Facebook Urges Staff to Switch From iPhone to Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

myromance123

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
You'd think they would not want to advocate a Google product, but since G+ is a direct competitor with FB they can't stand to lose face. Moving into Google's ground fiercely, so that they can keep their own ground. Interesting. Still hate FB though.

buddy78

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012
I have a Iphone and will not replace it with an Android phone. I admit it the Samsung S3 is very impressive, along with a host of other android phones. If I was starting fresh I would definitely consider a Andriod based phone, but there are 3 reasons why I am not going to switch which would apply for anyone else that already has an Iphone

1. The Samsung S3 or Nexus 4 are not a night and day difference from the Iphone. All have an Easy to use Interface, a solid camera, tons of apps, and great coverage.

2. I have an Ipad, AppleTV, and a Macbook air that work Seamlessly together with the Iphone. I do not know of any Andriod based system that Unifies all devices like Apple does. Even if I got the S3, Galaxy Tab, HTPC, and a new laptop. I would have to spend many hours getting them to work even a fraction as well. With Apple I just have to sign in to iCloud.

3. Apps, Videos, and Music. Over the last 4 years I have had a Iphone I have purchased several Hundred Dollars worth of these items. If I switch, I have to start over again.

senshu

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2010
[citation][nom]senshu[/nom]Um, buddy78: I don't think they're asking you to switch. Unless you're a facebook employee, in which case why not tell your manager what you've shared with us here?[/citation]

senshu

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2010
Um, buddy 78: I don't think they're asking you to switch. Unless you're a facebook employee, in which case why not tell your manager what you've shared with us here? :)

jimmyjohnz

Honorable
May 14, 2012
[citation][nom]myromance123[/nom]You'd think they would not want to advocate a Google product, but since G+ is a direct competitor with FB they can't stand to lose face. Moving into Google's ground fiercely, so that they can keep their own ground. Interesting. Still hate FB though.[/citation]

They're doing this because the mobile market is quickly becoming the highest consumer of internet bandwidth, the majority of which is taking place on Android devices. And let's face it, Android Facebook sucks. Crashes all the time, pretty poor performance. If Facebook doesn't want to start losing market share to the smoother Android experience that is Google+, they'll have to improve their single app. It's really a no brainer on their part. It's not like they can spontaneously whip up their own competing mobile OS to take on Android directly, so they might as well compete with G+ on Android. Same as Google still making apps to put on iOS.

p4nz3rm4d

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
[citation][nom]dauntekong[/nom]Their line chart reminds me of something.... oh yeah the rate of Apple Stock Market falling LMAO!!![/citation]

clearly you havnt seen it recently...

G

"That's because their android app sucks and they want their employee's to see that."

So true. The FB app hangs all the time, double posts, opens to random pages, etc. It's really bad and if FB can get it sorted I might be arsed to actually use it (instead of just opening the page in a browser).

bllue

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
[citation][nom]myromance123[/nom]You'd think they would not want to advocate a Google product, but since G+ is a direct competitor with FB they can't stand to lose face. Moving into Google's ground fiercely, so that they can keep their own ground. Interesting. Still hate FB though.[/citation]
G+ has never been relevant

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Regardless of who you like or who you don't like, I find it troubling when a company pushes a product not their own on employees. If this was Google getting their employees to use Android, or if Facebook was getting people to dump their Google+ account and stick with Facebook, I can understand. Fact is, it makes a company look bad if employees use competitor's product. But that isn't the case here. They can get their design team to improve on the platform without pushing everyone in the company to switch.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
If Facebook, or any company, wants their employees to use a certain type of phone, then the company needs to sign the contract, pay for the phones and monthly bill, and hand them out. If the company isn't willing to do that, then they should keep quiet about what their employees use.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]dauntekong[/nom]Their line chart reminds me of something.... oh yeah the rate of Apple Stock Market falling LMAO!!![/citation]

How does a line chart showing iPhone gaining market share remind you of anything falling? It may not being going up as fast as Android, but it's still a projection of growth.

If you have difficulty telling up from down, perhaps a visit to the opthamologist is in order.

tomaz99

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
[citation][nom]drosencraft[/nom]Regardless of who you like or who you don't like, I find it troubling when a company pushes a product not their own on employees. If this was Google getting their employees to use Android, or if Facebook was getting people to dump their Google+ account and stick with Facebook, I can understand. Fact is, it makes a company look bad if employees use competitor's product. But that isn't the case here. They can get their design team to improve on the platform without pushing everyone in the company to switch.[/citation]

I think there is something else behind this FB "push" other than
"...but the aim in the switch to Google's mobile platform is apparently due to improved functionality for the Facebook app"

Having employees switch their phones seems more like a "diss" to Apple...for whatever reason.

I just don't believe the "to improve functionality" reason.

p4nz3rm4d

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
[citation][nom]burmese_dude[/nom]Suck on that Apple. Hopefully this doesn't lead to Apple suing FB since Apple loves to sue and sue.[/citation]

...and Samsung dont?

Status
Not open for further replies.