enchanting and miscellaneous help?

anyone know any really good guides on this? i get the basics, just a few
things.

1) what skills affect what? i had enchatment to 12 or 13 or so, and i could
enchant a sword i had to a huge '6'. I train up my enchanting as much as i
can (50 or so i think) and it's still the same

I've got pretty high skills for the spells i want to enchant with, and ive
tried ltos fo souls, upto a golden saint. ive used idfferent items a lot
(steel dai-katana and some 2 handed thing i got in balmora i think, like a
claymore). what changes the amount i can enchant, cos frankly, a 2 or 3
second paralysis really doesnt make a huge difference. a ring that
constantly restores 1-4 health is slightly mroe useful, but not great.

2) does enchanting an item make its value go up accordingly, or less so?
i.e. i have a grand soul gem, its worth a bit, i get a golden saint soul in
it, its worth 80 grand...when i finally make an item with it, will it be
worth mroe or less than that 80 grand? i spose it'll depend partyly on what
i put on the enchantment.

3) im guessing tis not possible to capture any npc's soul, only monsters.
does anyone know of a mod which changes this? making a half decent sword
with the soul of someone big and bad would be kinda cool.

4) if there isnt a mod for the above, anyone able to tell me if tis possible
for me to do it msyelf with the construction set. ive not really done rmoe
than open it once (i get a load of errors about the lines npc's say when i
open the data files, everythign seems fine, btu then ive not donre any
editing. is this normal?).

anyhho, cheers for any jelp you folks can offer, i finished my exams lkast
thursday for the summer and been playing since then, saving mq for the end
and trying to do ltos of other stuff first, including learning to enchant.

adam

"Adam Lion" wrote:
> 1) what skills affect what? i had enchatment to 12 or 13 or so, and i
> could enchant a sword i had to a huge '6'. I train up my enchanting as
> much as i can (50 or so i think) and it's still the same

The "enchantability" of an item is constant - it has nothing to do with you.
A Glass Pauldron can only hold 1 point of enchantment, I think. A Daedric
Tower Shield can hold 225 points of enchantment. When your skills are low,
you will have little trouble enchanting a Glass Pauldron. On the other
hand, even with your skills maxed out, enchanting a Daedric Tower Shield is
next to impossible. Also, the charge on a soul gem is constant. A Golden
Saint has 400 points, a Winged Twilight has 300 points, a Hunger has 250
points, and those values stay constant. However, the cost used per use will
go down as your Enchant skill increases. For example, if a sword has a Cast
on Strike that uses 50 points of enchantment, and the sword has a maximum
charge of 300, the 300 will stay constant, but the 50 will go down as your
enchant skill increases. I also believe the item recharges faster as your
enchant skill increases.

BTW, the important stats for enchanting are the Enchant skill (obviously),
and your Intelligence attribute. The higher those stats go, the more likely
you will be at successfully making an enchanted item, and the more powerful
the effects you will be able to put on it. Of course, you have to find high
quality items that can hold a lot of enchantment points - Daedric and ebony
are decent for weapons and armor (helmets and shields tend to be the most
enchantable of those items), while anything labeled "exquisite" is best for
clothing. Also, enchanting does not affect the value of an item. If you
use a soulgem worth 50,000 to enchant a 100 value ring, the ring will still
be worth 100, not 50,100.

Something I am doing right now is playing a character who refuses to
use/wear anything enchanted unless she enchanted it herself. Adds a little
twist and some extra challenge to the game.

Hope this helps.

--
Rick Cavalla
rac22@NO.erols.SPAM.com

Adam Lion wrote:

> anyone know any really good guides on this? i get the basics, just a few
> things.
>
> 1) what skills affect what? i had enchatment to 12 or 13 or so, and i could
> enchant a sword i had to a huge '6'. I train up my enchanting as much as i
> can (50 or so i think) and it's still the same

The enchantability of an item has nothing to do with your skill. It is
a derived from the items material and quality. An exquisite amulet can
carry a much more powerful enchantment than a common amulet. Similarly
a Daedric Katana can be enchanted to a higher level than a steel one.
One way to find out is to take the item to an enchanter in a mage's
guild branch and see what you can do.

> I've got pretty high skills for the spells i want to enchant with, and ive
> tried ltos fo souls, upto a golden saint. ive used idfferent items a lot
> (steel dai-katana and some 2 handed thing i got in balmora i think, like a
> claymore). what changes the amount i can enchant, cos frankly, a 2 or 3
> second paralysis really doesnt make a huge difference. a ring that
> constantly restores 1-4 health is slightly mroe useful, but not great.
>
> 2) does enchanting an item make its value go up accordingly, or less so?
> i.e. i have a grand soul gem, its worth a bit, i get a golden saint soul in
> it, its worth 80 grand...when i finally make an item with it, will it be
> worth mroe or less than that 80 grand? i spose it'll depend partyly on what
> i put on the enchantment.

Enchanting an item has very little to do with its value. Placing a
golden saint in a sword will increase the value by almost nothing.
Don't look at enchanting as a way to make money.

> 3) im guessing tis not possible to capture any npc's soul, only monsters.
> does anyone know of a mod which changes this? making a half decent sword
> with the soul of someone big and bad would be kinda cool.

Some of the "big and bad" NPCs can be soul trapped.

"Rick Cavalla" <rac22@erols.com> wrote in message news:<4137d3fa$0$19704$61fed72c@news.rcn.com>...
> "Adam Lion" wrote:
> > 1) what skills affect what? i had enchatment to 12 or 13 or so, and i
> > could enchant a sword i had to a huge '6'. I train up my enchanting as
> > much as i can (50 or so i think) and it's still the same

Intellect seems more important than enchant--especially if it is
boosted by alchemy, spells or artifacts. High intellect does make
enchantments somewhat cheaper (allowing you to pack somewhat more
spell into an item)....but you won't notice much difference if your
intellect is unboosted.

Note, if you don't want to boost your intellect to godlike levels
via stacking potions of boost intellect, you can get modest increases
by things like making a spell or artifact that boosts your intellect a
bunch, but for only a few seconds. The few seconds is enough to see
you through an enchantment or alchemy session. Last game I made an
amulet that boosted intellect by 100 for three seconds. This worked
well for a quick mana boost or enchantment/alchemy session. (Yes, I
know, you can get many thousands of points of intellect from potions
until you are bored stiff drinking them. But too much of that
unbalances the game. Not to mention things like a zillion point light
spell with crash your game when the computer gets lost calculating
reflections.)

On 3 Sep 2004 05:20:29 -0700, von.sagrillo@verizon.net (DeAnn) wrote:

> Note, if you don't want to boost your intellect to godlike levels
>via stacking potions of boost intellect, you can get modest increases
>by things like making a spell or artifact that boosts your intellect a
>bunch, but for only a few seconds. The few seconds is enough to see
>you through an enchantment or alchemy session. Last game I made an
>amulet that boosted intellect by 100 for three seconds. This worked
>well for a quick mana boost or enchantment/alchemy session.

For extra effect, you could stack a Luck boost as well, since that also
affects the result.
--
Greg Johnson
Give your child mental blocks for Christmas.