Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Performance
  • Gaming
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 26, 2006 2:30:34 AM

Let's say both are 256mb and same price, which should I go with based purely on general gaming performance. Noise is not an issue. I won't use resolutions higher than 1280x1024.

More about : x1800xt 7900gt

a b U Graphics card
July 26, 2006 2:59:27 AM

It depends on the game. A X1800XT and a factory overclocked 7900GT offer about the same performance overall, but if you plan on putting alot of time into a certian game, then there may be one card that is better. For instance, I knew that I'd put hundreds of hours into Oblivion, and the X1800XT is better than the 7900GT in Oblivion, so the X1800XT was an obvious choice. I also like the feature advantage of using FSAA + OpenEXR HDR, which I use when playing Oblivion and the GF7's can't do that(hardware limitation). My vote is the X1800XT, but both are great performing cards for the money, and unless you get one of those bad burning 7900GT's, then you should be happy with either card.

Here is a rare review using a 256MB X1800XT. if you look at the FSAA/AF tests, the X1800Xt seems to outpace the 7900GT and X1900GT. Without FSAA the 7900GT and X1800XT are close, but honestly in this level of cards, looking at the fsaa/AF performance makes more sense. Who wants to shell out this kind of money and not enable the eye candy.
July 26, 2006 2:59:31 AM

To completely honest, its a tossup. Each card will win their fair share of tests. So it depends on the game, however the 7900gt uses a lot less power.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 26, 2006 3:02:29 AM

Alot less power, but has a much higher failure rate, a louder fan that runs 100% and pumps the hot air into the case. We aren't talking laptops and battery life here, so I'd take a dual slot cooler and a $5-10 more a year in electric just to have the hot GPU air pumped out of the case. Anyway, for every lot less power comment, there is the better flow of hot air response, so IMO it comes down to which plays your games better.
July 26, 2006 3:03:26 AM

It depends on the titles.

Oblivion, Age of Empires III, and Call of Duty 2 generally perform better on ATI solutions. Doom3, Quake 4 and other Open GL titles perform better on Nvidia, while other games such as Half-Life2, F.E.A.R. and Battlefield2 perform nearly the same on both cards. One extra thing to consider is the X1800XT's ability to use OpenEXR HDR with antialiasing simultaneously, and the ability to use ATI's "high quality" anisotropic filtering which is less angle dependant.
a b U Graphics card
July 26, 2006 3:06:00 AM

Quote:
Doom3, Quake 4 and other Open GL titles perform better on ATI

You need to edit your typo on the OGL winner. ;) 

Oh and I think BF2 while playing great on both, favors ATI. The X1800XT cranks at BF2 and allows for HQAF useage even.

Check out the AA/AF BF2 results in this review: http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/asus_extreme_x1800_...

The X1800XT beats out the high clocked 512MB 7800GTX and demolishes the (almost 7900GT) 256MB 7800GTX.
July 26, 2006 3:26:48 AM

As the others have noted, they trade blows, and which one is better, price independent, depends upon what applications you're going to use.

However, an x1800 is significantly cheaper than a 7900gt, regardless of the hypothetical you posed.
a b U Graphics card
July 26, 2006 3:35:40 AM

Quote:
However, an x1800 is significantly cheaper than a 7900gt, regardless of the hypothetical you posed

Yes, That was the case and may still be where you are from. But online in the USA I have seen 7900GT's as cheap as the cheapest X1800XT's after rebates. Buy.com had one for under $220 AR, about the same as the best Newegg X1800XT. Of course it was a very limited time, so not as long at that price as the X1800XT's were. Unless you know a better price, both seem to be around $235-240 AR now.
July 26, 2006 8:14:14 AM

The 7900GT and the X1800XT are abt the same price.
That is why u should get the 7900GT. It can be overclocked far beyond factory clock speeds, and almost to a GTX level.. its one of the best overclockers ever.
a b U Graphics card
July 26, 2006 1:10:02 PM

Quote:
...u should get the 7900GT. It can be overclocked far beyond factory clock speeds, and almost to a GTX level.. its one of the best overclockers ever.

