NTFS File System on Hard Drive

I want to remove the NTFS file system on a hard drive and
recognize it. How can I achieve a FAT-32 file system?
6 answers Last reply
More about ntfs file system hard drive

    In news:1a3b01c4ac07$1fc06eb0$a601280a@phx.gbl,
    Aaron Stieglitz <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    >I want to remove the NTFS file system on a hard drive and
    > recognize it. How can I achieve a FAT-32 file system?

    Windows provides no way to do this. If you want to do this
    without losing what's on the drive, you need a third-party
    program, and the only such program I know of that claims to do
    this is Partition Magic.

    If you are willing to lose what's on the drive, use FDISK to
    remove the non-DOS partition, then create a FAT32 partition.

    Why do you want to do this? Unless you're planning on dual
    booting with Windows 98 or Me, it's a mistake, in my view.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Hi,

    You really shouldn't be using fdisk with WinXP, but what you need to do is
    remove the non-dos partition with it, then create a new FAT32 primary.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Aaron Stieglitz" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I want to remove the NTFS file system on a hard drive and
    > recognize it. How can I achieve a FAT-32 file system?

    Rick,

    Why do you say fdisk should not be used with XP?

    --
    Curt

    > Hi,
    >
    > You really shouldn't be using fdisk with WinXP, but what you need to do is
    > remove the non-dos partition with it, then create a new FAT32 primary.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    Has to do with drive structure and partition alignment, and that most older
    versions of fdisk do not handle disks beyond 64GB. XP has a perfectly good
    drive tool included, though if someone insists on going backwards they will
    need to use fdisk to create a FAT32 partition beyond 32GB and format it.

    --

    "Curt" <no-no@no-time.com> wrote in message
    > Rick,
    >
    > Why do you say fdisk should not be used with XP?
    >
    > --
    > Curt

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> You really shouldn't be using fdisk with WinXP, but what you need to do
    >> is remove the non-dos partition with it, then create a new FAT32 primary.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    OK, it makes sense in the context of a large HD allowing the creation of
    32+GB partitions. Speaking strictly for myself, I've used both fdisk and the
    XP cd to format and partition. I've not yet found the need for an HD larger
    than 40GB, so either tool works for me. I will say that I was ,initially, a
    bit apprehensive about formatting in NTFS and stuck with FAT32 for a couple
    of months before converting to NTFS. I had read or heard that XP ran a bit
    faster with FAT32. But I really didn't see any noticeable slow down with
    NTFS, so my 3 systems and 2 systems I built for family members are all NTFS.
    Thanks for the info.

    --
    Curt

    > Has to do with drive structure and partition alignment, and that most
    > older versions of fdisk do not handle disks beyond 64GB. XP has a
    > perfectly good drive tool included, though if someone insists on going
    > backwards they will need to use fdisk to create a FAT32 partition beyond
    > 32GB and format it.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Curt" <no-no@no-time.com> wrote in message
    >> Rick,
    >>
    >> Why do you say fdisk should not be used with XP?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Curt
    >>

    >> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> You really shouldn't be using fdisk with WinXP, but what you need to do
    >>> is remove the non-dos partition with it, then create a new FAT32
    >>> primary.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Best of Luck,

    >>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >>> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    >>> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    >>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    Actually, FAT32 is slightly faster on partitions of 30GB or less but NTFS is
    faster on larger partitions. However, speed is not the primary
    consideration. NTFS supports significant security and self healing
    capabilities that FAT32 cannot do. My C: drive has 42GB of used space and
    each partition should have at least 15% free space to allow for temp files
    during operations like defragmentation, so one size does not fit all. A lot
    of the reasons for partitioning a physical drive have gone away over the
    years as file systems are able to handle very large partitions.

    > OK, it makes sense in the context of a large HD allowing the creation of
    > 32+GB partitions. Speaking strictly for myself, I've used both fdisk and
    > the XP cd to format and partition. I've not yet found the need for an HD
    > larger than 40GB, so either tool works for me. I will say that I was
    > ,initially, a bit apprehensive about formatting in NTFS and stuck with
    > FAT32 for a couple of months before converting to NTFS. I had read or
    > heard that XP ran a bit faster with FAT32. But I really didn't see any
    > noticeable slow down with NTFS, so my 3 systems and 2 systems I built for
    > family members are all NTFS. Thanks for the info.
    >
    > --
    > Curt

    >> Has to do with drive structure and partition alignment, and that most
    >> older versions of fdisk do not handle disks beyond 64GB. XP has a
    >> perfectly good drive tool included, though if someone insists on going
    >> backwards they will need to use fdisk to create a FAT32 partition beyond
    >> 32GB and format it.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "Curt" <no-no@no-time.com> wrote in message
    >>> Rick,
    >>>
    >>> Why do you say fdisk should not be used with XP?
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Curt
    >>>

    >>> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message

File System NTFS Hard Drives Windows XP