High pitch tone from DVI port upon logging off

Buzz66

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2006
Just got a BENQ FP93G X LCD, really happy with it. But when I shut down, high pitch tone comes from DVI connection to my video card. Ceases when I unplug it, and is fine when plugged back in. Any ideas what is causing this, or am I doomed to manually remove the cable everytime I shut down???

yourmothersanastronaut

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
LOL.

Your name is "Cafuddled", and you think he should lock himself into the loony bin? ROFL. Just kidding, of course. Or am I...:twisted:

Hmm, that's weird. Are you sure it's coming from the DVI port? Maybe they replaced some of the connections with a piezo buzzer...:roll:

My BenQ FP202W put out too much heat for me to deal with, and my room is hot enough already, so I sold it and bought a Viewsonic (the one in my sig) :wink:. But I've never heard it whine before 8O.

earnhardt2

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Are you positive that it is coming from the DVI port? I have never heard of anything like this before. But, first time for everything, right? :eek:

Did some looking up and it looks to be the cable itself. The ground pin and the hotplug pin may be interfering as they are right next to each other inside the cable. If they start interfering you will hear noise and the noise will continue even when the computer is powered down. So all you need to do replace the DVI cable.

Here is more information on the cable diagram if you are interested.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/digital_Visual_Interface

I didnt not find the voltage that runs though the hotplug pin, but it may be enough to damage the display if not replaced.

A ticking cable though means you have a bomb. But talk to Strange Stranger about that.

Buzz66

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2006
Guess will try new cable then. My first monitor with DVI, so wasn't sure. Thanx to all for the "meaningful" responses. :?