Tell that to these 10 pages of 7900GT owners who would be thrilled to get one working at boxed speeds. Lets see if they agree. :twisted:
July 26, 2006 1:32:06 PM

I've got a 7900GT, the KO non-overclocked edition from eVGA. No problems with it, whatsoever. The fan is really quiet and cools the memory. Haven't done too much with overclocking, because it runs games so fast at high settings I haven't found a need. And it's cool, too. Haven't seen it go over 61C at full load, about 52C at idle.

And BTW, my monitor supports 1680 x 1050. I run every game at native, whether natively or with a hack. No problems. The only two games I've had to turn down were FEAR and Prey, have yet to try Oblivion.

My friend has one too, and he's played Oblivion at high settings at 1680 x 1050 (I sold him the monitor :lol: ) with no lagging, and his specs are about the same as mine (check the siggy...)
a b U Graphics card
July 26, 2006 1:38:58 PM

The thing with the 7900GT is some OC very well. Others crap out at the factory overclock speeds, and some OC very high but then quickly die out. So personally, I'd keep that fact in mind before overclocking your card. Most of us here have OC'ed our cards and realize there is a risk of earlier failure if pushed too high. BUT, it's been pretty safe in that if you check your temps and and have no artifacts, you are good to go for the normal life cycle of the card. But with the 7900GT, is scary to think that some people OC like they always have, are impressed with the results, and then hours to weeks later the card just up and dies. My own opinion of your card, if you are happy with your performance/gameplay...don't OC it.
July 26, 2006 2:21:08 PM

Quote:
The thing with the 7900GT is some OC very well. Others crap out at the factory overclock speeds, and some OC very high but then quickly die out. So personally, I'd keep that fact in mind before overclocking your card. Most of us here have OC'ed our cards and realize there is a risk of earlier failure if pushed too high. BUT, it's been pretty safe in that if you check your temps and and have no artifacts, you are good to go for the normal life cycle of the card. But with the 7900GT, is scary to think that some people OC like they always have, are impressed with the results, and then hours to weeks later the card just up and dies. My own opinion of your card, if you are happy with your performance/gameplay...don't OC it.

Finally, some sense in this forum.
July 26, 2006 2:58:41 PM

WOh woh woh, hold the fone here, These ppl probably have issues with setting thier system. I have got 2x 7900gt's with a Dfi mobo and a NeoHe550
. You trippin about that Ati Cards are better than Nvidia. Thats why X-fire sucks to tthe max. Ati cards for all around purposes, Nvidia for extreme Gamers. OC the 7900 all depends on knowledge, skill, and what type of Mobo you've got.
But in the end Id perffer 7900gt. 2 reasons
1. High OC room
2. SLI is far more superior than Crossfire.
you decide :twisted:
July 26, 2006 3:00:27 PM

Quote:
WOh woh woh, hold the fone here, These ppl probably have issues with setting thier system. I have got 2x 7900gt's with a Dfi mobo and a NeoHe550
. You trippin about that Ati Cards are better than Nvidia. Thats why X-fire sucks to tthe max. Ati cards for all around purposes, Nvidia for extreme Gamers. OC the 7900 all depends on knowledge, skill, and what type of Mobo you've got.
1. High OC room

Is English your native language 'cos your sentance phrasing there was terrible.

Quote:
a b U Graphics card
July 26, 2006 3:10:32 PM

Quote:
1. High OC room

:roll: LOL, boy I struck a nerve huh. It's rough being in denial, so I'll let it slide. :lol: 

Did you even click the link to the eVGA forums where there are 10 pages IN THAT THREAD ALONE of people who own bad 7900's. Even eVGA reps created stickies for the issues. System issues, lol, get real. Some people just can't admit to the obvious. You got two good ones, and maybe 95% of people get good ones, but the net is downright loaded with GF7900 burning up complaints. It's still a huge failure rate comapred to any other current ATI/NV card.

