finally completed mq!

finally got round to completing it today.

ive completed bloodmoons mq in a previous game, but always foudn the 4th and
5th tasks too tedious to do, but i got through them today. would've been
nice to do it a bit earlier, as the majority of enemies were a bti eays to
kill (level 47 or 48).

want to start a new game and try roleplaying a bit mroe. lkast character
ended up being an overly powerful jack of all trades.
anyone fancy suggesting some nice combinations to make things a little
challenging, or should i just choose stuff completely randomly and see what
happens?

Adam Lion wrote:

> finally got round to completing it today.
>
> ive completed bloodmoons mq in a previous game, but always foudn the 4th and
> 5th tasks too tedious to do, but i got through them today. would've been
> nice to do it a bit earlier, as the majority of enemies were a bti eays to
> kill (level 47 or 48).
>
> want to start a new game and try roleplaying a bit mroe. lkast character
> ended up being an overly powerful jack of all trades.
> anyone fancy suggesting some nice combinations to make things a little
> challenging, or should i just choose stuff completely randomly and see what
> happens?

If you want a real challenge try a magic user with no armor or weapons.
In the beginning they can be easier than a fighter, but later the lack
of backup starts to make a difference. Especially if you don't "abuse"
the alchemy skill to make god potions.

Adam Lion wrote:

> finally got round to completing it today.
>
> ive completed bloodmoons mq in a previous game, but always foudn the 4th and
> 5th tasks too tedious to do, but i got through them today. would've been
> nice to do it a bit earlier, as the majority of enemies were a bti eays to
> kill (level 47 or 48).
>
> want to start a new game and try roleplaying a bit mroe. lkast character
> ended up being an overly powerful jack of all trades.
> anyone fancy suggesting some nice combinations to make things a little
> challenging, or should i just choose stuff completely randomly and see what
> happens?

It's amusing to play as one of the beast races, if you haven't tried
that. You can't wear boots or closed-face helmets, and it makes the MQ
a bit more deliciously ironic. :)

"Michael W. Ryder" wrote:

> If you want a real challenge try a magic user with no armor or weapons.
> In the beginning they can be easier than a fighter, but later the lack
> of backup starts to make a difference.

High unarmored skill and good summon_badass spells are nice. Don't
forget to sneak lot. :)

I don't think it's realistic to have NO WEAPON, especially not later,
when you are sometimes confronted by two or more badasses at once.
Bound_dagger or something like that creates a magical weapon
temporarily.

Adam Lion wrote:

> finally got round to completing it today.
>
> ive completed bloodmoons mq in a previous game, but always foudn the 4th and
> 5th tasks too tedious to do, but i got through them today. would've been
> nice to do it a bit earlier, as the majority of enemies were a bti eays to
> kill (level 47 or 48).
>
> want to start a new game and try roleplaying a bit mroe. lkast character
> ended up being an overly powerful jack of all trades.
> anyone fancy suggesting some nice combinations to make things a little
> challenging, or should i just choose stuff completely randomly and see what
> happens?

My most fun character for roleplay was Marcus the Imperial, custom class
of Gambler. Stealth base, main attributes of personality and luck. Major
skills were speechcraft, merchant, unarmoured, sneak & short blade. He
never used anything daggers, preferring to talk and bribe his way out of
trouble, and never wore armour or carried a shild. He went from town to
town listening to the rumours and doing the odd shady jobs for people
here and there. He never got involved with the Blades but did eventually
become a successful Morag Tong hitman before he retired when Lord Malal
Demandred came to the island to carve out his legend in blood and
fire.....

Pete MC wrote:

> My most fun character for roleplay was Marcus the Imperial, custom class
> of Gambler. Stealth base, main attributes of personality and luck. Major
> skills were speechcraft, merchant, unarmoured, sneak & short blade. He
> never used anything daggers, preferring to talk and bribe his way out of
> trouble, and never wore armour or carried a shild. He went from town to
> town listening to the rumours and doing the odd shady jobs for people
> here and there. He never got involved with the Blades but did eventually
> become a successful Morag Tong hitman before he retired when Lord Malal
> Demandred came to the island to carve out his legend in blood and
> fire.....

:)

Michael W. Ryder wrote:

> If you want a real challenge try a magic user with no armor or weapons.

This is more of a challenge because the stupid unarmored doesn't work
properly. I was just running from Vos a bit southward into the country
with no armor equipped, unarmored skill 52, around 80 health points. Ran
into a diseased nix-hound. One hit -> health down to ~ 40%. Second hit
-> dead. Reloaded again, worn my light chitin armor (skill around 40),
ran into the same diseased nix-hound. One hit -> health down to maybe 90%.

I'd love to play a "pure mage" who runs around with a robe and casts
bound-something when required. Alas, as Bethedsa couldn't get the
unarmored calculations right, a "pure mage" seems quite unplayable to me.

I know of no mod that fixes this, and don't think the problem can be
addressed by a mod. Only thing I know is the DodgeMod, which adds some
sanctuary depending on unarmored skill. However, once something hits
you, it hits hard.

