Error 1717: the interface is unknown

In a W2K member server, when I tried to start IIS/FTP
service, it said "Error 1717: the interface is unknown". I
also could not open the Event Viewer, the error message is
also "The interface is unknown".
Anyone knows what caused this problem and how to fix it?
Thanks in advance!
ZiEtEk
1 answer Last reply
More about error 1717 interface unknown

    --------------------
    >From: "ZiEtEk" <krzysztof.zietek@altkom.pl>
    >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server
    >Subject: Error 1717: the interface is unknown
    >Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 09:39:42 +0200
    >
    >In a W2K member server, when I tried to start IIS/FTP
    >service, it said "Error 1717: the interface is unknown". I
    >also could not open the Event Viewer, the error message is
    >also "The interface is unknown".
    >Anyone knows what caused this problem and how to fix it?
    >Thanks in advance!
    >ZiEtEk
    -----

    I have only seen this a few times and it was either one of two issues. Either the Event Log service was not started, started it
    resolved the issue, or the Event Log service was missing from the Services utility because of a corrupted registry key,
    importing the key from another system resolved the issue.

    Go to Services and make sure the Event Log service is there. If it is make sure it is started. If the Event Log service is
    missing go to the following registry key and compare it to a system that is working correctly.

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Eventlog

    If it is missing any major entries, in the issue I remember the Default value was the only thing listed under the key above,
    then export the key from the working system and import it on the problem system.

    Bill Peele
    Microsoft Enterprise Support

    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
    terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

    Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
    from which they originated.

Microsoft Servers Windows