Sign in with
Your question

Pentium D960 or Conroe E6400

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
July 25, 2006 8:52:22 PM

Hi guys,

First post here so it's good to meet everyone. I have had the same rig for about 3 years now and it's time to upgrade. I have a Raptor that I am carrying over and the rest of the stuff (drives, keyboard, etc.) I will also carry over. The main four components that I need to get are:

CPU
Motherboard
RAM
Video card

Since this is the CPU forum I will just stick to the CPU. I have been reading up so I know the new Dual Core CPUs are coming from Intel soon. I was just wondering if it is possible to get a CPU that will perform as well as the Conroe CPUs now? I am eager to get the machine built so I am not that interested in waiting a month. I was looking at the Pentium D960 which is available now. How do you think it will compare to the Conroe E6400? Would it be a big mistake not to wait for the Conroe? Thanks for any suggestions!!
July 25, 2006 9:13:03 PM

Either wait for conroe or get an amd set up. Conroe eats pentium D for breakfast. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm Dual core net burst technology. sell you old stuff and then upgrade.
July 25, 2006 9:35:49 PM

Go Conroe, its very much worth it.
Related resources
July 25, 2006 9:41:35 PM

Definately get the Conroe. If you want to save a bit of $$$, then get the E6300 and overclock it.
July 26, 2006 4:32:58 AM

Definitely wait for Conroe. The only reason you shouldn't is if you absolutely need a PC immediately. And even then, an AMD would be better than a Netburst chip.
!