Broadway Com PSU

Eagle784

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
I've read people's reservations about cheap PSUs, but THG used the 550W model to build that Pentium D 805 overclocked rig. Any thoughts?

earnhardt2

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
I have no issues buying a cheap PSU. I read the reviews by other customers on newegg to get an idea about how good the PSU is.

Eagle784

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
i believe they used a replacement PSU. That PSU would have crapped out.

You mean they said they used one and actually used another? I dunno, I've found THG to be pretty trustworthy.

And where's the motivation to lie about this of all things?

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
I have no issues buying a cheap PSU. I read the reviews by other customers on newegg to get an idea about how good the PSU is.

So you think customers that have bought few, maybe only one PS ever are better sources than professionals that have looked at many many units? And not only looked at them but used appropriate devices to test them under load while watching voltages, current ripple, etc?

Check out Jonnyguru.com and PS reviews on Toms, Anandtech, etc.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
It's your money, we can recommend that you get an Enermax, Antec, Seasonic, Silverstone or OCZ but if you really think that a $30 550w psu is the same then go buy it.

sailer

Splendid
I've read people's reservations about cheap PSUs, but THG used the 550W model to build that Pentium D 805 overclocked rig. Any thoughts?

Here's a thought: a cheap psu might work fine, but not consistently. An example is my Aspire 680 wt psu. Some reviews rate the company as poor, another says the company is unscrupulous. Yet mine has worked without flaw. So what gives? I might just be lucky. Maybe 9 out of 10 fail and I got the one that worked. I don't know. The Aspire company has acknowledged a bad past reputation and claims to be working to be trying to put out quality products now. Maybe that's why my psu is working fine, but maybe their claim is just a way to sucker people into buying their products. I don't know.

Overall, when hardware shows quality work, its going to cost more. Prices can be cut be using unrealiable compnents or by poor quality control, or both. To a great extent, the addage that you get what you pay for is true. You may get less than you pay for, but you won't get more. There are a few psu manufacterors that put out a good product, but charge too much. You won't get bad stuff from them, but you'll pay too much for what you get. The trick is to read reviews from several sources (Tom's, Anandtech, etc) ask for opinions of others who use various brands, and then make the best choice you can.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
It's your money, we can recommend that you get an Enermax, Antec, Seasonic, Silverstone or OCZ but if you really think that a $30 550w psu is the same then go buy it.

I would suck if a no namebrand $30 (or whatever) PSU dies and takes other more expensive hardware components with it to Hardware Heaven.

lol. exactly my thoughts

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004

I would suck if a no namebrand $30 (or whatever) PSU dies and takes other more expensive hardware components with it to Hardware Heaven.

lol. exactly my thoughts

Well he would definitely learn not to buy shitty psu's then. Like telling a kid that he will burn himself if he plays with fire... they won't learn till they actually get burned.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
Well he would definitely learn not to buy shitty psu's then. Like telling a kid that he will burn himself if he plays with fire... they won't learn till they actually get burned.

We're probably all guilty of that kind of behavior from time to time. I know I've been there.

Eagle784

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
Well, after reading some reviews, I decided to heed your advice; bought a truepower 550 ($85 at ZZF). Lost some respect for THG tho.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Well, after reading some reviews, I decided to heed your advice; bought a truepower 550 ($85 at ZZF). Lost some respect for THG tho.

good choice.

Lol clueless. (clueless got burnt by Antec, bad batch)

Clueless recommends OCZ's and Fortrons. I do to but for mid range. Antec price is unbeatable. High end goes to OCZ/Fortron/Mushkin. Low end goes to fortron. Mid is awarded to antec.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006

good choice.

Lol clueless. (clueless got burnt by Antec, bad batch)

Clueless recommends OCZ's and Fortrons. I do to but for mid range. Antec price is unbeatable. High end goes to OCZ/Fortron/Mushkin. Low end goes to fortron. Mid is awarded to antec.

Yea, times change. I used to be all the way in the Antec camp. I agree, it was probably just the one in whatever, thousand or whatever the odds are. If Antec had treated me better, I wouldn't be so anti but customer service means a bunch to me. Normally Antec is reall good at CS too, so my one in one thousand PS blowup just happened to be coupled to a CS lady on a major bad day. Now they get theirs each time I post bad juju. I know they make good stuff - most of the time anyway...

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004

We're probably all guilty of that kind of behavior from time to time. I know I've been there.

Oh yes, I've learned this lesson enough times that I'm not going to do it with a computer that cost $3000 (don't get excited this was last september), or with any computer.

Gary_Busey

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
I've got a fairly cheap power supply, this one to be exact:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817101011

And it's been great. It's made by Tagan/ePower. They're associated with Topower, which also is associated with companies like OCZ and Vantec. I don't know if that has anything to do with the quality or not, but this power supply has been great, especially since I was in a bind and didn't have much to spend.

MasterLee

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
If one supply weighs 10 ounces and another weighs 4 pounds buy the heavier one.
Any supply new for $25, well ........you get what you pay for, and they usually cause great damage to other components.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
If one supply weighs 10 ounces and another weighs 4 pounds buy the heavier one.

The heavier one sounds better if you get PO'ed and have to toss it down the stairs.

but....the heavier ones cost more to ship :\

lol j/k