Sign in with
Your question

Itanium 2 or Itanic 2

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
July 25, 2006 10:52:59 PM

What do you think the new itanium2 processer will be. Like is predecessor, expensive slow and problematic or smooth, quick and a reasonable price????

More about : itanium itanic

July 25, 2006 11:20:46 PM

I don't expect a whole lot form Itanium 2 dual cores.
July 25, 2006 11:25:01 PM

Quote:
What do you think the new itanium2 processer will be. Like is predecessor, expensive slow and problematic or smooth, quick and a reasonable price????

I just hope it watches out for icebergs... :lol: 
Related resources
July 26, 2006 12:03:00 AM

Quote:

They are faster in respects to IA-64 binaries, and from what I can tell the new price model is more competative then it was before.
July 26, 2006 1:08:22 AM

Quote:

They are faster in respects to IA-64 binaries, and from what I can tell the new price model is more competative then it was before.

There's still that little added cost of having to completely reprogram all software to be compatible with IA64. How much do you think that cost's on average? :wink:
July 26, 2006 1:10:13 AM

Quote:

There's still that little added cost of having to completely reprogram all software to be compatible with IA64. How much do you think that cost's on average? :wink:

Hence why I said IA-64 binaries, but recompileing software is cheap, less the price for the compiler. But who cares nothing noteable has been ported over to IA-64.
July 26, 2006 1:32:28 AM

Quote:

Hence why I said IA-64 binaries, but recompileing software is cheap, less the price for the compiler. But who cares nothing noteable has been ported over to IA-64.

When you buy Itanium does the blue man group come to your facility to take away all of your old crap for recycling because when you upgrade to IA64 everything else becomes useless. :lol: 
July 26, 2006 2:06:08 AM

Quote:

When you buy Itanium does the blue man group come to your facility to take away all of your old crap for recycling because when you upgrade to IA64 everything else becomes useless. :lol: 

I don't know last time I checked the Blue Man group's contract with Intel has expired.
July 26, 2006 2:21:38 AM

Quote:

I don't know last time I checked the Blue Man group's contract with Intel has expired.

Strong emphesis on the :lol: 
July 26, 2006 2:59:01 PM

Recompiling...... still the downfall of the Itanium. They need to take a lesson from AMD and make a 64bit but 32 bit compatiable, yet very stable when running 32 bit apps. The problem with running IA-64 has got to be software support. The benchmarks look alright, but the price tag can't be worth it.
July 27, 2006 12:28:11 AM

Quote:
Recompiling...... still the downfall of the Itanium. They need to take a lesson from AMD and make a 64bit but 32 bit compatiable, yet very stable when running 32 bit apps. The problem with running IA-64 has got to be software support. The benchmarks look alright, but the price tag can't be worth it.

ISA differences make that nearly a impossible feat, future Intel "cluster" chips will feature IA-64 thread management chips but that’s 2-4 years from now, so again another moot point for me to make.
July 27, 2006 2:54:18 AM

Quote:
Hey, is your avatar really a picture of you???

Yes that would be Harlan.
July 27, 2006 5:16:02 AM

If you had the higher res version you'd see many different names for that paticular plant. :wink: Beer is a coor's lite but I've since switched to Kokanee and various type's of honey brown.

Edit - BTW it's a cheer's to all the fine THG forum member's :D 
July 27, 2006 1:28:35 PM

I guess when you blow millions on an Itanium² Cluster, you do have the corresponding software ready.
July 27, 2006 5:04:27 PM

Quote:
I guess when you blow millions on an Itanium² Cluster, you do have the corresponding software ready.

You guess. Well I guess if one of the biggest, self promoting Intel fanboy's on the forum says it's true then it must be.
July 28, 2006 12:25:58 AM

Quote:

You guess. Well I guess if one of the biggest, self promoting Intel fanboy's on the forum says it's true then it must be.

He does have a point HPC users will spin their own code, but that is a niche segment at best so again moot.
July 28, 2006 12:35:51 AM

"Sir, there aren't enough lifeboats!"

*slowly pulls of glasses with one hand...*

"My god..."
July 28, 2006 12:37:16 AM

Quote:

"My god..."

OMG dude that was great I am seriously laughing you sir made my day.
July 28, 2006 1:33:32 AM

its gonna be like, so awesome its gonna pwn. Its gonna pwn so much that its gonna be awesome. And then everybody is gonna use it instead of amd and conroe and ppl will be like yeha freaking awesome i like video games man.

not really.

I have absolutely no clue i just thought id say something 8)
July 28, 2006 3:31:59 AM

Quote:

"My god..."

OMG dude that was great I am seriously laughing you sir made my day.

Well I try...hey if you like it so much put it in your sig :lol:  ...for me :wink: .
!