apprentice25

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
First time builder needs help with wiring.
I looked at the power switch on the case. I cable that connects to it from the case has a double sided connector. Why is this, and which one do I use? In addtion, do the rear USB ports have to be wired? The ones that come attached to the board.
Does anyone know what VCC 2 (red) mean?

Thanks in advance

apprentice25

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
It is an Asus M2N-E and a Lian Li case. My guess is that only one connector is used. I looked in the MB manual and as yet have not figured out where to put the connector.

jimw428

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006
Rear panel USB ports on the MB do not need to be wired. The USB pin outs on the MB are for wiring front panel or rear bracket mounted USB connectors.

The VCC2 pins are positive supply voltage that can be around +3 volts for the processor core but can also refer to +5 volts for other devices.

If this is on a USB cable it could refer to the + voltage for USB cable 2. If this is the case, then you should see a reference to VCC1 which would be + voltage for USB cable 1. You must be very careful to match these cables correctly with the MB pin outs, otherwise any USB device you attach will be damaged since the connector supplies power for the attached device. Most case USB cables have a pin hole covered that matches up with a MB connector that has a missing pin to ensure proper connection.

Don't know what you mean by a "double sided connector" for the power switch. The front panel power switch is normally a single pole momentary contact switch that signals the MB to turn power on. Check the Lian Li web site and there should be more info available. BTW, could you be referring to the Power LED cable connector?

Some cases have a front panel LED that will glow in different colors depending on the state of MB power (on or standby). This type of LED will require additional wiring connectors.

Amphoteric

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2006
Define "double sided connector". Your power on switch should have two wires. If it has more please give the make and model of your lian li case.

VCC is the 5+ positive power line. VCC2 probably means it is one of two USB 5+ lines. Connect the VCC line to the pin in the mobo that is labeled "+".

http://pinouts.ru/Slots/USB_pinout.shtml

Use the provided link for more information.

And no, you don't have to connect the rear USB ports if you don't want to use them. You might as well hook them up if you have USB case/add in cards/wires and available mobo pinouts.

First time builder needs help with wiring.
I looked at the power switch on the case. I cable that connects to it from the case has a double sided connector. Why is this, and which one do I use? In addtion, do the rear USB ports have to be wired? The ones that come attached to the board.
Does anyone know what VCC 2 (red) mean?

Thanks in advance

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
It is an Asus M2N-E and a Lian Li case. My guess is that only one connector is used. I looked in the MB manual and as yet have not figured out where to put the connector.

Lian Li has bad documentation. There are lots of people in this boat with ya.

ur trying to connect the front USB ports to the mb right?

G

lets make it simple pin 1 is red vcc +5v
2 is white data- pin 3 is green data+ pin 4 ground black
do the other side the same way