Registry key permissions

Tim

I have been trying to get spell check in Word 97 working on Terminal Services with no avail. I have been told to allow the special permissions to the below key.

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Proofing Tools\Spelling

I was told to give users at least Set Value and Create Subkey special permissions to the
above key.

Now I am not sure how to apply permissions to registry keys, could I please recieve some assistance as this has become a real hair puller. I have installed Office97 with all the compatability scripts in Install Mode and with the Termsrv command lines.

You can modify registry permissions using the Security menu in regedt32.exe.

Hope this helps

Oli

"Tim" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have been trying to get spell check in Word 97 working on Terminal
>Services with no avail. I have been told to allow the special permissions
>to the below key.
>
> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Proofing Tools\Spelling
>
> I was told to give users at least Set Value and Create Subkey special
> permissions to the
> above key.
>
> Now I am not sure how to apply permissions to registry keys, could I
> please recieve some assistance as this has become a real hair puller. I
> have installed Office97 with all the compatability scripts in Install Mode
> and with the Termsrv command lines.

Tim

Thanks for that Oli,
But for some reason, I do not see the "security or permissions" menu option
on a win 2000 computer through the regedt32. I am trying
to change the security permissions on the registry key. It is visible within Xp tho.

--------------------
>From: =?Utf-8?B?VGlt?= <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
>Subject: Re: Registry key permissions
>Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 23:36:03 -0700
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server
>
>Thanks for that Oli,

But for some reason, I do not see the "security or permissions" menu option

on a win 2000 computer through the regedt32. I am trying

to change the security permissions on the registry key. It is visible within Xp tho.
-----

Are you sure you are running Regedt32.exe and not Regedit.exe, because you only have the Security menu in
Regedt32.exe on Windows 2000. Regedt32.exe should have the Security menu even when logged in as a User.

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.

Tim

Hi Bill,

I have tried using both Reg Editors. On a XP PC I can see the security permissions area using regedt32 but using the same editor in Windows 2000 I cannot see the tab or option at all. it is quite a little mystery.

--------------------
>From: =?Utf-8?B?VGlt?= <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
>Subject: Re: Registry key permissions
>Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 19:06:03 -0700
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server
>
>Hi Bill,

I have tried using both Reg Editors. On a XP PC I can see the security permissions area using regedt32 but using the same
editor in Windows 2000 I cannot see the tab or option at all. it is quite a little mystery.
-----

On Windows XP Regedt32.exe is simply a stub that points to Regedit.exe, where Permissions should be under the Edit
menu.

Are you running Regedt32.exe locally on the Windows 2000 system or are you accessing the regitry remotely?

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.

Tim

Hi Bill,

I have located and made amendments to the Registry key permissions within Windows XP.

With the Windows 2000 SBS server edition I am logged on as Administrator and locally using the Regedt32.exe, but can still not see any Permissions or Security options.

Thanks again.

--------------------
>From: =?Utf-8?B?VGlt?= <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
>Subject: Re: Registry key permissions
>Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 22:46:04 -0700
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server
>
>Hi Bill,

I have located and made amendments to the Registry key permissions within Windows XP.

With the Windows 2000 SBS server edition I am logged on as Administrator and locally using the Regedt32.exe, but can
still not see any Permissions or Security options.

Thanks again.
-----

The only thing I can think is something else that is installed may be affecting it. Since you said it is SBS I'm assuming it is
your DC. If you can find time to do it, reboot this system into Safe Mode to see if the Security menu is still missing from the
Menu Bar in Regedt32. If you have another Windows 2000 machine, does not have to be SBS, check to see if
Regedt32.exe has the Security menu. If it does copy Regedt32.exe from this system to the SBS system and run it on the
SBS system to see if the Security menu is still missing.

As a work around, if you haven't already you can open the SBS system's registry remotely from your XP system and
change the permissions.