Come back in denial again, my trigger finger is itchy today. How many dozen links do you want? :wink: :tongue:
July 26, 2006 3:34:28 PM

Quote:
Thanks; I'm some sort of ATI fanboy I guess. :wink:
July 26, 2006 3:36:15 PM

Quote:
Thanks; I'm some sort of ATI fanboy I guess. :wink:

Hehe, there with your ATI 7900gts.
a b U Graphics card
July 26, 2006 3:36:18 PM

:lol: 

Must be fanATIcism in there somewhere trying to slip out.
July 26, 2006 3:37:18 PM

Quote:

fanATIcism

Now that is impressive, never seen that one before!
a b U Graphics card
July 26, 2006 3:40:51 PM

:D  Just you wait and see. If his 2 7800GT's are replaced by the X1950XTX :roll: , then you know he'd infected.
July 26, 2006 3:48:08 PM

Quote:
Come back in denial again, my trigger finger is itchy today. How many dozen links do you want? :wink: :tongue:

Better stay away from Paul, he looks pissed. :wink:
July 26, 2006 3:50:25 PM

This is well off subject but im realy stuck on this crossword.

Spanish wine shop, 6 letters

and

Viscosity units; fuels (furnace), 6 letters

and

(One's) former school, 4 letters then 5.

Any help would be much appreciated and please don't flame me for hijacking the thread.
a b U Graphics card
July 26, 2006 4:01:36 PM

Quote:
Better stay away from Paul, he looks pissed

LOL, actually I'm all full of smiles today.
July 26, 2006 4:05:01 PM

haha, cool. Good to hear. :wink:

Quote:
SLI is far more superior than Crossfire.

Anything to back that up? This is an old, and incorret argument nowadays. It depends on the cards you use.
July 26, 2006 4:11:00 PM

Quote:

(One's) former school, 4 letters then 5.

alma mater
July 26, 2006 4:15:15 PM

Quote:
Viscosity units; fuels (furnace), 6 letters

Stokes?
July 26, 2006 4:15:49 PM

Thanks for the help so far.

I wasn't specific enough. Let me restate my situation.

1) Both are 256mb and are the same price.
SAPPHIRE 100154SR Radeon X1800XT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 VIVO PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail
eVGA 256-P2-N584-AR Geforce 7900GT KO 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

Both are about the same and both have rebates off and on. So let's assume they are the same price.

2) Noise is not an issue.

3) All I care about is performance in newer games. I don't care if a card gets 170 frames per second in q4 over the other's 140. If it isn't a difference that is noticable, then I don't care.

4) I use a CRT moniter and don't plan on going to LCD for at least 2-3 years. My max resolution is 1280x1024. If ATIs cool quality features work on my moniter then I'd consider that as a plus.

5) I play a lot of variety usually at LANs with friends so I'm not specific to any game.

6) I don't plan on overclocking. Ever. I'm getting such a nice card so I can run all games without risking burning up my card. I'm very limited on cash being a high school student with no time for a job. I don't want to overclock anything.

7) My case is the TT Armor and it has 4 fans. Would that help with keeping both cards fairly cool? I'm new to this stuff.

I'm split between the two cards I linked above. Any help would be appreciated!
July 26, 2006 4:20:21 PM

You should name three or four games you plan on playing.
July 26, 2006 4:23:27 PM

All of them. :D 

On my own time I play older games like Warcraft III, Starcraft, Diablo II. (I'm a Blizzard fan I guess.)

I play newer games with my friends via LAN at one of our houses. I just play whatever they want to. Between us all we have most newer games so it's just whatever we feel like playing.

Just assume that I'll play every game.
July 26, 2006 4:29:22 PM

i would go with x1800xt as it is more reliable and generaly faster
July 26, 2006 4:30:33 PM

I'd go with the X1800XT then.
July 26, 2006 4:31:52 PM

Either will play every game well.

The only one I think that would show a noticable difference would be oblivion maybe, I'd go with the X1800 for that title.
July 26, 2006 4:42:03 PM

Quote:
:D  Just you wait and see. If his 2 7800GT's are replaced by the X1950XTX :roll: , then you know he'd infected.
I'm not buying another DX9 part. :p 
July 26, 2006 4:49:59 PM

I was able to grab a 512 MB x1800XT for 239 AR from the egg. I went through the hassle of bad eVGA 7900 KO cards and switched to the 1800 when I had enough. The default HDR looks amazing. I like to play EQ2 @ 1680x1050 and have no problems on balanaced (for raids) or high quality settings. Im sticking with ATI x1800 this round until dx10 comes around.
July 26, 2006 5:10:17 PM

Well, I bought nVidia because:

1) I use Linux, and ATI's Linux support is god-awful - THG just reviewed their Linux drivers, and had some unpleasant things to say.

