Sign in with
Your question

Adequate cooling for new mid-range rig?

Last response: in Systems
July 25, 2006 9:28:47 PM

Hello everyone. This is my first post, though I've lurked for some time, so be gentle.

I've just purchased components for a new mid-range rig, and was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on cooling. Stock cooling seems adequate, given my case, but I'm fishing for second opinions.

Setup:
AMD X2 3800+ (1.3V-1.4V, S939)
Abit AN8-SLi mobo
Patriot 2GB (2x1GB) dual-channel pc3200 RAM (CAS2, 2-3-2-5)
Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 160GB perpendicular hdd x 2
Gigabyte geforce7600GT w/ Silent Pipe II
Silverstone SST-ST50EF ATX12V 500W psu (dual +12V rails, active PFC)
Samsung SH-S162L/BEBN DVD+/-RW

All stuck in:
Coolermaster Cenutrion 5 CAC-T05-UW case (entire fron face is ventilated mesh)

Which means:
1 x 80mm intake fan (in front of hdds, of course)
1 x 120mm exhaust fan
1 x side air duct
1 x 120mm fan integrated in psu
1 x integrated heatsink/pipe with gpu
1 x integrated heatsink/pipe with mobo's northbridge
1 x stock heatsink and fan with cpu

And I've bought Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound for the cpu.

Now, THG's review said my chosen gpu actually generated less heat than fan-cooled cards, and I keep reading raves about how cool the Centurion-5 is. And supposedly the perpendicular-hdds have fewer moving parts, which means less heat, right?

I plan to do no overclocking whatsoever, and primary use will be basic internet and word processing, Adobe CreativeSuite graphic design and moderate gaming (WoW)-- am I good on airflow, or should I invest in some extra case fans? Do not plan on running it 24/7.

Thank you for any help you could give.
July 25, 2006 11:40:09 PM

For those parts, All you would need is standard stock cooling. Just get some good reliable fans, put them in good places, and just let it go with the flow. If your going to overclock your 3800 though, may want to put something good there, otherwise, just a regular CPU fan would just dandy. What cooling system were you going to choose?
July 26, 2006 3:33:20 AM

Oh, I'm nowhere near capable enough to try watercooling or anything-- I was mostly just wondering if I need to add more fans than will come with my parts.
Related resources
July 26, 2006 5:23:01 AM

You will have great cooling. I would have no worries. I believe that the centurion has a fan behind the front mesh, or an optional intake fan there or something. I would put a fan there, and put your hard drive and other optical drives above the fan. Or at least put the drives as far away from the front intake fan as you can.

But yeah looks like a good system, looks like the one I'm going to build as well lol. But I'm using the sonata II case.
July 26, 2006 3:58:21 PM

Yeah, it's got an intake fan behind the mesh, in front of the 3.5" slots. You're saying I should but the hdds away from the fan?

Wouldn't putting them directly behind the fan improve their temp by pushing their heat towards the exhaust, or would that be detrimental to the rest of the rig, exposing them to the drives' heat needlessly?

(As you can tell, I'm pretty much a n00b when it comes to building these things.)

Thanks for the input so far.
!