Sign in with
Your question

AMD 5000+ vs E6600 - Something worth investigating...

Last response: in Overclocking
July 25, 2006 7:10:57 PM

Ok while the E6600 beats AMD's X2 5000+ on most becnhmarks I noticed something.

When the game really seems to push the processor and the FPS comes closer to 50 the processors seem to almost be running on the same level. With very little gain in FPS between either. Or is this just the limitations on the GPU kicking in?

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/365/1/

The AMD 5000+ is around £30 cheaper for me and the motherboards are also more established and also about £20 cheaper.

Does anyone else have other becnhmarks comparing these two processors? Considering you don't really want to have your FPS higher than 50 anyway could the AMD 5000+ be a wiser choice? Since it is cheaper, and also performs better at 64 bit processing.

I thought I was dead set on conroe, but I'm not entirely sure.
July 25, 2006 9:54:13 PM

Quote:
Ok while the E6600 beats AMD's X2 5000+ on most becnhmarks I noticed something.

When the game really seems to push the processor and the FPS comes closer to 50 the processors seem to almost be running on the same level. With very little gain in FPS between either. Or is this just the limitations on the GPU kicking in?

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/365/1/

The AMD 5000+ is around £30 cheaper for me and the motherboards are also more established and also about £20 cheaper.

Does anyone else have other becnhmarks comparing these two processors? Considering you don't really want to have your FPS higher than 50 anyway could the AMD 5000+ be a wiser choice? Since it is cheaper, and also performs better at 64 bit processing.

I thought I was dead set on conroe, but I'm not entirely sure.
That's because of GPU limitations, as you said. Those particular benches are run at 16x12 with all the eye candy turned on. So at those resolutions, the CPU differences are small. If you game at lower resolutions, there will be a nice performance gain with Conroe. As far as the cost, yes the AM2 mobo's are cheaper, but to get decent performance out of the AM2, you need very good RAM(expensive). You can get cheaper RAM for the Conroe setup, without losing much performance at all. Therefore the RAM evens out against the cheaper mobo. :) 
!