2) SLI is a much more mature dual-VPU platform, Crossfire is still pretty new (and there's no Crossfire Support under Linux :wink:) .

3) SLI physics only needs two cards, not like Crossfire (someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think I am), so all I need is a new next-gen card to do SLI physics next year.

4) I prefer the green color scheme :lol: .

5) HDR + AA is a non-sequitor, assuming you can play at your native resolution...one or the other is fine with me. There are ways around it, but I've never found a need.

6) The majority of games I play are OpenGL, and the games I play that aren't run just fine maxed out - there's only a few FPS difference between the cards in most cases, anyway :roll:.

7) ATI's cards run hotter. But then, that's why they have the loud cooler, right? :roll:

8) Since my chipset is nVidia, I wanted to keep the drivers in the same company, just to minimize the chances of problems. Call me crazy, but there could be conflicts in the future if the nVidia chipset says, "Do this!" and the ATI video card says, "Do, do this instead!" and I have to punch a baby to get things working again the night before I have a term paper due and a final on the same day. Not something I need to deal with at school.

nVidia seemed like the better fit. Go figure.
July 26, 2006 5:16:24 PM

How much hotter does the X1800XT generally run than the 7900GT?

Which one, running at stock settings, is more likely to work right out of the box? (I think evga fixed their problems?)

Which, running at stock settings, will more likely be working in 5 years?
July 26, 2006 5:24:24 PM

Quote:

Which one, running at stock settings, is more likely to work right out of the box? (I think evga fixed their problems?)

Those are questions that no one can answer. Neither is any more reliable than the other. Your best bet is to just pick one and hope for the best. More than likely, you'll be ok.
July 26, 2006 5:32:57 PM

Quote:

Those are questions that no one can answer. Neither is any more reliable than the other. Your best bet is to just pick one and hope for the best. More than likely, you'll be ok.

Word. I was crossing my fingers that it would work, and it did, flawlessly. Idles around 51C, full load around 61C. The KO cooler is copper and blows air over both the core and RAM - quietly.

And I can order a free copy of HL2: E1 from eVGA's website. For a while Hitman: Blood Money was available, but I didn't order it.
July 26, 2006 5:33:51 PM

:D  i've seen this debate 20 times here. [ that's why i bought the x1900xt ]
yes the new evga is very safe now since they changed the ram and voltage.
i've seen endless benchmarks on all kinds of games and both cards will do great. only thing i believe evga 7900gt has on the ati cards is life time warenty and the step up program. with in 90 days you can trade your 7900gt for a better card if one comes out. you pay shipping and the price diffrence between the 2 cards..
but you would be pleased with either card..
July 26, 2006 6:01:12 PM

Whoa! Time to respond to set straight one of the more FUDdy posts I've seen in a while:

1) I use Linux, and ATI's Linux support is god-awful - THG just reviewed their Linux drivers, and had some unpleasant things to say.

Who games with Linux? If you use linux thern Nvidia is a good choice I guess, but this is irrelevant for more than 99% of users. If you use linux then you know that gaming with linux is a joke, so what do you want with a high powered 3d card?

2) SLI is a much more mature dual-VPU platform, Crossfire is still pretty new (and there's no Crossfire Support under Linux).

Provide evidence please. I believe this to be a huge exageration, and also assumes that multi-gpu platforms are necessary... not the case. Once again, being able to SLI under linux is like having tits on a bull. Useless.

3) SLI physics only needs two cards, not like Crossfire (someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think I am), so all I need is a new next-gen card to do SLI physics next year.

Correcting you, Crossfire physics works with two cards as well.

4) I prefer the green color scheme :lol: .

And some prefer red. Me, I don't care, as long as it performs...

5) HDR + AA is a non-sequitor, assuming you can play at your native resolution...one or the other is fine with me. There are ways around it, but I've never found a need.

