AMD's L2 Cache

They discontinuing processors that have 1MB bc 512k l2 cache cpus perform better or very close in benchmarks? amds cpu work better with less cache(to a point) compared to intel?
12 answers Last reply
More about cache
  1. Quote:
    They discontinuing processors that have 1MB bc 512k l2 cache cpus perform better or very close in benchmarks? amds cpu work better with less cache(to a point) compared to intel?

I doubt less is better,
    they have less because they dont have the manufacturing capability probably to have 1mb of cache on every CPU.
  2. More cache is better, AMD made a decision to cut cache in an attempt to make some cash, since large CPU caches would mean less cash banked... so it was written...
  3. Quote:
    More cache is better, AMD made a decision to cut cache in an attempt to make some cash, since large CPU caches would mean less cash banked... so it was written...

You did that on purpose :lol:

Now, how many times can you use "meow" in a sentence?
  4. Quote:
    More cache is better, AMD made a decision to cut cache in an attempt to make some cash, since large CPU caches would mean less cash banked... so it was written...

Listen meow, I don't want no trouble meow, but I think that Amd should put some more L2 cache in it's chips right meow. I mean intel has 2/4 MB L2 cache in it's chips right meow, so I think Amd should try to right there wrong meow. Before it's gets out of hand, then should nip it in the bud meow...

LoL I love supertroopers.
  5. Quote:

Listen meow, I don't want no trouble meow, but I think that Amd should put some more L2 cache in it's chips right meow. I mean intel has 2/4 MB L2 cache in it's chips right meow, so I think Amd should try to right there wrong meow. Before it's gets out of hand, then should nip it in the bud meow...

LoL I love supertroopers.You should go hock up that furball. :wink:
  6. Quote:

AMD discontinued the 2x1MB X2's for a number of reason's. First and foremost it was to allow them to compete with Intel price-wise in the upcoming price war(I say upcoming because getting either an X2 or Core 2 Due in the next couple of month's will inevitably be very difficult because of the low prices). They are behind in manufacturing and this descision was made to keep their manufacturing costs as low as possible. Luckily for them, the K8 by design with the IMC is not affected as much by cache sizes as other chip's out there so it doesnt really affect them too much. Their yields are good enough so that they have more clockspeed headroom with the 512KB cache chips to make up for the difference.
  7. Quote:

:trophy: Well done! I was wondering if anyone would catch the reference. Its hard to believe, but there are still poeple in the world who have not seen Super Troopers

Peace
  8. Cabin fever was pretty good too. Those guys are nuts.
  9. AMD has an Integrated Memory Controller that reduces latencies by 30-50% compered to an external memory controller connected through some sort of bus (no matter for the tecnology or speed).
    Using 1MB cache besides 512kB reduces it by another 7-8%: no more sense in a performance/price competition.

So they discontinued the 1MB L2 cache chips in order to reduce costs and be able to fight Intel Conroe with a sharp price cut, loosing insignificantly little amount of performance.
  10. Quote:
    Cabin fever was pretty good too. Those guys are nuts.

Ya,it was. But I didnt think Club Dread was nearly as funny. I hope the rumours floating around about a Super Troopers 2 are true. If so, that should be a blast

Peace
  11. Quote:

Listen meow, I don't want no trouble meow, but I think that Amd should put some more L2 cache in it's chips right meow. I mean intel has 2/4 MB L2 cache in it's chips right meow, so I think Amd should try to right their wrong meow. Before it's gets out of hand, then should nip it in the bud meow...

:trophy: Well done! I was wondering if anyone would catch the reference. Its hard to believe, but there are still poeple in the world who have not seen Super Troopers

Peace

Well I tried really REALLy hard lol. Thanks for the trophy.

And I have heard the rumors of ST2, that would rock.
  12. great idea then. Affordable cpu with little performance drop.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs AMD Cache Processors