Memory voltage to high?!?

Ragnarok

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
I am looking to get the Gigabyte GA-M55SLI-S4 Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce4
but it says that it supports DDR2 1.8v memory.

Does that mean the memory I get will have to be 1.8v?!!?

Please help! I need to order my parts by today!!!

slicessoul

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
DDR are different than DDR2. Google it dudes "DDR vs DDR2".
DDR voltage is 2.5 DDR2 is 1.8v. Total pins are different too... so no worries on having DDR2 1.8v dudes. It's a normal voltage. DDR memories cannot match in DDR2 slots.

Ragnarok

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
DDR are different than DDR2. Google it dudes "DDR vs DDR2".
DDR voltage is 2.5 DDR2 is 1.8v. Total pins are different too... so no worries on having DDR2 1.8v dudes. It's a normal voltage. DDR memories cannot match in DDR2 slots.

No, I mean if I get some DDR2 memory with voltage of 2.0, will my mother board support it if it says it supports voltage of 1.8.

slicessoul

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
Is there any DDR2 with 2 volt reference ? What kind of DDR2 is that ? Corsair, Geil, Kingston ?

Normally the motherboard will support the 2 volt easily. You can change this in the BIOS; But I'm not really sure. Try to check in GigaByte site. Good Luck dudes. Sorry for the missunderstanding.

Ragnarok

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
No problem, but the gigabyte site says the boards they have support 1.8v, the ocz ram I want is 2.0v. Will I be able to get them to work together?

slicessoul

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
If you are sure that this motherboard support overclocking, then i'm sure it will have an option in the BIOS.

I've checked in OCZ n Gigabyte site. Not so much info and support can pleased you. But i've made some croslinked info between ASUS n Gigabyte and i don't know it'll help much. Asus AM2 mainboard support 1.8v DDR2, and you can raise the voltage in BIOS until 2.5v, i supposed Gigabyte would do the same. Besides, nearlly all new mainboard support overclocking, others no one will buy them :wink: . If you like to try and error, i give you my GOOD LUCK. Besides, if you buy a new parts, you'll have warranty right ?

Mondoman

Splendid
1.8V is the standard DDR2 voltage, but DDR2 is so new that as you saw, vendors sometimes rate their DDR2 memory at higher voltages. They use the higher voltages because their memory won't work properly at the given speed at a lower, standard voltage. Essentially, they are selling you "overclocked" memory. Given a choice between 2 different modules similar in price, go for the one rated at a lower voltage, as it uses "better" memory chips.