There are no 'ways around' OpenEXR HDR & AA on Nvidia cards. They can't do it, hardware limitation. It's a nice feature if you're system is strong enough to pull it off, and is not resolution dependant as you imply.

6) The majority of games I play are OpenGL, and the games I play that aren't run just fine maxed out - there's only a few FPS difference between the cards in most cases, anyway :roll:.

What are you saying, performance is on par? For most things, sure. Both have their strengths in certain titles, this is hardly a reason to select one brand over the other unless you have a specific game in mind. Not sure why it's on your list.

7) ATI's cards run hotter. But then, that's why they have the loud cooler, right? :roll:

I haven't heard a difference, and if they're hotter they're not much hotter if at all. You've obviously never used an Ati card.

8) Since my chipset is nVidia, I wanted to keep the drivers in the same company, just to minimize the chances of problems. Call me crazy...

OK, you're crazy. This is FUD, a problem you concocted for this list that doesn't exist. Never had a problem with that, on multiple chipsets. Never even once had a problem with an ATi card on an Nforce chipset. For a chipset manufacturer to do that would be suicide.
July 26, 2006 6:35:49 PM

Quote:

I play older games like Warcraft III, Starcraft, Diablo II. (I'm a Blizzard fan I guess.)

Dear god...if thats' all you play then why bother spending $250 for a GPU?
I run all these things on my 9800pro still just fine.....look for something along the lines of a 6800 or x800 for half the price.

I"m not seeing any co-op oblivion here....and the most demanded multiplayer game is along the lines of FEAR or Prey.....but hey, its your money.....between the two...X1800XT gets my vote.
July 26, 2006 6:39:21 PM

Quote:
Whoa! Time to respond to set straight one of the more FUDdy posts I've seen in a while:

Be my guest.

Quote:
Who games with Linux? If you use linux thern Nvidia is a good choice I guess, but this is irrelevant for more than 99% of users.

I do. I guess I would not consider myself 99% of users. I am trying to get games like WoW working under Linux, as a hobby. Don't you have a hobby? No, I guess not. I'll try not to use another OS if it makes you upset...:roll:

Quote:
Provide evidence please. I believe this to be a huge exageration, and also assumes that multi-gpu platforms are necessary... not the case.

Can do. According to a very recent THG article:

"Much to the chagrin of Linux/ATI gaming enthusiasts, Crossfire is not yet supported on this platform. That also means that all Crossfire-related functionality, such as Crossfire Alternate Frame Rate (AFR) and Super Anti-Aliasing (Super AA), also do not work on Linux yet, either."

Quote:
Correcting you, Crossfire physics works with two cards as well.

Thanks. I wasn't sure about that, as I said.

Quote:
There are no 'ways around' HDR & AA on Nvidia cards. They can't do it. It's a nice feature if you're system is strong enough to pull it off, and is not resolution dependant as you imply.

Yes you can, depending on the game you're using. From the TechLounge:

"For example, Half-Life 2 (Lost Coast and Counter-Strike: Source's CS_Militia map use HDR) has an unusual way of going about HDR, and you will have no problems using HDR and AA simultaneously in this game where it is supported."

Quote:
What are you saying, performance is on par? For most things, sure. Both have their strengths in certain titles, this is hardly a reason to select one brand over the other. Not sure why it's on your list.

Yes it is. You don't use a dinner fork to eat salad, you use a salad fork. No matter what brand the dinner fork is, you use the proper utensil. And if you use the wrong utensil at a dinner party, you get scorned :wink:.

You use what is best for the situation you are in most often. People who want the best experience possible in Oblivion, for example, tend to buy ATI cards, because benchmarks have shown that the game favors ATI's current architecture. Your statement is FUD.

Quote:
I haven't heard a difference, and if they're hotter they're not much hotter if at all.

I was speaking generally. Cooling is relative to each situation, as I'm sure you know. But from experience, nVidia cards in this price range on average use less power. And cards that use less power put out heat. Simple science. It's a proven fact that the less power something uses, the less heat it puts out.

For example: I sold my two-week-old BenQ monitor because it was putting out crazy amounts of heat and bought a ViewSonic that uses half the amount of energy - runs much cooler.

And my case is pretty quiet since I silenced my fans, so I would notice a cooler louder than the one I have now.

