Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade Advice Needed

Last response: in Systems
July 26, 2006 2:25:14 AM

I'm thinking of upgrading my current 3-4 year old system, the main reason being in order to handle the latest games. I've never done anything like this before a would call myself somewhat inexperienced so require the help of forum members for this. Please excuse my ingnorance.

Current System:

Dell Computer
Pentium 4 2.53 GHz
512MB RAM
Geforce 4 Ti4200

I'm definately going to upgrade the motherboard, RAM and the graphics card. I was also thinking about the sound and processor but my money is limited and I don't want to be spending large amounts. I've never even thought about buying a mobo before so any suggestions are welcome. I'm thinking about getting a Radeon X1800 XT 256mb for the graphics. Not sure about what I should do with the RAM. If you want me to be more specific with the system specs I can give you a detailed description later.

More about : upgrade advice needed

July 26, 2006 3:09:09 AM

Quote:
I'm thinking of upgrading my current 3-4 year old system, the main reason being in order to handle the latest games. I've never done anything like this before a would call myself somewhat inexperienced so require the help of forum members for this. Please excuse my ingnorance.

Current System:

Dell Computer
Pentium 4 2.53 GHz
512MB RAM
Geforce 4 Ti4200

I'm definately going to upgrade the motherboard, RAM and the graphics card. I was also thinking about the sound and processor but my money is limited and I don't want to be spending large amounts. I've never even thought about buying a mobo before so any suggestions are welcome. I'm thinking about getting a Radeon X1800 XT 256mb for the graphics. Not sure about what I should do with the RAM. If you want me to be more specific with the system specs I can give you a detailed description later.

Start by setting a budget. Are you saying you want to keep your CPU? I wouldn't bother upgrading unless you replace the CPU.
July 26, 2006 7:34:14 AM

I agree. Giving us a budget to work with for this build would be very helpful.
Related resources
July 26, 2006 10:24:47 AM

I would be interested in this too as my system is about the same and I'm looking for an upgrade path. My current system is this:

Pentium 4 2.8 GHz
Mobo MSI 648 Max
1.5GB DDR RAM
ATI 9600 PRO (AGP)

I'm just not sure what to do though as I really need to upgrade my gfx card as I do a lot of gaming but to do this I really need to get a PCI-express mobo. The only thing I'm really concerned about though is CPU's and whether I should wait a little while longer until they are cheaper. Also, can I salvage anything from my old rig into my new? I am thinking no right?

Another thing is that I need to update my whole system. Monitor, speakers, keyboard, and the tower contents so is it still cheaper to build it myself or should I just go out and buy a complete system in one?

EDIT: My budget is probably around £500 ($950) although I'm thinking this probably isn't really realistic for a complete system overhall. Maybe just £500 for the tower and monitor?
July 27, 2006 5:13:06 PM

My budget is similar, I'm from the U.K. as well and dont really want to spend over £500. I've also got the same problem about wanting to get a new graphics card but not having a mobo that has PCI Express.
July 27, 2006 5:49:27 PM

Ghost walker -

If all you realy want to do is upgrade your video card for games and you can hold out a little longer for a full new system I would go with Ati cards they have on clarence:

http://shop.ati.com/searchresults.asp?dept_id=39

It major upgrade for a very small price compaired to your 9600. That way you can hold off for a good 6months to a year (imho) until Vista and DX10 cards are out and tested.

For the orignal poster you are problably going to have issues with your PSU as well, to be honest other than maybe the hardrive I don't think there much to savage from that old dell it just maybe better to build a full new system and have two computer just in case. You *could* make that old dell usable if you were to upgrade the PSU,memory and get a good AGP video card (see link above) however I'm not sure I would recommend that unless you plan to build/buy a better computer in about a year or so.
!