I can only hear music and sounds from games *urgent*

For the past two hours I have been trying to fix my sound problem. I don't know how it started, but today, the only thing I've really done on my PC is install IE 7 beta 3. I was bored -_-

Anyway, I have a Chaintech soundcard and am using Envy24 drivers.

I can only hear music (from winamp, wmp, itunes; mp3s, wmas, anything) and sounds/music from all games. The problem is, I cannot hear anything else. I can't hear the sound when Windows starts up. I can't hear beeps and boops when sending/receiving AIM messages. I can't hear my friends talk in Ventrilo. It's many many things.

So far, I have done the following to try to fix the problem:

1) Mess with sound settings in Control Panel > Sound. Didn't work.
2) Uninstall and reinstall soundcard drivers. Did not work.
3) Uninstall soundcard drivers. Put soundcard in different PCI slot. Reinstall drivers. Didn't work.
4) Uninstall soundcard drivers. Remove soundcard. Dig up an old SB Live 5.1 soundcard and install that. I'm currently using the card and I still have the same damn problem. I can hear music fine, I can hear sounds in games fine, but I cannot hear practically anything else.

I have no idea what my problem may be and where it spawned from. I can't think of anything else, and I come to you guys seeking help. It can't be my soundcard(s)...it has to be something else. I do not wish to reformat. I can't use System Restore because I had problems with that in the past.

Work your magic. Thank you.
5 answers Last reply
More about hear music sounds games urgent
  1. You can try to system restore back till before it happened?
  2. I cannot do that. I don't have any restore points before then. *sigh*
  3. Do you have another prog/utility that screws with sound setts? I have one for mine and It overrides setts from my Volume Control..=/ I'd like to turn it off but it screws up my Mic for TS
  4. Not that I know of. I uninstalled UT2004 and the program that comes with it, SpeechRedish(sp?).

Other than that, nothing out of the ordinary. I simply download IE 7 beta 3 today and everything comes to this. meh
  5. I am yet to install the IE 7 Beta myself but I am wondering if it has installed some sort of service (IE being an Integral part of the OS and all).

If I were you I would try using MSConfig (Start->run->MSConfig).

In the General Tab, select Selective Start Up, then Untick "Load System Services" and "Load Startup Items", restart your PC and see if you have sound.

If your sound does work then one of the Services and or Start/up items are conficting, it is a case of working out which one it is, which is just a process of elimination (tick a heap in the list, restart, try again).

Good luck.

boble
Ask a new question

Read More

Sound Cards Music Drivers Games Components