Mammoth Heatinks

oshox

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
I have been shopping around for extreme cooling options for my next build, and have had my eye on the Tuniq Tower 120, the Titan Vanessa, and the Zalman 9700 (I think I like the Titan best, but that may only be because THW said so) My concern is with compatibility; not everyone wants to use this case. I was just wondering, since I am going to buy all of my hardware at once and online, how can I be sure my motherboard and case are compatible with a cooler like the Tuniq Tower?
If anyone would like to recommend specific models, I would appreciate it greatly.
I am looking for a non-SLI motherboard that will be able to overclock the e6600 to close to four gHz.
I am looking for a mid-tower or desktop case with good airflow and less than 30 db operation.

illinikevin

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2006
Some heatsink manufactures have compatability lists for there products. Just check out their websites. As far as fitting in your case your on your own. You'll just have to check dimensions from manufactures and hope it fits. Best bet is to list your mobo and heatsink selections and post them here to see if anyone has the same setup or knows of problems. How much do you have to spend on a new case? There is a wide selection and that will help narrow down your choices.

Eviltwin17

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
make sure you get some arctic silver 5 with that heatsink. also any capable motherboard should be able to OC well. Just dont buy a cheapo one for 50 bucks as it will probably be crappy. What you should really be concerned about is the quality of the ram you want to buy. Ram is the most limiting factor when it comes to overclocking a processor. If your ram is crappy then you wont get a huge overclock because of stability issues. So do yourself a favor and buy some gaming ram (OCZ, Corsair XMS) with the lowest timings possible.

oshox

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
For the case, I am looking to stay around $100. I'm not looking for anything spectacular. A trio I had in mind:
Tuniq 2 The VGA duct will have to be removed, of course
Antec P-180 Big and Expensive, but so sweet
Lian Li PC-7BplusII Another beautiful Lian Li case, and inexpensive, too

For the motherboard, I'm looking for a basic Conroe-compatible board. Two I had in mind:
Intel DP965LT
BIOSTAR TForce4U-775 Not 100% sure this board is Conroe-Ready

For Omid: I meant to say Zalman 7700. Links here and here.

illinikevin

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2006
I think either of those cases will work with either cooler. As for the boards the Biostar has a Nvidia chipset so I doubt it is currently capable of running the Conroe also it only supports ddr2 up to 667. If your looking to build soon you will have to get a board with an intel chipset. Also I don't think that tunic tower can be bought yet.