Ranting,

Peter

Peter Strempel wrote:

> Michael W. Ryder wrote:
>
> > If you want a real challenge try a magic user with no armor or weapons.
>
> This is more of a challenge because the stupid unarmored doesn't work
> properly. I was just running from Vos a bit southward into the country
> with no armor equipped, unarmored skill 52, around 80 health points. Ran
> into a diseased nix-hound. One hit -> health down to ~ 40%. Second hit
> -> dead. Reloaded again, worn my light chitin armor (skill around 40),
> ran into the same diseased nix-hound. One hit -> health down to maybe 90%.
>
> I'd love to play a "pure mage" who runs around with a robe and casts
> bound-something when required. Alas, as Bethedsa couldn't get the
> unarmored calculations right, a "pure mage" seems quite unplayable to me.

Unarmored mages carry restore health potions, don't they? Either that,
or a constant-effect restore health/fatigue charm.

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 12:31:11 +0200, Peter Strempel
<peterstrempel@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Michael W. Ryder wrote:
>
>> If you want a real challenge try a magic user with no armor or weapons.
>
>This is more of a challenge because the stupid unarmored doesn't work
>properly. I was just running from Vos a bit southward into the country
>with no armor equipped, unarmored skill 52, around 80 health points. Ran
>into a diseased nix-hound. One hit -> health down to ~ 40%. Second hit
>-> dead. Reloaded again, worn my light chitin armor (skill around 40),
>ran into the same diseased nix-hound. One hit -> health down to maybe 90%.

Just out of curiosity, do you remember if the nix-hound had more
trouble hitting you when you were Unarmored than when you wore your
Light Armor? I have never tried Unarmored myself, so I may be talking
though my helm, but I always assumed that Unarmored would work like
the Dodge skill in Daggerfall -- it would simply make you much harder
to hit, rather than protecting you when you were hit. If it doesn't,
then it really is broken.
--
Nyctolops

Nyctolops wrote:

> Just out of curiosity, do you remember if the nix-hound had more
> trouble hitting you when you were Unarmored than when you wore your
> Light Armor? I have never tried Unarmored myself, so I may be talking
> though my helm, but I always assumed that Unarmored would work like
> the Dodge skill in Daggerfall -- it would simply make you much harder
> to hit, rather than protecting you when you were hit. If it doesn't,
> then it really is broken.

I don't have much "unarmored experience" either. Until now I played
characters proficient in at least one armor class, usually Light Armor.

Some months ago there was a thread on unarmored in this newsgroup. I
just ran some tests and could confirm what was previously said here:
Your AC value will properly raise with a high unarmored skill. But the
damage reduction for a hit you receive does not take place unless you
wear at least one piece of armor. This can be easily verified by setting
an unarmored skill of 20 in the console, toggle combat statistics on and
fight some weak critter like a rat or whatever. Then increase the skill
to 100. The damage you receive is the same. When you wear one piece of
light armor (bracers, boots are enough), the damage is reduced. It was
suspected, and I think so as well, that the actual bug is when you don't
wear any armor, the damage reduction calculation is skipped. As this
probably happens somewhere deep inside the game engine, I guess it's not
possible to fix this using a mod. The only fix seems to be to wear one
piece of armor. Wearing boots shouldn't bother even the purists too much.
What's still unclear to me is, if using a shield (or parrying bracers
made available by some mods) but no piece of armor does trigger the
damage reduction calculation.

The vanilla Morrowind unarmored skill does not reduce the hit chance
like in Daggerfall, I think. But you can achieve this effect using the
DodgeMod, which adds a constant Sanctuary effect depending on your
unarmored skill to simulate the effect. Though, if something hits, you
get the full damage.

Overall it's absolutely fine that an unarmored character should stay
away from close combat against foes wielding some heavy two-hander axe.
But a monk type who would dodge blows seems quite difficult to play with
an unmodded game to me.

Peter

ToolPackinMama wrote:

> "Michael W. Ryder" wrote:
>

>>If you want a real challenge try a magic user with no armor or weapons.
>> In the beginning they can be easier than a fighter, but later the lack
>>of backup starts to make a difference.
>

> High unarmored skill and good summon_badass spells are nice. Don't
> forget to sneak lot. :)
>
> I don't think it's realistic to have NO WEAPON, especially not later,
> when you are sometimes confronted by two or more badasses at once.
> Bound_dagger or something like that creates a magical weapon
> temporarily.

Part of the challenge of playing with NO weapons (including bound) is
that it requires a lot of strategy (and luck) to overcome some of the
encounters. Even against a pack of Nix hounds I was able to prevail by
sneaking up on them one at a time and hitting them with a spell. I
think in a case like that summoning backup might actually be a liability
as it will attract the attention of all of the combatants in the area.
I never got much beyond 10th level with this character as I didn't use
alchemy and only carried potions and magic items I picked up. This
seriously limited my choices and my spells weren't powerful enough to
take out some of the opponents.

