Old CPU on new motherboard - Good Idea?

matt8268

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2006
So I ordered (and have mostly received) all the parts for a brand new system except the CPU, I'm waiting for Core 2 Duo. If the CPU's are available Thur, I'm happy. If it turns out it's going to be a while, I want to know if it's okay to pop in an old CPU into my otherwise brand new machine to tide me over while I configure the system, set up my hard drive, etc. So really there are two questions:

1. In general, is a CPU swap like this advisable, or is it advisable to reinstall Windows after such a move (as I have read it is smart to do after installing a new motherboard).

2. If it's generally okay, would my new Intel DP965LT board work with this Dell part:
PROCESSOR, 80532, 2.66G, 512, 533, SOCKET N, DECISION ONE.
Supported Procs for the motherboard are listed here: http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/lt/lt_proc.htm

It looks like it's on the list under processor 805, but I want to make sure.

Thanks guys,
Matt.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Yep, if everything is compatible, switching a processor out for a different one is as uncomplicated (Windows wise) as switching RAM. Just the hardware portion of the install is more time consuming.

Drahken

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
You used to have to re-install windows when going from one processor to two, not sure if this is still the case though.

Eviltwin17

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
with older systems you need to reinstall windows but now you usually do not need to reinstall windows, although it is always a good idea to start with a fresh load when you upgrade the processor.