broken on/off button

December 14, 2004 8:26:42 AM

It looks like the switch was stuck inside the PPC. Is there something
broken that I have buy parts to get it fixed? I can't find a screwdriver to
open the box to see the problem with the button.

Any place I can get the screw driver and parts to fix the on/off button?

THANKS,

cpliu

More about : broken button

Anonymous
December 14, 2004 8:58:26 AM

"cpliu" <chanciusliuDeleteThis@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> It looks like the switch was stuck inside the PPC. Is there something
> broken that I have buy parts to get it fixed? I can't find a screwdriver
> open the box to see the problem with the button.
>
> Any place I can get the screw driver and parts to fix the on/off button?
>
> THANKS,
>
> cpliu

Any particular button on any particular machine?

Most of these tend to be microswitches soldered to a circuit board and not a
user repair. try contacting your unnamed maker and ask about repair costs.
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 6:23:56 PM

"AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote in

> Any particular button on any particular machine?
>
> Most of these tend to be microswitches soldered to a circuit board and
> not a user repair. try contacting your unnamed maker and ask about
> repair costs.

It's the on/off switch on the top of a Compaq iPaq 3835. I can still turn
on the PPC by pressing other buttons but I won't be able to turn it off.
It just turn itself off after minutes of inactivity.

I thought it was just a mechanism detached from the button on the board
like a PC. Since I couldn't find a screwdriver of that size and shape, I
can't assess the damage. You're saying it's not as simple as re-connect
the button on board to the exterior. I should not try it myself!?

Thanks,

cpliu
December 14, 2004 6:23:57 PM

The 38xx series is pretty old and likely out of warranty unless it was
purchased with and extended one.

If the unit is not usable as it is, you have little to loose by opening
the case, especially if you have the skills to do so.

A number of sites post disassembly experiences, including images, so a
good place to start would be to google for IPAQ DISASSEMBLY

HTH,
Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
December 14, 2004 8:29:03 PM

Hi
If you are really stuck, do a search on the net for TodayWarrior. This is a
Today plugin that gives you various functions including a 'switch off'
--
Andy.

message news:o PWH8Rf4EHA.3504@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> The 38xx series is pretty old and likely out of warranty unless it was
> purchased with and extended one.
>
> If the unit is not usable as it is, you have little to loose by opening
> the case, especially if you have the skills to do so.
>
> A number of sites post disassembly experiences, including images, so a
> good place to start would be to google for IPAQ DISASSEMBLY
>
> HTH,
December 15, 2004 2:01:04 AM

cpliu wrote:
[...]
> I thought it was just a mechanism detached from the button on the
> board like a PC. Since I couldn't find a screwdriver of that size and
> shape, I can't assess the damage. You're saying it's not as simple as
> re-connect the button on board to the exterior. I should not try it
> myself!?

The screwdriver is a T6 Torx driver - you should be able to get it from any
number of places. Shouldn't hurt to _carefully_ open it up and take a look,
but if the actual microswitch is broken, unless you have good soldering
skills, you probably won't want to try and replace it yourself.

Tony
Anonymous
December 17, 2004 11:35:33 AM

There are programs available to assign another button to the on/off
function.

http://www.phm.lu/Products/PocketPC/PowerToys/

Dale

--