Why are the guards attacking me?

One of the biggest reliefs I get during Morrowind is when I enchant a
helmet or something with a constant effect of water breathing. No more
worrying about my next breath when I'm exploring underwater grottoes,
or diving for pearls, and fending off dreugh and slaughterfish at the
same time.

In my current game, I enchanted an Indoril helmet, and the guards
around the Temple in Vivec keep attacking me on sight! Could it be the
fact that I'm wearing an Indoril Helmet? I have a bounty of only 5, so
it wouldn't be that.

The problem is that when I go indoors and come out again, they've all
regenerated, so I have to kill more of them! It's making the game a bit
difficult! I tried not wearing the helmet, but they're still attacking.
So perhaps it's just because Sul-Matuul said he was going to
acknowledge me as the Nevevarine once I'd finished my business with the
Temple and the Great Houses, I don't know.

Why are they attacking, and what can I do to stop them attacking?

El Ramon wrote:

> One of the biggest reliefs I get during Morrowind is when I enchant a
> helmet or something with a constant effect of water breathing. No more
> worrying about my next breath when I'm exploring underwater grottoes,
> or diving for pearls, and fending off dreugh and slaughterfish at the
> same time.

YES! I love constant-effect items!

> In my current game, I enchanted an Indoril helmet, and the guards
> around the Temple in Vivec keep attacking me on sight! Could it be the
> fact that I'm wearing an Indoril Helmet?

Sorry, yes.

> Why are they attacking, and what can I do to stop them attacking?

They don't like people who are not-of-their-order to wear their sacred
armor. There is a mod to stop them, I think.

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 10:16:17 +1000, El Ramon <elramon@myway.com> wrote:

>In my current game, I enchanted an Indoril helmet, and the guards
>around the Temple in Vivec keep attacking me on sight! Could it be the
>fact that I'm wearing an Indoril Helmet? I have a bounty of only 5, so
>it wouldn't be that.

The Indoril helmet and cuirass both have a script attached to them that
angers all Ordinators who have seen you wearing them - it's their sacred
armour, and you're not a member of their order.

>The problem is that when I go indoors and come out again, they've all
>regenerated, so I have to kill more of them! It's making the game a bit
>difficult! I tried not wearing the helmet, but they're still attacking.

You have killed enough of them that the Ordinator faction is now
completely opposed to you. If you'd only killed one or two, that could
be recovered from, but now the only way to de-anger them is to cheat
with the console.

>Why are they attacking, and what can I do to stop them attacking?

If you're on the Xbox, there is no cure. For the PC version, use the ~
key to bring up the console. Then enter the following commands

Set Wearingordinatoruni to 0
"Ordinator Stationary"->StopCombat Player
"Ordinator Stationary"->setfight 10
"Ordinator Wander"->StopCombat Player
"Ordinator Wander"->setfight 10
"ordinator_wander_hp"->StopCombat Player
"ordinator_wander_hp"->setfight 10
"ordinator_wander_hvault"->StopCombat Player
"ordinator_wander_hvault"->setfight 10
"ordinator_wander_tvault"->StopCombat Player
"ordinator_wander_tvault"->setfight 10

All the different names are for different classes of ordinator. I
haven't tried this myself, but I got it from a few posts on the official
forums.
--
Greg Johnson
Give your child mental blocks for Christmas.

Thanks so much for trying to help me. Unfortunately I'm on the x-box,
so there is no cure. :(

El Ramon