"Michael W. Ryder" wrote:

> ToolPackinMama wrote:
>
> > "Michael W. Ryder" wrote:
> >

> >>If you want a real challenge try a magic user with no armor or weapons.
> >> In the beginning they can be easier than a fighter, but later the lack
> >>of backup starts to make a difference.
> >

> > High unarmored skill and good summon_badass spells are nice. Don't
> > forget to sneak lot. :)
> >
> > I don't think it's realistic to have NO WEAPON, especially not later,
> > when you are sometimes confronted by two or more badasses at once.
> > Bound_dagger or something like that creates a magical weapon
> > temporarily.
>
> Part of the challenge of playing with NO weapons (including bound) is
> that it requires a lot of strategy (and luck) to overcome some of the
> encounters. Even against a pack of Nix hounds I was able to prevail by
> sneaking up on them one at a time and hitting them with a spell. I
> think in a case like that summoning backup might actually be a liability
> as it will attract the attention of all of the combatants in the area.
> I never got much beyond 10th level with this character as I didn't use
> alchemy and only carried potions and magic items I picked up. This
> seriously limited my choices and my spells weren't powerful enough to
> take out some of the opponents.

I see. Interesting. Well, like I said, I don't think it's realistic...
(etc.) ;)

ToolPackinMama wrote:

> "Michael W. Ryder" wrote:
>
>>ToolPackinMama wrote:

>>>High unarmored skill and good summon_badass spells are nice. Don't
>>>forget to sneak lot. :)
>>>
>>>I don't think it's realistic to have NO WEAPON, especially not later,
>>>when you are sometimes confronted by two or more badasses at once.
>>>Bound_dagger or something like that creates a magical weapon
>>>temporarily.
>>
>>Part of the challenge of playing with NO weapons (including bound) is
>>that it requires a lot of strategy (and luck) to overcome some of the
>>encounters. Even against a pack of Nix hounds I was able to prevail by
>>sneaking up on them one at a time and hitting them with a spell. I
>>think in a case like that summoning backup might actually be a liability
>>as it will attract the attention of all of the combatants in the area.
>>I never got much beyond 10th level with this character as I didn't use
>>alchemy and only carried potions and magic items I picked up. This
>>seriously limited my choices and my spells weren't powerful enough to
>>take out some of the opponents.
>

> I see. Interesting. Well, like I said, I don't think it's realistic...
> (etc.) ;)

Unless you consider Arthurian legend. I don't remember Merlin ever
wearing any armor or engaging in hand to hand combat. I don't pretend
that not carrying a dagger for anything other than ceremonial purposes
to be realistic, but my previous character could dish out the magic
almost as well as any dedicated mage and could kill Any opponent with a
single blow (or dart). I don't think that was any more realistic and at
the end I found combat more an annoyance for the time wasted while I was
on more important business.

"Michael W. Ryder" wrote:

> Unless you consider Arthurian legend. I don't remember Merlin ever
> wearing any armor or engaging in hand to hand combat.

Dude. Doooode. Just cos you don't ~remember~ suchlike doesn't mean...

1) it didn't happen.

2) it makes no sense.

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 08:45:51 -0400, ToolPackinMama
<laura@lauragoodwin.org> wrote:

>It's amusing to play as one of the beast races, if you haven't tried
>that. You can't wear boots or closed-face helmets, and it makes the MQ
>a bit more deliciously ironic. :)

Is there any particular special dialog you get for this? (I'm thinking
of the kind of thing you get when female characters try to become
Nerevarine)

MERLIN

"Peter Strempel" <peterstrempel@yahoo.com> skrev i en meddelelse
> Michael W. Ryder wrote:
>
> > If you want a real challenge try a magic user with no armor or
weapons.

> This is more of a challenge because the stupid unarmored doesn't work
> properly. I was just running from Vos a bit southward into the country
> with no armor equipped, unarmored skill 52, around 80 health points. Ran
> into a diseased nix-hound. One hit -> health down to ~ 40%. Second hit
> -> dead. Reloaded again, worn my light chitin armor (skill around 40),
> ran into the same diseased nix-hound. One hit -> health down to maybe
90%.

> I'd love to play a "pure mage" who runs around with a robe and casts
> bound-something when required. Alas, as Bethedsa couldn't get the
> unarmored calculations right, a "pure mage" seems quite unplayable to
me.

> I know of no mod that fixes this, and don't think the problem can be
> addressed by a mod. Only thing I know is the DodgeMod, which adds some
> sanctuary depending on unarmored skill. However, once something hits
> you, it hits hard.
>

> Ranting,
>
> Peter

Unarmored skill - the stress is on 'skill'. It doen't that your
clothes
can take more hits, like plate-, chain- or leather armor. ´With unarmored
skill, you must rely on blocking and agility to ward off blows, and staff,
spear or ranged weapons, like starts or throwing knives, if you need them.
If your mage just wants to mind his own business, your most
useful spell is a detect animals spell

merlin