Quote:
OK, you're crazy. This is FUD, a problem you concocted for this list that doesn't exist. Never had a problem with that, on multiple chipsets. Never once had a problem with an ATi card on an Nforce chipset. For a chipset manufacturer to do that would be suicide.

Your mom's FUD! STFU N00B!!! LOLOLOL!!!
Just because you've never had a problem doesn't mean no one else will. I didn't want to take a risk. I'm not saying it will happen, but I'm not saying it won't, either. I wanted to minimize the chances of a driver conflict. So sue me for trying to minimize problems. And I wanted an 8th reason...
July 26, 2006 6:42:35 PM

Quote:
Once again, being able to SLI under linux is like having tits on a bull. Useless.

LMAO :lol:  That's going straight into my sig!
July 26, 2006 6:51:51 PM

I do. I guess I would not consider myself 99% of users. I am trying to get games like WoW working under Linux, as a hobby. Don't you have a hobby? No, I guess not. I'll try not to use another OS if it makes you upset...:roll:

My hobby is straightening out FUD. Heheh. IN any case, Linux is useless for most gamers. But Like I said, if you use linux, then Nvidia is a good choice for you.

Can do. According to a very recent THG article:

You misunderstand. Not evidence of SLI & Linux (irrelevant), but evidence that SLI is notably superior to Xfire...

Thanks. I wasn't sure about that, as I said.

No problem.

Yes you can, depending on the game you're using. From the TechLounge:

No, you can't Half Life does not use OpenEXR HDR. It is proprietary HDR, unlike OpenEXR which is use in Oblivion, Far Cry, etc. In those games there is no workaround. Hardware limitation with 6x00 and 7x00 chipsets.

Yes it is. You don't use a dinner fork to eat salad, you use a salad fork. No matter what brand the dinner fork is, you use the proper utensil. And if you use the wrong utensil at a dinner party, you get scorned :wink:.

You use what is best for the situation you are in most often. People who want the best experience possible in Oblivion, for example, tend to buy ATI cards, because benchmarks have shown that the game favors ATI's current architecture. Your statement is FUD.

Which statement? That performance is on par? That causes Fear Uncertainty and Doubt? You make no sense here, mate... elaborate

I sold my two-week-old BenQ monitor because it was putting out crazy amounts of heat and bought a ViewSonic that uses half the amount of energy - runs much cooler.

Interesting. However, your BenQ monitor is not a reason to choose a vendor over the other... :p 

Quote:
OK, you're crazy. This is FUD, a problem you concocted for this list that doesn't exist. Never had a problem with that, on multiple chipsets. Never once had a problem with an ATi card on an Nforce chipset. For a chipset manufacturer to do that would be suicide.

Your mom's FUD! STFU N00B!!! LOLOLOL!!!
Just because you've never had a problem doesn't mean no one else will.

Lol. You haven't had a problem though!
Hey, I'm going to start advocating that nobody use SLI videocards because the drivers might start getting confused which side of the screen to draw for which card.

I mean, just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it's not going to, right?... I should start warning people about this right away! :roll:

July 26, 2006 7:00:38 PM

Is it true that Nvidia's drivers are better than ATIs? I hear people complain about Catalyst.

YourMothersAnAstronaut, what distro do you use? And what are you using to emulate the windows API? Wine, WineCVS, Cedega, etc?

I'm not interested in crossfire/sli, or anything like that. I'm just trying to find out which is the most reliable. Still not sure yet...not sure if I ever will be. :( 
July 26, 2006 7:04:57 PM

Cat's are fine drivers....back in the day though....was a little less pretty.
July 26, 2006 7:06:44 PM

In the past, the ATI drivers were crap, but now, that's really not an issue.
July 26, 2006 7:07:25 PM

It's true that Nvidia's drivers are better for Linux, and for professional CAD and 3d apps (like 3dStudio MAX, etc).

For gaming or 2d work (photoshop, etc), anyone who says Ati's drivers are bad hasn't used them for 2 or 3 hardware generations. Both Ati & Nvidia's drivers are excellent for Windows gaming & 2d stuff.

But foir CAD/Linux, yeah, Nvidia is the way to go.
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest
!