Alright guys.. Price cuts on the AM2 processors have finally hit a close retailer here, and I am considering the jump to that platform. I have read and educated myself on this conclusion, but would like some questions to be answered if possible..
Firstly, I consider to purchase an AM2 setup as opposed to a Conroe due to 'AM3' compatability with the AM2 platform. I understand that when 65nm on AMD processors roll around, I will be able to upgrade my system simply through the processor.. Which is good. I also consider $130 Canadian for a 3800+ X2 to be rather sexy hot.
Now for my questionnaire:
1) Concerning FSB speeds, currently limited to 1000mhz on AM2 motherboards, will I need to be worried about 'AM3' using higher FSB clocks, thus requiring me to upgrade my Mobo aswell as my processor?
2) Using two hard drives NOT in Raid, is it efficient to have my primary 10,000rpm as my OS and executables drive, while keeping storage on a seperate hdd.. Keeping in mind that I will be playing games and rendering work, is it better to do this as mentioned or the other way around?
3) RAM quality of DDR800 seems to be a big pet peeve with AM2. Should I be concerned with purchasing the best of the best, due to performance issues with poor ram?
4) Should I keep my current socket754 setup, with my 7800GS AGP, and purchase a rare 3700+ 1mb cache, for $200 CDN and just stretch it's lifespan until AM3 rolls around and I can truly enjoy AMD > Intel supremacy again.
Thanks a lot guys.. Hope to see some responses, my Ebay 3700+ is selling, and I need a decision by tommorow night
1) No. Although, the only mobo chipset for AM2 I would get is the nForce 590.
2) Yes, that is the better and more logical way.
3) Do NOT skimp on the RAM for AM2. I just bought the $250 4-4-4-12 Corsair XMS RAM from newegg as opposed to the more expensive but same timings $291 RAM. Do not settle for the 5-5-5-15 RAM, that is way too slow. Besides, the RAM I got (6400C2 or something like that) is fast and it has EPP so it can autoreconfigure itself to lower timings -- someone got it down to 2-3-2-4.
4) I just bought a complete AM2 system and I just had socket 754. I am forseeing the AM3 and K8L in my future. Also, I can't wait for Conroe because of money and travel issues.