the inevitable arguing with the store and/or
    manufacturer to get some help, but I guess I need to try....

    BTW- what would cause a corruption in the restore feature already? I
    have been so careful to treat this computer with kid gloves because it's
    new even though it's not my first computer.

    Thanks again, Michael.

    Midge

    Email replies cannot be received. Mailbox full to repel spam.

    You're welcome.

    Any cleanup application, that is one that deletes various files might be the
    source though it's possible Go Back itself was the source. If the system
    has ever hung or crashed, the System Restore file store might become
    corrupted. There are any number of possibilities, at this point I'd check
    the Symantec website, www.symantec.com for any known issues in that regard
    between Systemworks and the System Restore feature, but if Ad Aware has ever
    found any malware on your system, if it was picked up by System Restore, it
    too might have been the source of the corruption.

    --

    > Thank you so much for answering so quickly. Will definitely take your
    > advice regarding the restore feature.
    >
    > I, too, had a sinking feeling something may have been removed that
    > shouldn't have been by either Adaware, Spybot or the even by One Button
    > Check Up in Systemworks. That's why I was so intent on doing the
    > restore. Gosh, I dread the inevitable arguing with the store and/or
    > manufacturer to get some help, but I guess I need to try....
    >
    > BTW- what would cause a corruption in the restore feature already? I
    > have been so careful to treat this computer with kid gloves because it's
    > new even though it's not my first computer.
    >
    > Thanks again, Michael.
    >
    > Midge
    >
    > Email replies cannot be received. Mailbox full to repel spam.

Windows XP